New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The Best Camera ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Best Camera ...

... can be the one you've got with you.

I was going to retrieve my camera to shoot a quilt block layout for my wife. So, I get no more than 7-8 feet away and she's already shooting it with her I-Pad instead.

Jul 14, 2014 at 03:54 PM
GCasey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Best Camera ...

That rule works!

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:01 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Best Camera ...

So point then is to always keep a FF DSLR like a D4s, (or your own ideal definition of "the best") always strapped onto your person.

The best camera is certainly the one you have with you, so insure the camera you have with you is the "best".

Otherwise, the iPhone 5s can produce some nice images in most situations

Edited on Jul 16, 2014 at 02:19 PM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Best Camera ...

Oops!

Jul 16, 2014 at 06:48 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Best Camera ...

Buy her Google glass.

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Best Camera ...

Google contact lenses.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/novatis-google-to-work-on-smart-contact-lenses-1405417127

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:38 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Best Camera ...

Not sure I follow @ Google glass.

She managed to be at the scene of the crime, and caught the culprit in the act ... with her "inferior" camera. Her shot trumped mine, no matter the "superior" IQ I could have achieved.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Best Camera ...

While I theoretically agree with the general sentiment of the "best camera" expression, in practice I don't, in that the real result is not "best", but merely "the best you could do at the time".

In this particular case I don't agree at all. Everything is at hand, and the single-minute difference really should not be a deciding factor here, unless image quality is not a factor at all, in which case I have nothing further to say

Jul 16, 2014 at 01:54 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Best Camera ...

carstenw wrote:
While I theoretically agree with the general sentiment of the "best camera" expression, in practice I don't, in that the real result is not "best", but merely "the best you could do at the time".

In this particular case I don't agree at all. Everything is at hand, and the single-minute difference really should not be a deciding factor here, unless image quality is not a factor at all, in which case I have nothing further to say

I guess there should be a caveat that the "best" photo would represent the ideal output that a photographer with reasonable planning and anticipation (and a little luck) could hope to achieve.

If I'm hoping to get a game winning touch down catch in the corner of the end zone, the "best" photo I could hope to achieve would be one where I'm positioned in what statistically should be the corner most likely to be thrown to, with the latest industry standard equipment, in this case a D4s with 70-200.

That would probably represent the "best" I could hope to do in terms of being ready and waiting for anticipated action, having the ideal gear at the ready, and then lucking out that the play happened as I hoped.

If I broke my second body because I got knocked over when a kick returner hit me after getting knocked out of bounds in the 3rd quarter, and I only had my iPhone out, as my 400 would be too long, I could maybe time it right and get a pretty cool iPhone shot of the play. Heck, iPhone even has a bit of motor drive these days lol.

Such a shot, which could still be cool shared of FB, would represent "the best" I could of done with what I had at the time, BUT, it would not be the best shot I could realistically expect if everything went to play.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion....

Jul 16, 2014 at 02:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Best Camera ...

carstenw wrote:

"the single minute difference should not be a deciding factor here"

You seemingly are missing the entire point at the cat "caught in the act" (see ghosting blur in LLC) of trashing her (previously organized) layout.

This was a matter of a split second ... i.e. the one you've got with you made all the diff at some IQ vs. no IQ.

Just thought it was illustrative of the concept. Personally, I tend to "drag" my best gear with me ... but in this instance, the lesser gear won the day vs. the image I didn't capture.

Jul 16, 2014 at 02:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Best Camera ...

millsart wrote:
I guess there should be a caveat that the "best" photo would represent the ideal output that a photographer with reasonable planning and anticipation (and a little luck) could hope to achieve.

To the point that nobody had any "reasonable planning and anticipation" the cat would come thrashing through ...

Of course, if HCB had captured the defining moment with an underexposed or soft image ... it would be heralded as a masterpiece. Let an amateur capture an unanticipated defining moment with an I-Pad and it apparently is a worthless image.

Interesting to note that she has several hundred "likes" for the image, while I've got one ... hmmm, such is the life of a given image in today's cyberworld.
And, no I wasn't expecting to get a bunch of "likes" ... only something humorous/ironic to share at which gear made the catch, despite our incessant quest for the best.

Back to our regular pixel peeping programming ...

Jul 16, 2014 at 02:39 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Best Camera ...

I prefer the cat image, it is much more interesting I am sure that if a good pattern could be devised once, it could be devised again

Mills (do we know your name?), I guess I am restricting myself to gear-oriented "best"s, not circumstance-oriented ones, in line with "the best camera is...".

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Best Camera ...

+1 @ circumstance oriented.

This one is definitely about the cat, not the pattern ... except that the pattern was the object of the cat's impetuous reign of terror.

The only reason the cat lives today is because of the humor the image brought to one P.O.'d quilter.

Jul 16, 2014 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.