FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The Last Frame

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Last Frame

I was photographing this Wool Carder Bee early in the morning, but it was just too warm and the little one got active. I had time for only twelve shots and this is the last frame. Statistics: Out of the twelve, three frames were out of focus. I was wrestling with foreground objects and the bee was clamped to the very end of a Lavender flower -like shooting something at the end of a spring. Of the remaining nine frames I clipped the end of the bee's mandibles in eight of them -like shooting a portrait of a person and not getting their chin in the frame, so from a compositional perspective they won't work. I was looking for an angle that would give me the best framing for the bee when it woke up and I took the shot shown in this post.

Tech Specs: Canon 1D Mark III (F14, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MPE-65mm macro lens (~ 3.5x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Jul 17, 2014 at 02:08 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Last Frame

Crack'in photo! I dig the eyes. Well done

Phil

Jul 18, 2014 at 04:41 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Last Frame

Wonderful shot !

Birdie

Jul 18, 2014 at 07:18 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Last Frame

Fantastic shot John, great detail in the eye and fine hairs.

Question - as you have spent so much time dedicated to diffusion of flash and I come and go from macro work, is it even possible to diffuse it to prevent the type of reflection that occurs on shiny insect parts eg the reflection on the mandible in this shot ? I am returning to macro and have been trying all sorts to get rid of that without success. I suspect I already know the answer as if you get them in your shots then there's probably no hope for me to eradicate them !
I've just posted a couple of shots, if you could stop by and offer your opinions I would be very grateful.

Andy

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Last Frame

Thanks folks

cadman342001 wrote:
Question - as you have spent so much time dedicated to diffusion of flash and I come and go from macro work, is it even possible to diffuse it to prevent the type of reflection that occurs on shiny insect parts eg the reflection on the mandible in this shot ? I am returning to macro and have been trying all sorts to get rid of that without success. I suspect I already know the answer as if you get them in your shots then there's probably no hope for me to eradicate them !
I've just posted a couple of
...Show more

Sorry Andy, I'm just now seeing your question. There are two ways to do it, and neither one is really optimal. The best: Use a really large diffuser really close to the subject. The size and proximity of the diffuser would make it at best impractical, and at worst impossible.

Use a polarizing film over the diffuser, or a polarizing filter. Either way you lose two stops and the resulting light will look kinda odd.

Some angles are going to look harsh no matter what you do.

Jul 23, 2014 at 03:23 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Last Frame

Excellence work.

Aug 02, 2014 at 08:22 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.