New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

bbvaj
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Couple of weeks ago, I got a new 500 II. I finally got some time to play with it this weekend, I realized when its shaken there is some slight rattling sound, felt as if some lens elements are slightly loose. This is in the lower part of the lens (nearer to the camera). I want to know if this is normal for this lens or if I should talk to Canon service about it?

Another question is... Does anyone use this lens with out the hood? If so what lens cap do you guys use when carrying it with out hood?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Jul 14, 2014 at 05:23 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Use the hood. The front element is no longer a protective, replaceable unit like the mk1.

I don't find it that heavy with the hood, and find it balances better actually.

As for the noise, mine has a rattle and is brand new.

Jul 14, 2014 at 06:28 PM
blitzn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Darn you..... now I had to shake my 600 II, and yup, it rattles. Sounds like it's the image stabilizer. I pulled the filter and it wasn't that, so you are not alone.....

Jul 14, 2014 at 06:39 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

blitzn wrote:
Darn you..... now I had to shake my 600 II, and yup, it rattles. Sounds like it's the image stabilizer. I pulled the filter and it wasn't that, so you are not alone.....

...I just went and shook my 600II also and it does have a sound in that area. My 300II also has a slight sound but the 200-400 is fairly silent. I would agree it is likely the IS assembly.

I would also agree that using the hood is the safest bet as the mark II lenses have expensive front elements unlike the mark I. If you do want to leave the hood behind then look into a Don Zeck cap (http://www.donzecklenscap.com/canon-ef-600mm-f4l-lens-cap/) as it fits directly onto the front of the lens and doesn't require the hood to stay in place. I use the Don Zeck on my 600II but I also use the slightly cheaper Aquatech rubber lens cap (http://aquatech.net/soft-goods/soft-caps/) on the 300II and 200-400 and it works well also and doesn't require the hood.

Jul 14, 2014 at 06:59 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

guess I don't need to shake my lenses now.....
Best way to scratch that expensive front element is to leave the hood off and go traipsing around from location to location. Even a 'protective element' is a lot of glass and will still cost you more than you want to spend for carelessness. I speak from experience.

David

Jul 14, 2014 at 07:26 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

How much did the old "protective elements" cost? $400?

Hate to think what the new lenses would cost... I would guess $700-800, easy

Jul 14, 2014 at 08:58 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

I think it was 400-500 range prior to any cps discounts
They adjusted/fixed some worn AF parts for free. Guess they felt sorry for me.

Jul 14, 2014 at 09:11 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

$400-500 is not TOO bad considering... But I hate to see what the new ones cost.

Thankfully, if anything ever did happen to my 300 I could just claim it on my camera insurance and have them foot the bill. So I suppose it is not a big deal as long as they agree to cover it!

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Invertalon wrote:
Thankfully, if anything ever did happen to my 300 I could just claim it on my camera insurance and have them foot the bill. So I suppose it is not a big deal as long as they agree to cover it!

yes, but you have to be careful how much you claim. I am not sure when an company may drop you. When you look for another company, they have access to your claim history. So I try to eat the little stuff.

400-500 is not too bad, relatively. A little more money can get a nice mid range zoom lens!

David

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM
bbvaj
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Thanks a lot for all the responses guys. Its a relief, to know the slight sound and/or movement is normal. You guys saved me a lot of time and potentially lot of money shipping the lens to a Canon service center…

Also, I will always try to use the lens with the hood on. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

dgdg wrote:
yes, but you have to be careful how much you claim. I am not sure when an company may drop you. When you look for another company, they have access to your claim history. So I try to eat the little stuff.

400-500 is not too bad, relatively. A little more money can get a nice mid range zoom lens!

David

Yes, but it is just an independent insurance (not a rider or anything). And if a front element is $700-800 or even more, they will for sure be paying for it! I have had it for many years and never claimed anything, so I am sure I would be OK But I agree, if it was something cheaper ($300 or something) I would just pay it!

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

I gave my 500ii a light shake and it made absolutely no noise. Does that mean its not normal? If I damage that from element through my own negligence I'll cry...... a lot, so I always use the hood.

Jul 15, 2014 at 01:54 PM
bbvaj
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Bones74 wrote:
I gave my 500ii a light shake and it made absolutely no noise. Does that mean its not normal? If I damage that from element through my own negligence I'll cry...... a lot, so I always use the hood.

hmmm... now thats interesting... What to do??

Can more people chime in...

Jul 15, 2014 at 03:24 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Invertalon wrote:
How much did the old "protective elements" cost? $400?

Hate to think what the new lenses would cost... I would guess $700-800, easy

Do you mean the now unprotected main element? More like $2-3K.

Jul 15, 2014 at 04:28 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Damn my 500 II rattles like a snake.... it doesn't like to be disturbed

Jul 15, 2014 at 04:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

robinlee wrote:
Damn my 500 II rattles like a snake.... it doesn't like to be disturbed

How do you like your lens sir: "Shaken, not stirred"

Jul 15, 2014 at 04:57 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Do you mean the now unprotected main element? More like $2-3K.

Holy ****. That almost seems like a design flaw.

Jul 15, 2014 at 07:47 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Couple of questions about the 500 IS II

at least that is one perspective. It's a deliberate design to lessen weight.
you could get the Mark 1 lens then. It's half the cost and you can scratch the front a few times.

David

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:56 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.