New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon TC-14E II 1.4 Tele producing OOF images

Erockduh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon TC-14E II 1.4 Tele producing OOF images

Has anyone experienced a teleconverter producing out of focus or soft images before? I have it paired with a 300mm f/4 with a D800. Without the tele, my wildlife images would be spot on, since testing for the last week, I've noticed when zooming in that the images are not crisp. I purchased this one used from a member on here a few weeks ago but rented one for an Alaska trip and my images were spot on.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

EDIT: I will upload some sample images later on today.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon TC-14E II 1.4 Tele producing OOF images

The TC14EII is notorious for requiring "fine tuning" on most lenses...suggest you look into that first. I sold my 300/4 years ago but my 500VR requires +14 with the TC14EII.

Personally I use lens align but there are other less expensive (free) fine tuning techniques as well...try googling.

Good luck!

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon TC-14E II 1.4 Tele producing OOF images

Fine tune and get back to us. The IQ is typically phenomenal. There are copy variations
with TC's but I'm sure it's tweakable within the +20 to -20 range of your D800. I used
the TC-17E II on my AF-S 300 f4/D800 with mind blowing results at about -17, IIRC. GL

I found my fine tuned results with the TC-14E II...cost: ZERO dollars

Edited on Jul 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon TC-14E II 1.4 Tele producing OOF images

Normally the TC14 is pretty outstanding. There are times I have to look at the EXIF just to tell if it was the naked lens or with the TC - it's that sharp.

Fine tune for sure and see.

Another idea is to try a few shots using live view to focus - if they are still soft, maybe there really is something going on with the TC. If they're sharp, you need to fine tune.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon TC-14E II 1.4 Tele producing OOF images

Yep, test it with a live view focus and see if the shots are sharp. That'll tell you instantly where the problem is.

On my 300mm f/4, my 1.7x required no fine tune, my 1.4x required noticeable fine tune. On my 80-400mm, my 1.4x was unusable without a fine tune (it's like +17 IIRC).

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Erockduh
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon TC-14E II 1.4 Tele producing OOF images

Thank you for all the feed back guys. I don't know how I forgot about fine tunning the focusing. I know what I'm doing after work!

I will update this thread with my results.

Also wanted to update, while looking through the viewfinder, the subjects seem spot on, just not the final product.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:51 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.