1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2014 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

absolutic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Jeff Kott wrote:
Try using Face Detect with AF-C and Wide Area with the Center button set to Standard. If you are using these settings and the Wide Area and Face Detect is focusing on the wrong subject, by pushing the Center button it engages spot AF-S.

Thank you I will try these settings tomorrow. Should I use pre-focus on or off?

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

absolutic wrote:
Thank you I will try these settings tomorrow. Should I use pre-focus on or off?

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious to know if this improves the AF performance for you.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:57 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Jeff Kott wrote:
Let us know how it goes. I'm curious to know if this improves the AF performance for you.

my other issue is that I have two Sony A lenses (Minolta 85 1.4G and Minolta beercan) that I use with LA-EA2 adapter. Do I use different settings with these two lenses when it comes to continuous AF? The setup in terms of AF points is all different with the adapter

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:02 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

absolutic wrote:
my other issue is that I have two Sony A lenses (Minolta 85 1.4G and Minolta beercan) that I use with LA-EA2 adapter. Do I use different settings with these two lenses when it comes to continuous AF? The setup in terms of AF points is all different with the adapter

Sorry, I don't use the camera with the adapter, perhaps someone with the adapter could answer. I've only used it with my Sony 35/1.8 and FE 55. I'd try first in good light with your 16-50 which we know uses PDAF, then switch to one of the lenses with the adapter to see if it behaves differently. You can tell when PDAF is engaged because little green boxes dance around the area the camera is focusing on.

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:06 AM
Kruschtel

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

millsart wrote:
The point of EC in M mode, at least for me, is that Sony doesn't let you select a minimum shutter speed for auto-iso. It just defaults to something close to the 1/focal length rule.

In other words, a 28mm lens may use 1`/30th, a 50mm lens 1/60th and so on. The camera will only increase the ISO far enough to keep that minimum speed. Thing is, 1/30th, for example may not be fast enough to freeze subject motion, or if your shakey like me, 1/60th at 50mm may still produce camera shake. I usually like about 1/125th, and the higher
...Show more
Thanks for the interesting info about Auto-ISO in M-mode and EC.
I now tested it and found that EC can be activated by down-click and then turning the rear wheel. Rear wheel by default is exposure, top wheel is aperture.
I can understand that its not nice that the Sony decides to assign aperture to the top wheel even if you assigned ec to it in the other modes. But then, I personally see this as a minor thing and probably more helpful for most than sticking with EC on the top, because in M-Mode you usually want to have S/A directly accessible. Unless your using a manual lens of course :-).

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

You can also set it so you don't need that down click and the rear wheel controls EC at all times.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Jman13 wrote:
You can also set it so you don't need that down click and the rear wheel controls EC at all times.

Try setting it that way in Aperture Priority and then change to Manual. At least with my A6000, that automatically changes the rear wheel from EC to ISO. That's the problem.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:48 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

If all I knew was pressing a button and then bringing up the EC, I'd probably be fine with it, and certainly plenty of cameras work this way.

Thing is for me though, is that all my most recent camera's have had dedicated EC dials, such as the Fuji X100s, XT1, and Xpro1, Sony A7(r) etc, so I've come to grow very used to having it.

I can somewhat see Sony's thought in thinking users want S/A controls directly accessible, but again for me, the beauty and power of auto-iso in M mode makes EC the most used control I'd want to adjust on the fly.

I'd honestly rather press a button and adjust A or S as needed and be able to keep EC on top, because that is my most used control variable with the way I use the camera.

Given how much customization the camera does have, its just really odd they couldn't of made that a choice.

Simple line in the menu of something like "a/s default in M mode", active or not. Then also let users pick if they want the rear control dial to be Av or SS in M mode.

A lot of cameras work like that which have limited dials. You either have aperture active and press a key to access shutter speed, or vice versa.

I think that sometimes actual photographers don't have much say in designing cameras because the choices they come up with surely had to have came from engineers or marketing people. (Not just Sony either)

Take the Fuji XT1 locking ISO dial for example. Apparently no Fuji engineer saw anything wrong with it but then tons of real photographers all complained within 30 seconds of picking it up.

Makes you think maybe if they had more real photographers during the design process one of them could of said "hey, I don't like this" and they could of made the button have the OPTION to either lock or not, thus pleasing everyone

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

In manual the rear dial is shutter speed.

Jeff Kott wrote:
Try setting it that way in Aperture Priority and then change to Manual. At least with my A6000, that automatically changes the rear wheel from EC to ISO. That's the problem.

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Jman13 wrote:
In manual the rear dial is shutter speed.

I'll try again when I get home tonight.

