New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

I worked this image over and over with my laptop while on a recent trip. This and several others in the series always have a ring around the sun, usually triangular shaped. I am pretty sure it is not from overexposure as even the darkest have it.

When I got home, none display it on my wide gamut monitor so I am pretty sure its some gamut issue. But even after converting to srgb jpg. it displays fine on my Wide gamut monitor, but still has a ring on my laptop.

Please tell me if you see a ring, and if so what sort of monitor you are using.

If you have ideas about fixing it for web use, I would be glad to hear, it is fine for printing and my home use.

Any other critique appreciated as well.

This is a 3 image blend with very minimal processing.

Jul 15, 2014 at 07:27 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

subtle ring on NEC PA241, Firefox
No significant visual significance. I would have never noticed if you hadnt encouraged close inspection
when you view the sRGB jpeg are you viewing the downsized version without the ring visible? Possibly some compression artifact

Scott

Jul 15, 2014 at 07:37 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

pretty scene, pleasing colors, foreground flowers help make the comp
I like the subtle magenta toned thin clouds upper right
Scott

Jul 15, 2014 at 07:39 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

The rings are real enough, but they are broad and smooth tonal changes and as expected for an into the sun image (dimmed by the marine layer) on my NEC, but it is very sharp on my Toshiba Laptop. No doubt because it is not able to reproduce all the gradations.

Size does not matter, they show up in ACR on my laptop before processing,

Thanks for the comment, I saw this scene in the morning and knew that I would have a red sky in the evening so I went back and set up for it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 08:27 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

The triangular ring appears to me to be caused by the red channel. The red channel is slightly clipped in that area in your posted sRGB in a triangular/diamond-shaped form around the sun.

Your laptop's gamut is probably more limited in the reds causing a more pronounced effect there. The extent that you have calibrated and profiled your laptop monitor may also have an impact.

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:25 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

Eyeball wrote:
The triangular ring appears to me to be caused by the red channel. The red channel is slightly clipped in that area in your posted sRGB in a triangular/diamond-shaped form around the sun.

Your laptop's gamut is probably more limited in the reds causing a more pronounced effect there. The extent that you have calibrated and profiled your laptop monitor may also have an impact.

The color ring would normally be circular, but the marine layer at the horizon spreads the bottom part. Your analysis is probably correct with regards to the sRGB version although I don't see it on my WG monitor.

I am going to try to take a picture of this post with both monitors at once to show the severity of it.

It might be the reason other people see issues with my images that are not present on my normal monitor. That is, I have out of gamut colors for some monitors.

My laptop is not calibrated and I always reprocess at home. I use it on trips to check my images.

Jul 16, 2014 at 09:01 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

It doesn't look objectionable to me just viewing the image. My comments were based more on what I saw in the PS histogram and clipping indicators (snapshots below).

The reds probably aren't clipped that much in the sRGB - that's why it doesn't look that bad on my monitor. What is likely happening on your laptop is that it is clipping even more red values, not just the ones that are topped-out in the sRGB.

I think you're using an NEC with Spectraview if I remember correctly. If you bought the pre-packaged puck with the monitor, it probably won't work, but if you have an after-market puck or another calibration puck, you could probably calibrate and profile your laptop with Argyll without having to spend more money on profiling software. It might also be worthwhile to check the color settings on your laptop and see what profile it is using. There might be a better stock profile from Toshiba that might work better.

Regarding the image itself, I really like the scene and the mix of colors you captured. I don't care much for the flowers that creep up to the sun though and I have mixed feelings about the foreground plants in general. I would kind of like to see them either sharper or blurrier.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12145446/HistoRed.gif

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12145446/ClipRed.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

Tried to take a shot of both, the angle on the laptop makes it dark, and I had lots of trouble with moire on my NEC. Also the angle makes it light.

But this should give the idea, the ring really shows here because of the darkness, but it is always there.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with non wide gamut problem viewing

Eyeball wrote:
It doesn't look objectionable to me just viewing the image. My comments were based more on what I saw in the PS histogram and clipping indicators (snapshots below).

The reds probably aren't clipped that much in the sRGB - that's why it doesn't look that bad on my monitor. What is likely happening on your laptop is that it is clipping even more red values, not just the ones that are topped-out in the sRGB.

I think you're using an NEC with Spectraview if I remember correctly. If you bought the pre-packaged puck with the monitor, it probably won't work, but if
...Show more

I have access to my old puck and might be able to cal with that.

I also wish I did not have the tall flowers in the shot. I was trying hard to get the sun near the 1/3 point and the horizon non centered. Could not back up more as I was against a cliff. On my monitor at full size, the near foliage is very sharp accept for some wind motion on one. I worked to eliminate these issues on scene but was losing the light faster than I expected.The sun was gone behind the marine layer well before sunset.

100% crop

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.