Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

I've been thinking of trading my two 5D3 bodies in for more video gear (since that's where most of my work comes from), so when trying to figure out the shutter count (and thus the relative value of my bodies) I downloaded the ShutterCount program from the App store.

It's giving me the following readings:

Body 1 : 3179
Body 2 : 1625

Now, since I've mainly used these for video and not photography I knew the count would be low, but I'm just wondering if the count this program gives is accurate enough to rely on when post ads or considering part-ex pricing.

Jul 16, 2014 at 02:06 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

try eoscount.com. I just used it. But they charge $2/use, or $5/camera with unlimited use.

Jul 16, 2014 at 03:09 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

Thanks I tried that for one of the bodies and it gave the same number so I guess we'll call it accurate

Hmmm.... don't think I've ever sold a camera with this few clicks before!

Jul 16, 2014 at 03:28 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

Dave_EP wrote:
Thanks I tried that for one of the bodies and it gave the same number so I guess we'll call it accurate

Hmmm.... don't think I've ever sold a camera with this few clicks before!

I actually took a picture of the screen showing the shutter count on eoscount.com for the buyer of my 5DIII.

Jul 16, 2014 at 05:34 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

All of them except Canon seem to be rough estimates. That doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong, it just means that it is more of a "in the ballpark".

I personally use EOSinfo since it is free and is close enough:
http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

Jul 16, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

kdrk888 wrote:
I actually took a picture of the screen showing the shutter count on eoscount.com for the buyer of my 5DIII.

Thanks. Sounds like a good plan.

Jul 17, 2014 at 07:30 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

When I sold my old 5D Mark III, it had like 65,000 on the shutter and I got the same amount of money any other 5D3 got, if not more. I would not really give it any considerable discount unless you were at like 75,000+ and even then, minimal difference.

I can't believe people even think twice about any body with under like 50,000 on the shutter... At worst, a replacement is $300-400 with Canon and the 5D3 is rated for 150,000 or so... So at worst, I should have taken about $100 off the selling price for use... But it sold just fine.

With under 10,000? Its practically brand new. You will have NO problem selling it for the normal going rate, if not more.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

Never been able to make EOScount work.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is ShutterCount on 5D3 accurate? Trying to value my bodies.

Invertalon wrote:
With under 10,000? Its practically brand new. You will have NO problem selling it for the normal going rate, if not more.

Thanks. Just got to figure out what the going rate is in the UK at the moment. As usual some people are offering low ball prices while others seem to get premium prices. I'd be perfectly happy with the average. Just need to figure out what that is.

The good news is I dont have to sell this week or even this month but it's something I'm seriously starting to consider.

Jul 17, 2014 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.