Jul 22, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

If anyone is interested, my review is up: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sony-a6000/

Jul 22, 2014 at 09:56 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Excellent review Jman.

Jul 23, 2014 at 05:28 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Well, this is the thread that convinced me to get an A6000 today (it will be waiting for me when I get to Bellingham in a couple of week's time). I have the Sigma 30/2.8 and the Konica 40/1.8 lenses with me, to see if I can get used to the interface (and an adapter for the Konica will be waiting, too).

I wanted to get an A7 (mainly for the Konica; that FL is my favourite, plus I have the same FL in Oly OM), but the loudness of the shutter was a real turnoff for me. I use the silent mode on one of my Panny G6 bodies 90% of the time. I know that the A6000 does not have this mode, but it is a much smaller investment, too.

In time there will be another FF mirrorless body that will be an A7 mk II, or something like it, and I will upgrade then, but in the meantime, I am looking forward to the A6000. Thanks to everyone who posted here.

Edited on Aug 31, 2014 at 01:10 AM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Well, this is the thread that convinced me to get an A6000 today (it will be waiting for me when I get to Bellingham in a couple of week's time). I have the Sigma 20/2.8 and the Konica 40/1.8 lenses with me, to see if I can get used to the interface (and an adapter for the Konica will be waiting, too).

What about the 35/1.8 OSS?

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

I just love your persistence, Jeff! I will play with these two (one representative of AF; one of MF) and see if I like the body first—then the 35/1.8! It is a perfect FL for me, I admit, and you have convinced me re. OSS and how well it performs.

I corrected the Sigma FL in the post above to 30/2,8, too. It is Sigma's best 'Art' lens, IMHO (tho' not up to Jeff's meticulous standards!). I do agree, though, that using the A6000 without a PDAF-optimised lens is a bit silly.

Aug 31, 2014 at 01:10 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

No...the 60/2.8 is better. (Seriously, the Sigma 30 is a outstanding lens...even more so given the price, but the Sigma 60 is even better. )

Aug 31, 2014 at 06:51 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Thanks Jordan; reading your review now, BTW.

Aug 31, 2014 at 09:56 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

I really didn't have high expectations for the a6000. I thought I would use it as a grab and go camera as opposed to the A7 which I would use for more "serious" photography. But, the more I use it, the more I like it. In fact, I just bought an additional lens to use with it.

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

Jman13 wrote:
No...the 60/2.8 is better. (Seriously, the Sigma 30 is a outstanding lens...even more so given the price, but the Sigma 60 is even better. )

Jordan, I'm not sure if the smiley face after your statement means you know that it doesn't make sense to compare a 60mm lens to a 35 or what.

Personally, I don't really care which APS-C normal lens others choose for their A6000 since I already have the Sony 35 and the Touit 32. But, for the benefit of those reading these posts who may be trying to decide which lens to buy, have you used the Sony 35 and compared it to your beloved Sigma 30? For some reason, I've been unable to find many head to head comparisons of these two lenses, but from what I've read in forums most people seem to think the Sony is as sharp as the Sigma when stopped down to 2.8 and at smaller apertures.

The only statement I've seen comparing these lenses from a "reviewer" as opposed to merely a forum poster is Sony Alpha Labs, which states
"The 2-for-1 Sigma 19 & 30mm f/2.8 lens deal, which is about the same quality sharpness, but a bit slower at f/2.8 and has no OSS, is a better value for the dollar if your going for straight-up optical performance alone. If you factor in the OSS, smooth transition technology for video, faster f/1.8 aperture, and better build quality, the higher price of the SLE35F18 Lens makes sense."

I think it makes more sense when you add in the benefit of PDAF on the A6000. Having used my A6000 with the Sony 35 which uses the camera's PDAF and the Touit 32 which doesn't, I don't see why anyone who has the choice of getting two comparable lenses for the A6000, one which is PDAF and one that isn't, would get the non-PDAF lens.

In any event, I would really be interested in seeing you do a head to head comparison of the Sigma 30 and Sony 35 to see if there is any reason other than price and slightly wider focal length to prefer the Sigma 30 to the Sony 35.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Hmmm, A6000 is a great camera but I don't like it at all

I would love to test the 35/1.8, and likely will at some point. I'm not making any statements to the quality of the Sony 35. I haven't used it, and from what I've seen it's a very good lens, perhaps outstanding. I was simply responding to the 'the Sigma 30 is the best Art lens' in a playful way.

When I do get my hands on a 35/1.8, I will definitely do a head to head. If the Sony were my main kit, I'd almost certainly have either the Sony 35 or the Touit 32/1.8 instead of the 30. The 30 is an incredible lens for what it is, but by no means can it replace speed if you need it.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.