Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

jbourne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

So I've discovered manual lenses. I've done some searching on big_is vs happypageHK vs Leitax, and all the threads seem to be quite old. It looks like happypageHK isn't on eBay anymore, and Leitax..... well, okay, $90 seems like a lot for an adapter. I understand Fotodiox is not very good? At least the old threads appeared to imply that.

Here's my lens setup:

- Distagon 28/2.8 to be mounted on a 6D
- Vario-Sonnar 3.4/35-70 to be mounted on a 550D
- Planar 50/1.7 which already has a big_is adapter mounted on the 6D

I need to buy adapters for the Distagon and the Vario-Sonnar. My big_is one seems decent, though it doesn't focus at infinity (the sharpest is just before). I guess the thickness must be slightly off?

Should I get another brand, or should I just stick to the devil I know? I know Leitax is the best, but as above, I am hesitating to spend $90 per lens, since I'd need at least two, or maybe three of them for the three lenses...

Thanks for any opinions!

Jul 16, 2014 at 03:35 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

You will get a lot more accurate feedback posting this on the Alternate Gear Forum.

The 28/2.8 & 35-70/3.4 are two of my favorite lenses - if you don't like the IQ you're getting from them - it's most likely operator failure - ;+)

The thickness of the C/Y - Canon adapter should be .150 (approx. 5/32"). You can adjust infinity on those lenses - there are adjusting screw under the face plate, but only attempt that with the right tools and mechanical skills.

I use the Happy-HK's but they have been gone for several years. My understanding is the Fotodiox 'PRO" is a good adapter. Professor Jim should be by in a while to confirm.

If you are going to chip the adapters - be sure to purchase the newest ones compatible with the Canon 5d III & 6d's - the Optix v5+ and v6 or the EMF.

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

The best CZ to EOS adapter of the very many that I've used is the Leitax mount kit. The precision-machined Leitax-EOS mount goes over the Contax mount, and securely fastens to the lens using the original mount screw holes, with slightly longer screws that are included in the kit. It's bomb proof. I perfer to not use focus confirm chips, but they're available.

I currently have Leitax mounts for the CZ 35-70/3.4 and 100/3.5 lenses. I previously used Leitax mounts on the 28/2.8 and 100-300/4.5-5.6, and at least one other 35-70/3.4.

Leitax Contax - EOS mount kit, http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lenses-for-Canon-cameras.html

Note that the mount screws on Contax lenses are often glued in, and so you have to be careful to not strip the screw heads. One way to approach this is to heat up the screw and so soften the glue; a thin-tip soldering iron on the head of the screw for a minute should do the trick.

P.S. with respect to Big_is adapters; I haven't used their CZ adapter, but I included a new Big_is Pentax-K to EOS adapter in a recent (and as yet unposted) comparison of six Pentax-K to EOS adapters; the Big_is was the worst and the Rayqual (Kindai) was the best.

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

Simultaneous posts.

Jinx! You owe me a Coke.

P.S. I confirm Maestro Mark's comments about the Happy-HK adapters; they're certainly well above average. Fotodiox Pro CZ to EOS adapters are slightly better, again. Leitax mounts are an additional step up. The step up to Leitax is especially important for wide and very wide lenses, as slight asymmetry in adapter thickness really shows itself in differences between left-right and possibly top/bottom IQ. It'll probably be appreciable for the Distagon 28/2.8, maybe not so much for the 35-70/3.4, but the Leitax is also way more solid and rugged - it's worth every penny.

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:01 PM
jbourne

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

Thanks very much for the replies. @mMontag - yup, I bought those two precisely on that basis, although I'm going to give the Vario-Sonnar to my father who has abandoned all sanity and switched to manual lenses completely. Or maybe he saw the light. I've yet to determine that

@jcolwell - yup, I understand the Leitax is spectacular. It's also priced accordingly - with the big_is being bottom of the barrel at $12 or so, Leitax is well in the $90s and up. My lenses aren't worth THAT much Any suggestions on something "in between"? (I read your post as somewhat positively viewing the Rayqual / Fotodiox).

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:15 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

Hey - Professor Jim - I must be located closer to the server. I'm in Colorado, we don't need Coke anymore - but I did give you a "like" - not that you need it.

The $90 for a Leitex is not a bad price for what you get - the Kindai and CameraQuest add-on adapters cost more than that - I think the E-bay BIN's for the HappyPage HK's was around $70 a few years ago.

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

mMontag wrote:
... I'm in Colorado, we don't need Coke anymore

I know. I was in Boulder for ten days, last month.

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

jbourne wrote:
...@jcolwell - yup, I understand the Leitax is spectacular. It's also priced accordingly - with the big_is being bottom of the barrel at $12 or so, Leitax is well in the $90s and up. My lenses aren't worth THAT much Any suggestions on something "in between"? (I read your post as somewhat positively viewing the Rayqual / Fotodiox).

Based on my experience with the Pentax-K Rayqual, I wouldn't hesitate to get one for Contax.

P.S. your first name couldn't be "Jason", could it... ?

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:39 PM
jbourne

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

jcolwell wrote:
Based on my experience with the Pentax-K Rayqual, I wouldn't hesitate to get one for Contax.

P.S. your first name couldn't be "Jason", could it... ?

Haha. Well... it being an alias and all, it sure is

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:42 PM
jbourne

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

Jeebus!!!! The Rayqual adapters are $175!! Okay, maybe I need to recalibrate my understanding if what makes sense and what doesn't. Big_is screwed me up. Hah.

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

jbourne wrote:
... Big_is screwed me...

Like this? http://tinyurl.com/mj97fr7

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:02 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

I don't use mine anymore as I parted with my Canons - but I used Fotodiox Pro and Leitax for my heavier lens. Both worked flawlessly. Dave

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:09 PM
jbourne

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

jcolwell wrote:
Like this? http://tinyurl.com/mj97fr7

Yeah exactly

---------------------------------------------

dbehrens wrote:
I don't use mine anymore as I parted with my Canons - but I used Fotodiox Pro and Leitax for my heavier lens. Both worked flawlessly. Dave

Would you happen to be selling any adapters? Looks like I'm a buyer

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

P.S. don't forget to try the 35-70/3.4 on your 6D. You'll probably retire the 550D and start saving for another 6D. Just sayin'.

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:25 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best C/Y adapter for a 6D?

jbourne wrote:
Here's my lens setup:

- Distagon 28/2.8 to be mounted on a 6D
- Vario-Sonnar 3.4/35-70 to be mounted on a 550D
- Planar 50/1.7 which already has a big_is adapter mounted on the 6D

I've got the same kit.
I use various ebay adapters with various costs and quality and they all seem to work fine, but one thing about each of them is that the lock-tab (adapter to lens) is weak and you can crank the lens right off your body if you're not really careful. give it a little bend before you mount the lens and it'll stay, but removing it from the lens now requires a steak knife.
just something to watch out for.

the Leitax kit looks like the killer way to go if it's in your budget.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.