New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zacuto

adrianb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zacuto

Hi
Figured the Alt section would be the best place to place this question.

Do any of you use Zacuto Z finder on your DSLR? (to shoot stills,not video). Especially on 6D / 5D3 ? Has anybody tried it?

I'm having a hard time of manual focus glass with my 5Dc. I've been shooting manual glass for years but I want to be able to focus faster, easier.

I'll be upgrading to a live view body soon ( 6D / 5D3) but using the normal live view is quite cumbersome.

Using a Zacuto Z finder makes the job any easier?

Especially on wide angle lenses. Because manual focusing a 135mm is easy (even with through the body's viewfinder).

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zacuto

I use one on my A7 (not a DSLR but same concept). It definitely makes focusing easier, I find myself not needing to use live view zoom as often since I bought it.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:35 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zacuto

This is a little OT and not exactly what you are asking, but, the first time I used a mirrorless camera it was an epiphany. I realized that the EVF made manual focusing easier than ever before. Now using fast manual lenses are a snap, with all the aids that an EVF has for this type of shooting. Anyway, just a thought, but you really sound like a candidate for mirrorless. Why not rent and give it a try?

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:05 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zacuto

I have the Zacuto, and use it sometimes for LV focusing. Unfortunately, D800 is not ideal for this. However, when the sun is shining, it makes this possible.

I also have Hoodman Loupe, and Z-Finder blows it away.

C

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:16 AM
chmod
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zacuto

Yes, I have used a Z Finder on my 1DX quite a bit.

Use case one - as a loupe it makes use of Live View usable in bright light and less of a pain.

Use case two - as the full package, the Video Peaking is absolutely invaluable for shooting video.
Zacuto is Lego-like, and on one hand somewhat of a pain to get the parts and pieces. But keeping things simple allows you to feel less like you need to add more little, special parts.

If I am shooting video with the 1DX, I rarely am without the Z Finder. It does exactly what it claims to do.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zacuto

I attached my Z-Finder with their adhesive frame instead of using the clunky gorilla plate system so that (a) I wouldn't lose screen articulation and (b) I could still keep an arca-swiss plate attached. I failed to consider that the weight of the Z-Finder would pull the articulating screen straight down and require it to be held up. So now I'm working on a custom arca-swiss plate that includes a removable kickstand that holds the Z-Finder in place.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zacuto

galenapass wrote:
This is a little OT and not exactly what you are asking, but, the first time I used a mirrorless camera it was an epiphany. I realized that the EVF made manual focusing easier than ever before. Now using fast manual lenses are a snap, with all the aids that an EVF has for this type of shooting. Anyway, just a thought, but you really sound like a candidate for mirrorless. Why not rent and give it a try?

probably the only mirrorless I'd consider would be a FF (a7/a7r/a7s).

but that would mean working manual focus all the time and I do stuff that requires AF (80 % of the time).

from an image quality stand point of view I know that manual glass + A7/A7R/A7S is a winning combo, but not a practical one for me...

I'll be happy enough with the 6D/5D3....

I was trying to find a way to marry the Canon DSLR Live View and manual focus glass

Jul 24, 2014 at 03:16 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zacuto

Chris Court wrote:
I have the Zacuto, and use it sometimes for LV focusing. Unfortunately, D800 is not ideal for this. However, when the sun is shining, it makes this possible.

I also have Hoodman Loupe, and Z-Finder blows it away.

C

Since I plan using it with 5d3/6D, why do you say D800 is not ideal with the Zacuto?

Jul 24, 2014 at 03:18 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zacuto

I've used the Zacuto Z-Finder 2.5x with a 5DII and 6D. I bought it mainly for video, which I rarely do. I sometimes use it for manual focus LiveView with Alt lenses, and it works very well.

OTOH, I don't have any particular problems with manual focus through the optical view finder and with standard focus screen on FF Canon DSLR. I expect the Z-Finder would be an incredibly valuable focus aid for using Alt lenses on my 1.6x CF Rebel SL1, but I don't think that will come up very often, for me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:28 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zacuto

adrianb wrote:
Since I plan using it with 5d3/6D, why do you say D800 is not ideal with the Zacuto?

The D800 has an absolutely garbage live view. They jumped to 36 megapixels too soon (damn you megapixel war) and didn't yet have a processor that could really handle it in real time. So live view is heavily line-skipped and basically useless for focus. Thank goodness this is reportedly fixed in the D810.

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:53 AM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zacuto

Z finders are fantastic on any camera. If you have prefect eyesight you can get the LCDVF for about 1/2 the price - it's every bit as good optically and a little lighter - but the Z has a diopter which I found necessary to get a sharp image. They are awesome when using MF lenses and working in bright conditions. Been using them for years, just switched from the 5d3 to the A7 and I'm getting another one.

Jul 24, 2014 at 07:04 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zacuto

adrianb wrote:
probably the only mirrorless I'd consider would be a FF (a7/a7r/a7s).

but that would mean working manual focus all the time and I do stuff that requires AF (80 % of the time).

Seems like you are forgetting about the Metabones FE to EF adapter? You can have AF (and even IS) with your Canon lenses on an A7 series camera.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zacuto

Lee Saxon wrote:
The D800 has an absolutely garbage live view. They jumped to 36 megapixels too soon (damn you megapixel war) and didn't yet have a processor that could really handle it in real time. So live view is heavily line-skipped and basically useless for focus. Thank goodness this is reportedly fixed in the D810.

Uesless in some sense or other, perhaps, but although it isn't as nice a non-line-skipped, it focuses perfectly, I haven't missed a single time yet.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.