Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

LizWangPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

I'm seeing Kipon (Bayaves) and other off-brand adapters on Ebay for Canon EOS to Fuji X "speedboosters." Does anyone have any experience with these? I can't find anything online. I know these adapters in general are prone to issues...

Jul 15, 2014 at 05:48 PM
LizWangPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

By the way, I'm also looking at the m42 to Fuji speedbooster. So thoughts on that would be helpful as well!

Jul 15, 2014 at 05:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

I have no personal experience with these EOS to Fuji X adapters, but I think it's worth noting that none of them (so far) have an electronic interface, and so you can't control aperture, AF or IS from the camera. Many of them have an internal diaphragm that is supposed to act as a replacement for the lens aperture, but location is important, and an diaphragm outside the lens doesn't work the same as one at the designed location inside the lens. I've seen posted examples of how these external diaphragms (internal to the adapter) work, and it's not so good.

I sometimes use Canon EF lenses on my X-E2 with a straight-up mechanical adapter, and it works fine (with the same caveat that you can't control aperture, AF or IS from the camera). More often, I use manual focus "Alt" lenses that happen to have a Canon EF mount or adapter, on my X-E2, using the simple Canon to Fuji X adapter.

The description for a "Kipon Baveyes 0.7x Optic Reducer Adapter Canon EOS EF Lens to Fujifilm Fuji X E1 " adapter (eBay item 351003804442) says,

"Full manual operation, manual focus, manual iris adjustment can be achieved..."

This implies that you can control the lens aperture of a Canon EF lens while it's attached to this adapter - but you can't.

I'm waiting for an EOS to Fuji X Smart Adapter from Metabones, just like their current EOS to Sony E mount Smart Adapter series.

Jul 16, 2014 at 06:44 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

Nice reply Jim. My thoughts exactly.

Edit _ I don't know what makes me more impatient, waiting for a Metabones Fuji X Smart Adapter, or waiting for some decent u4/3 Oly long glass.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Sean Carpenter

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

The M42 adapter (like my Pentax-to-Sony NEX adapter) will likely work fine since those lenses have aperture rings. For the Canon lenses (or Pentax ones) that don't have aperture rings, I don't think these will let you change the aperture.

Jul 16, 2014 at 02:56 PM
LizWangPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

Thanks guys, any input on image quality? Is there a degradation in IQ?

Jul 16, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Sean Carpenter

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

LizWangPhotog wrote:
Thanks guys, any input on image quality? Is there a degradation in IQ?

I did a review a while back of the Pentax-NEX adapter. IMO the quality is good, it will just exacerbate existing flaws in your lenses, most notably field curvature. I use it with my 24mm f/2 Pentax lens without any complaints; I don't use it too much with my Tamron 14mm.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/pentax-lens-turbo-for-sony-nex-cameras.html

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

I have a Minolta Lens Turbo and an FD Speed Booster. IMO the Speed Booster is worth every penny of the extra cost. The Lens Turbo is good with slower lenses, but is horrible outside of the central 20% of the frame on fast glass. The Speed Booster is quite good across the frame except for the very corners.

I reviewed both.
Speed Booster : http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-metabones-speed-booster-canon-fd-to-fuji-x/

Lens turbo : http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-zhongyi-lens-turbo-minolta-md-to-fuji-x/

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Sean Carpenter

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

Jman13 wrote:
I have a Minolta Lens Turbo and an FD Speed Booster. IMO the Speed Booster is worth every penny of the extra cost. The Lens Turbo is good with slower lenses, but is horrible outside of the central 20% of the frame on fast glass. The Speed Booster is quite good across the frame except for the very corners.

I reviewed both.
Speed Booster : http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-metabones-speed-booster-canon-fd-to-fuji-x/

Lens turbo : http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-zhongyi-lens-turbo-minolta-md-to-fuji-x/

Those reviews pretty much match mine. I wouldn't say that it is 'horrible' except when the original glass is 'horrible' - I think you were a bit more objective in your (nicely done) reviews.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

Sean Carpenter wrote:
Those reviews pretty much match mine. I wouldn't say that it is 'horrible' except when the original glass is 'horrible' - I think you were a bit more objective in your (nicely done) reviews.

Yeah, it's not THAT bad when you focus in the area of interest rather than focus recompose with the Lens Turbo, but compared to the Speed Booster it's definitely not great. I think the Speed Booster is well worth the extra cost, though.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Sean Carpenter

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

Jman13 wrote:
Yeah, it's not THAT bad when you focus in the area of interest rather than focus recompose with the Lens Turbo, but compared to the Speed Booster it's definitely not great. I think the Speed Booster is well worth the extra cost, though.

FYI, I have both the Lens Turbo and a real Speed Booster (for Nikon lenses). I don't see that much difference between the two. Granted, it's hard to compare because the lenses are different. Would be interesting to see an apples-to-apples with the exact same lenses.

Jul 17, 2014 at 02:12 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EOS to Fuji X Focal Reducers (Speedboosters) Any experience?

I too eagerly want an electronic EOS to XF mount solution.
Though, I remember Bo Ming saying here that it's not gonna happen.
I don't understand why not.

jcolwell wrote:
I'm waiting for an EOS to Fuji X Smart Adapter from Metabones, just like their current EOS to Sony E mount Smart Adapter series.

Jul 17, 2014 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.