FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

spdnbhmrd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

I got eaten alive by mosquitoes, but it was worth it. Taken near Roaring Point where the Wicomico River dumps into the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.

Jul 13, 2014 at 07:29 PM
capnsteve19
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Yep thats how you do that! love it all here.

Jul 13, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Hi Mike,

The processing is well done, and the colors are great. The tree branch crossing the horizon in a simple composition doesn't do it for me though.

Tim

Jul 13, 2014 at 09:06 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Very nice sunset. The bay has some of the toughest mosquitoes I've experienced including Alaska, Minnesota and Michigan.

Jul 13, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Very nice capture. Beautiful colors and sand is great.
I do however agree about that 1 little piece of wood intruding into the horizon. Granted the stump and tree do lock the foreground and provide the depth, emotion and scale needed to the composition but maybe a clone job on that 1 root. Try it if you like and repost asking which one members fav.
Yeah the mosquitos remind me of WWII fighters..you can hear them coming!
Dan

Jul 14, 2014 at 08:59 AM
spdnbhmrd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Okay, thanks for the advice... I am usually a stickler too about things sticking above the horizon. Honestly I never even gave the clone tool a thought. I used a tilt shift lens in this case and could not get any further back (the tree was pushed over with the roots still stuck in the bank). I would have preferred to get the start of the tree trunk leading into the image as well, but that really was impossible. Here is a re-edited version with the sticking up piece of wood removed. Let me know if it works better. Thanks again.

~Mike

Jul 14, 2014 at 02:06 PM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Great shot! I don't own a tilt/shift lens at the moment but this certainly makes me want to get one!

Jul 14, 2014 at 02:36 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Hi Mike!
I do own a 17mm TS-E Lens. I love it but I fear it would not have eliminated the root.
Personally I would hve cloned out the entire root. I cannot speak to the positioning of the lens to allow the entire tree in the frame w/out sacrificing the horizon( not being there) BUT I have found an excellant PS tool that can and does allow for expansion of the image.
It may allow you to expand and use content aware fill to add the tree end into the frame. Thus leading the eye into the water and horizon.
Next, and I have done this, take another image with the entire tree in the frame and using a PS tool to expand the horizon and replace the lost sky.

Now do you have an image with the entire tree in the frame and a reduced horizon?
If so your problem may be solved. This would be just a 1 step with a few sub steps to expand your image.
Let me know and I can help via PM.
I have done this and have helped others here "filling in" tight crops with water, horizon, sky...
Good luck!
Dan

Edited on Jul 14, 2014 at 04:33 PM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2014 at 03:30 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

beautiful

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:19 PM
spdnbhmrd
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Actually what I was thinking about doing was just eliminating the very end of the tree and placing sand around it with a hard edged clone. I could also expand the canvas and try it that way. I'll see what I can come up with.

Jul 14, 2014 at 04:44 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

That is some very cool color, and worth getting bit by a few mosquitoes. I like the idea of the driftwood in the foreground, but for me, it's too much of a good thing. I think if either piece of driftwood was in the shot by itself it would have anchored the shot wonderfully, as it is for me at least, it's a bit too busy with too much wood and lines. Did you get a chance to shoot any single pieces of driftwood during that awesome sunset?

Jim

Jul 14, 2014 at 07:06 PM
capalia

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Chesapeake Bay Sunset

Wow, amazing color

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.