FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · shootdotedit ?

delsol9400
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shootdotedit ?

Forgive me if this was already covered... did a search and didn't find much. Anyone using Shootdotedit? What are your thoughts? Worth it or not ?

Jul 16, 2014 at 02:15 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shootdotedit ?

I never really understood these editing sites. Your clients books you because of you style of shooting and editing. If you go with these sites, the editing will be way different. Do you they have a way to "match" your editing style?

Jul 16, 2014 at 06:15 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shootdotedit ?

The editing won't necessarily be that different. Ultimately, if they aren't editing like you want them to, you know use them again, and they go out of business if enough people do this and talk poorly about them in such a small industry.

I've heard good things about Shootdotedit.

But I know Scott Mosher personally (he's a member here on FM) and he's fantastic at editing. Talk to him.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shootdotedit ?

aonavy wrote:
I never really understood these editing sites. Your clients books you because of you style of shooting and editing. If you go with these sites, the editing will be way different. Do you they have a way to "match" your editing style?

not true at all in my experience. I used a few people here from FM last year who have editing companies, and they did a fabulous job of making it look just like I would have edited the images.

Talk to Tim Miller http://www.shooteditlove.com/ or Scott Mosher http://www.youjustshoot.com/ on here.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shootdotedit ?

I edit for a few people who shoot digital and film together.
In an hour I would be able to talk to you, get some presets, and be editing your photos the same as you do.
This is provided you can provide well lit shots that do not need a lot of fixing. If most of the work is done in camera global edits are simple.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shootdotedit ?

joelconner wrote:
not true at all in my experience. I used a few people here from FM last year who have editing companies, and they did a fabulous job of making it look just like I would have edited the images.

Talk to Tim Miller http://www.shooteditlove.com/ or Scott Mosher http://www.youjustshoot.com/ on here.

Right- they know what you style is. That is what i'm asking. Do you these site ask to see prior edited work for a reference on how to edit?

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:00 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shootdotedit ?

you obviously have to see previous work to know what the person wants.
you also need good presets.
there is a science behind it that actually works.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:05 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shootdotedit ?

Shootdotedit's unlimited plan is on my list if I ever need to push the panic button (due to volume). All you can eat, under $400 a month. Crazy.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:12 PM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shootdotedit ?

hardlyboring wrote:
you obviously have to see previous work to know what the person wants.
you also need good presets.
there is a science behind it that actually works.

Okay- I didn't know how these sites work

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · shootdotedit ?

aonavy wrote:
Okay- I didn't know how these sites work

well I don't know how anyone else does it but I have a method that works fairly well.
their really is no right or wrong way as long as the result is good.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:56 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · shootdotedit ?

LeeSimms wrote:
Shootdotedit's unlimited plan is on my list if I ever need to push the panic button (due to volume). All you can eat, under $400 a month. Crazy.

Wowzer.

FWIW, I do editing for people needing specific styles - I firmly believe there is no 'look' that cannot be recreated, and I think some people would be surpised on what 'rockstars' actually outsource their work to be edited, so I wouldn't knock it.

Jul 16, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · shootdotedit ?

I know that some of ShootDotEdit's clients have them send their files in JPG, charging more for RAW.

My initial thought is that that would be a huge disadvantage... but for all I know, maybe it's not if WB and Exposure are corrected before sending them.

Would love to hear other's opinions.

Jul 16, 2014 at 01:06 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · shootdotedit ?

Nikon_14 wrote:
Would love to hear other's opinions.

As a base, I do a 500/$500 of the RAWs within 24 hours from receipt of RAW files (generally they up, I download) but ranges if people want a certain look, higher end detailed retouching (a blog set amount in various increments including body modification, skin, lighting alterations and painting) etc.

Jul 16, 2014 at 01:39 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · shootdotedit ?

I looked into shoot.edit and it looked like all they did was corrections.

Jul 16, 2014 at 03:01 PM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · shootdotedit ?

Well, I signed up for shootdotedit @279 a month, unlimited. I even found a coupon code online to get a month free. So far I've uploaded 4 weddings to them, I haven't gotten one back yet. I'm looking forward to the results. Yes, it is just basic color and exposure correcting. Some weddings I shoot pretty clean and there's hardly much to do anyway, other weddings I end up spending a couple hours on. I'm still on the fence, but according to their website I have a month to back out of it, as you have to commit to a year. My style is generally pretty clean, and I only retouch what goes into an album. I've been delivering only a few "artist choice" digitally edited images per wedding, so this system may work for me.

Jul 16, 2014 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.