FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tioga Lake

Timmeh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tioga Lake

Thunderstorms were in the forecast for the Yosemite High Country, so I decided to head up and see what came of it. There weren't any clouds in Tuolumne Meadows in the morning so I decided to head east towards Tioga Lake and Ellery Lake. It started raining around 4:45, so I started to lose hope, but some promising clouds were hanging over Mammoth Peak and the peak nearest the lake that catches light (name?). The rain quickly moved overhead, and the clouds disappointingly moved east into the sun, and away from the lit peaks. This is a 3 shot blend for dynamic range of a 17mm shift stitch. I had some trouble with the white balance, so C&C are very welcome.

Tim

Clearing Rain

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:13 PM
fingerda
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tioga Lake

Love it!

DaveF

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tioga Lake

Hey Tim,

That is some cool light, the shot seems a bit dark though. But the thing that feels off to me is that the shot feels very unbalanced... it's all left side action here. Move the angle of view towards the left more... perhaps with you moving to the right I think would have been the ticket, at least for me.

Jim

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tioga Lake

Thanks for the input Dave and Jim! For the darkness of the shot, since I'm shooting into the sun, it didn't look right to me bringing up the foreground and mountain more than two stops, though I don't quite have my monitor calibrated for brightness very well at the moment (test prints have been coming back darker than anticipated). For the composition I struggled to compensate because of the quick moving clouds, but going any further right would have resulted in a quarter of the shot having road in it, and no rocks. I was hoping the rocks sweeping down and right would mimic the clouds sweeping up and right. I have an alternative crop with less on the right, but then it starts to feel cut off to me.

Tim

Jul 15, 2014 at 06:53 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tioga Lake

Intense sky drama. Like it a lot. I think you can have a more balanced image by opening the shadows on the right side( the mountain).
Harsha

Jul 15, 2014 at 08:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tioga Lake

I like it, and a different point of view on that lake.

Dan

Jul 15, 2014 at 08:53 PM
eric hagemann
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tioga Lake

very nice -- love the reflection

Jul 15, 2014 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.