Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

macrobild wrote:
google at my name is the easiest way, you get several 1000 hits or welcome in to my FB page now when I'm about to retire after 30years.

That's awesome. Enjoy your retirement.

Aug 22, 2014 at 02:28 AM
macrobild
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

Thank you. I will still help colleagues with color management , help them with questions like what you see at the monitor - to print. There are many talented photographers who have not the slightest idea how color management is working, which also you can read here, and which are creating myths about for example skin tones and from different cameras.

Edited on Aug 22, 2014 at 02:53 AM · View previous versions

Aug 22, 2014 at 02:39 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

jcolwell wrote:
[As the ancient ones said, "what goes around, comes around".

I've been considering this... ;-)

Aug 22, 2014 at 02:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

jcolwell wrote:
[As the ancient ones said, "what goes around, comes around".

gdanmitchell wrote:
I've been considering this... ;-)

Dan,

I have no idea what you're talking about. This isn't the first time that I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's OK, 'cause I know that it's mutual

Anyway, I'm sure it's a good idea, to consider what you're considering, but I can't figure out exactly (or approximately) what it is that you're considering.

Aug 22, 2014 at 03:00 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

macrobild wrote:
morons or not, Im still waiting for a high resolution Canon camera with great DR to use with all my Canon lenses.
Heard about it? I will be the first to buy one

Same old mantra again and again. When are you going to move on to another brand that makes you happy. How many forums have you been booted out of for your incessant whining. Now your back on FM again with your latest sock puppet.

Where's Neuroanatomist when you need him.

Aug 22, 2014 at 03:03 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

jcolwell wrote:
but I'm trying to be patient.

+1 @ waiting for when they do bring to market their "breakout" sensor. Personally, I'm hoping their tiered Foveon-style sensor comes through with flying colors ... that's kinda my "stick & carrot" I've got my eye on.

Aug 22, 2014 at 04:04 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

I'm chasing the carrot.

Aug 22, 2014 at 04:20 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

jcolwell wrote:
I'm chasing the carrot.

Hope we can catch it before too much longer ... my SLR/C is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Aug 22, 2014 at 04:27 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

jcolwell wrote:
Dan,

I have no idea what you're talking about. This isn't the first time that I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's OK, 'cause I know that it's mutual

Anyway, I'm sure it's a good idea, to consider what you're considering, but I can't figure out exactly (or approximately) what it is that you're considering.

Often I have no idea what I'm talking about — and several folks here will happily back me up on that, though they seem also to not know what they are talking about when they talk about me, much less what I'm talking about when I talk about them — so for you to have no idea what I'm talking about is hard for me to understand. In fact, I'm not certain that I know what you are talking about. In any case, I'll consider your considered thoughts about considering.

Considerately yours,

Dan

Aug 22, 2014 at 04:52 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

Fyi: http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm

I bet the one with cleaner file (vs DR) will win the IQ test in all cases.

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

I lost the plan long ago, but there's no worries as I've no clue, so I'm advised by my adviser and she gives excellent advice, most of the time

Aug 23, 2014 at 04:51 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Ok, we all know the Sony 36MP sensor is the ducks guts for DR at low ISO and as ISO rises does a good job and is sort of even with the 5D III if you resample down to 5D III res, up to around ISO 6400. But Beyond that ... well you tell me. Now I see this test at imaging resource where they make 8x10 prints at the highest possible ISO that looks clean and detailed and the results are interesting to say the least. I've downloaded high ISO RAWs from the D800 and IMO they can't
...Show more

+1, this is why I don't put my wallet into the hi-iso game since 1ds2 and 5d2. What do you expect to get from a below 4 stops of grey rating.

Aug 23, 2014 at 06:13 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

mttran wrote:
this is why I don't put my wallet into the hi-iso game since 1ds2 and 5d2. What do you expect to get from a below 4 stops of grey rating.

As good as you can get. That's what I expect. When you are shooting in a dungeon for a gym/arena and you need to keep your shutter speed high to stop motion and you aren't allowed to use strobes you'll take every bit of high ISO IQ you can get. Media Relations still wants photos.

Those are the conditions I was in when I had a chance to compare a 1DX vs a D800. The output of that comparison was a lot different then what that graph shows and also why I continue to shoot a 1DX.

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:23 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

I have A7r and 1Dx, in the past over 6 months I already give up using A7r for my tripod landscape photography. Those 3rd party scientific graph / result / score shown the 36MP sensor is the best one, even better then the digital back but in actual practice my 1Dx really out perform my A7r in term of PQ, I donno how significant of the DR or shadow noise different in those graph when in actual shooting, but I can never find the different of these parameters between 1Dx and A7r. From the PP and actual output the 1Dx always have more rich and clarity of color between color, graduation, ... etc.

I'm not a canon fan boy or a scientist, just my finding from my experience about "forum" "web testing" and my "actual using". Perhaps my photography skill is not up to this level.

