Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Places in continental US for wildflowers in June?

Iliang

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Places in continental US for wildflowers in June?

Hello -

I'm trying to come up with ideas for trips for next year in June and I've never done much wildflower photography before. I'd appreciate suggestions for any place in the continental US where wildflowers will be in bloom the second half of June.

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2014 at 09:36 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Places in continental US for wildflowers in June?

If it was earlier in June, you could shoot Rhododendrons in the Redwoods in Northern California. Otherwise you need to wait into mid July for a lot of the mountain wildflower locations like Colorado.

Since you are interested in wildflower photography, what made you pick out the end of June? If there was something specific you saw, then you should just go there. Otherwise you should change the dates of your trip, or decide to shoot something else. The end of June isn't a good time as far as I know.

Jim

Jul 15, 2014 at 03:44 PM
Iliang

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Places in continental US for wildflowers in June?

Hi Jim -

The timing is due to family contraints: school lasts until the second week of June, then summer camp activities are scattered throughout July and August. Ideally I would go the Mt. Rainier in August if I could.

I've got no particular place or flower in mind, would just like to see carpets of color not too far away from civilization (needs to be accessible for a 6 and 9 year old).

It's ok if the wildflowers don't work out, i'll just have to come up with someother theme.

Thanks!
I-Liang

Jul 15, 2014 at 05:59 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Places in continental US for wildflowers in June?

Mt. St. Helens it blooms in mid June - will be prime by 3rd week of June.

Jul 15, 2014 at 06:07 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Places in continental US for wildflowers in June?

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/viewing/ is a great resource if you've got time to 'explore' the many locations.

In general, just about any state with reasonable Spring rainfall and topography will have flowers blooming somewhere during your time frame. (The far northern rocky mountain area might be an exception.)

Utah is a nice place to start..
http://www.utahwildflowers.com/WildflowerSeason.aspx
Click on the bar graph...

Jul 15, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Iliang

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Places in continental US for wildflowers in June?

Dustin and Greg - great tips, thanks!

Jul 16, 2014 at 08:58 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Places in continental US for wildflowers in June?

Find a good elevation map of the states you're interested in and you should be ready to chase flowers wherever they may be in bloom.

A google images search for 'statename elevation map' returns a nice high-res series from yellowmaps. Complete with major roads and cities.

Jul 16, 2014 at 08:09 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.