New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

mason72

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

So, I got a new B1 and was very disappointed when I plugged in the battery charger and found it to be completely DEAD on arrival. Profoto is sending me a replacement, but in the meantime I was playing with what little juice came with the battery...

I tried to turn on Freeze mode by pressing and holding the energy dial and tapping the Test button (as instructed in the manual); however, I could not get Freeze mode to turn on...is there any reason why it might not be available (e.g. requires a specific Sync mode, battery level, etc.)? Or did I just receive a complete lemon?

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:16 PM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

One of my B1's also came with a battery charger that was dead on arrival... but I already had another B1, with a working charger. I sent mine in to NJ headquarters in USA... waiting for my replacement. I should also say my Profoto Canon TTL Air transmitter is being replaced as well. It no longer makes proper contact with the camera's hotshoe, probably from taking it off and on the camera constantly as the max sync speed even with the transmitter on is 1/200s (even when it's off). Anyway, to answer your question, while the unit is on I press the energy button IN, and at the same time press the test button and it switches to freeze

Jul 17, 2014 at 01:50 AM
mason72

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

Yeah that's what I tried as well...do you press them both at the same time? I've been pressing the energy button, holding it in, and then pressing the Test button.

Jul 17, 2014 at 07:51 AM
slickrick

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

Hi guys, I bought the B1 kit earlier this month and so far no problems to report. I did recive the 1 hour charger as oppose to the 2 hour charger that comes with a single head. It could be a design flaw with those.
I also found it odd, as delsol stated, that you can't use a higher shutter when the transmitter is on the camera and off. Don't know if any software update will fix that because it's happening when the transmitter is off so it has to do with the contact points on the hot shoe.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:32 AM
mason72

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

Yeah, I ended up returning mine. The new one works just fine.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

Wow, a lot of $ for what seems to be a lot of quality problems......hopefully they get them sorted out soon.....

Jul 19, 2014 at 09:49 PM
mason72

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

Yeah I was pretty surprised at all the issues. I have some Profoto gear that's still kicking after 15+ years; I'm not so confident that this guy will make it that long....but it SURE is handy in the meantime.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM
ibengqdurol2

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

I've been pressing the energy button, holding it in, and then pressing the Test button.

Jul 20, 2014 at 08:10 PM
mason72

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Freeze mode with Profoto B1

Yep, that works now (on the new B1).

Jul 20, 2014 at 09:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.