Aug 24, 2014 at 05:43 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

KKFung wrote:
I have A7r and 1Dx, in the past over 6 months I already give up using A7r for my tripod landscape photography. Those 3rd party scientific graph / result / score shown the 36MP sensor is the best one, even better then the digital back but in actual practice my 1Dx really out perform my A7r in term of PQ, I donno how significant of the DR or shadow noise different in those graph when in actual shooting, but I can never find the different of these parameters between 1Dx and A7r. From the PP and actual output the 1Dx
...Show more

KKFung, you might want to send your A7R in since it is still under Sony warranty. Two of mine seem to work well and in line with most review. For your comparison, here is a screen shot from IR comparometer 1DX (left) & A7R (right) at iso 100:

Beside the resolution, A7R has more clear shades of grey than 1DX so does richer A7R decom colors. You can see every bit of DR and lesser noise help the final IQ.

===================

Just for fun, below is D810 (left) & A7R(right) screen shot at iso 100 for IQ comparison:

You can use IR comparometer link to review different subject yourself: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

jcolwell wrote:
.... the constant stream of biased and repetitive drivel that seems to fill almost every thread on this forum ..

IIRC Isn't that what shills do though? A constant diatribe and yet no images from their real world images to enlighten an audience.

Aug 24, 2014 at 01:24 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

mttran wrote:
KKFung, you might want to send your A7R in since it is still under Sony warranty. Two of mine seem to work well and in line with most review. For your comparison, here is a screen shot from IR comparometer 1DX (left) & A7R (right) at iso 100:

Thanks for the advise. But I have no idea if these studio test can represent my actual usage on both camera like I always take dawn breaking or sun set under natural light natural spectrum, and then I use these test to tell the Sony customer service that my A7r should have issue and need maintenance.

By the way I tried to play with my friend's A7s, I believe the ISO is the king, except the resolution, the PQ is better than my A7r even in low iso (donno if it have the best DXO score).

Aug 24, 2014 at 02:40 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

macrobild wrote:
orange skin tones ? if you get that it, is a question of your chosen profiles, color space etc etc , don't spread myths around you, it only shows ignorance

splashing oil seems to be popular subject , also 1dx got it , as reported.
thermal sensors, well the problem with the sensor seems to be solved now with a upgrade of firmware , not mention Canon problem with leaking light and the problem solved with tape.

If you are trying to discuss with bad arguments I can answer with all the Canon flaws during the years . not particularly fruitful discussion-or what
...Show more

What do I think?

Your second sentence doesn't even make sense and is somewhat offensive. Yes Nikon's skin tones do leave a lot to be desired. I've noticed it, others have noticed it and reviewers have noticed it, and others don't believe it's there. Sure you can fix the color but with Canon it is pretty close right out of the box. No ignorance there, just an opinion on color.

My point was that Nikon is not without their problems nothing else, not an argument really, just that there is more to a camera than just the sensor.

All tools have their weaknesses and strengths, choose your poison. It is obvious you have chosen yours and I have chosen mine. It would be great if we could leave it at that but I suspect you won't.

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:55 PM
macrobild
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

ggreene wrote:
Same old mantra again and again. When are you going to move on to another brand that makes you happy. How many forums have you been booted out of for your incessant whining. Now your back on FM again with your latest sock puppet.

Where's Neuroanatomist when you need him.

moving? why, I have them all

about Neuro ? neuro is in a denial stage since long time back and maybe will wake up some time in the future, right now he is in a defense mode because of all facts hitting him hard , but he is still spreading lot of speculations and facts errors around like before , just like a real fan boy. However, it seems that people have grown tired of his ignorance . Why do you ask?

Edited on Aug 30, 2014 at 12:51 AM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:01 AM
macrobild
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · So Nikon D800 is better than 1D X at high ISO

shutterbug guy wrote:
What do I think?

Your second sentence doesn't even make sense and is somewhat offensive. Yes Nikon's skin tones do leave a lot to be desired. I've noticed it, others have noticed it and reviewers have noticed it, and others don't believe it's there. Sure you can fix the color but with Canon it is pretty close right out of the box. No ignorance there, just an opinion on color.

My point was that Nikon is not without their problems nothing else, not an argument really, just that there is more to a camera than just the sensor.

All tools
...Show more

the Nikon skin tones do leave a lot to be desired, this real is BS and shows ignorance.
Are we talking about what you are seeing on a screen/monitor and also whats kind of color reproductions suits your eyes and taste? or real CMYK values for printing of good skin tones in different papers and prints?
I can easily get the look from Nikon to look as from Canon or vice versa.
What you not can deny is the fact that Nikon CFA and color depth is much higher than the Canons, measured, among other things by DXO lab and thereby conclude that with a little knowledge there are better conditions from a Nikon than from a Canon to get the best color reproduction, especially in day light 5500K

Edited on Aug 30, 2014 at 01:05 AM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password