Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

UK advice

RogerAure
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · UK advice

Hi,

My better half has kindly given me permission to take off for a 3-4 photography trip in the two last weeks of October. I've narrowed it down to even the Yorkshire/Cumbria area or the Glencoe area. Any thoughts on which one will give the best photographic opportunities in late October? I will be flying in to Manchester/Edinburgh and renting a car.

I would appreciate some advice from those of you from the UK or familiar with these areas. Last year I spent some time in Torridon and loved it.

Roger

Jul 17, 2014 at 07:22 AM
markadams99
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · UK advice

I recommend the Howgills Hills near Sedbergh, 90 minutes up the M6 from Manchester airport.
http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com/p515711727/h6f6f2542#h6f6f2542 and the next few.

The North Yorks Moors are also magical.

When you have more time the area north of Torridon and Ullapool, ie Assynt, is lovely + the ferry from Ullapool to the island of Lewis and Harris then from Tarbert on Harris to the north of Skye then the drive all the way back to Edinburgh or Glasgow airport via Glencoe and much else is fine.

Jul 19, 2014 at 03:06 AM
msshea
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · UK advice

As mentioned, the Howgills are wonderful; plenty of good walking. But what do you enjoy shooting the most? Then we might have more specific recommendations.

Merrill

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:32 PM
RogerAure
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · UK advice

Hi,

Thank you for your input. I shoot landscape, anything landscape. Wildlife, flowers and such is not really a priority. Some autumn colors would be nice.

Roger

Jul 21, 2014 at 06:53 AM
msshea
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · UK advice

Hi Roger,

I've never visited the Dales in autumn, but the majority of trees are oaks. So I'd say the colors would be mostly deep reds, not the brilliant reds and yellows of maple trees. A google search for "Yorkshire Dales Autumn Colors" will give you a sense of that. If you don't already own some, buy the Ordnance Survey maps that cover the areas you're interested in; the Explorer series have the most detail. They come in paper or plastic-coated "Tuff Map" versions. You'll be glad you bought the latter. You can use a dry-erase marker on them to keep track of your routes, etc. www.collinsmaps.com publishes books with all sorts of circular walks in the Dales.

Take every back road you can find.

Merrill

Jul 21, 2014 at 01:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StephenS_CP

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · UK advice

My daughter lived in Cumbria (Penrith) and Lancashire for 10 years. I visited annually. Cumbria and the Lakes district are wonderful. Too many great opportunities to list but span Appleby, Hadiran's wall, Carlisle, as well and the entry point to the Lakes District. Yorkshire Dales (Sedbergh mentioned above is a very large area on the other side of the M6 from Cumbria's Lakes District. I've found it hard to plan an itinerary into the Park. My trip to Ingleton and Settle were very productive. Your Cumbria destination is very accessible from either Manchester or Edinburgh. Glencoe is a much longer, harder drive but very scenic.

If you come in to Edinburgh, you will want to give it at least a day in its own right unless you've already been there.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM
msshea
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · UK advice

Hi Roger,

I just thought of a book that you might find useful. It's "Britain and Ireland's Best Wild Places, 500 Essential Journeys" by Christopher Somerville. A treasure trove of evocative descriptions and specific directions.

Merrill

Jul 24, 2014 at 03:20 AM
nrferguson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · UK advice

I think finding majestic scenery in Scotland will take you too long. Yorkshire Dales are fabulous - Swaledale/Wharfedale or up the NW from Manchester to the Lake District would be my recommendations.
Niall

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:01 AM
RogerAure
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · UK advice

Thank you for all advices. I will be heading for the Yorkshire area. I believe that will offer the most opportunities regardless weather conditions.

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Richard Booth
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · UK advice

Check out Ian Lawson who has beautiful books published on the Isle of Harris and the Cumbia area. He lives in the Cumbria area I believe.

Richard

Aug 06, 2014 at 12:46 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password