FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Travel Fees question

aonavy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel Fees question

I typically charge $1 per mile after 50 miles and this seems to work out well for B&G. Unfortunately it doesn't work out for my assistance/2nd shooters. I don't pay for there travel because I give them all the option to travel with me. My assistants, most of the time travel with me but my 2nd shooters drive on there own. I feel bad if the wedding is 2 hours a way, 4 round trip, but only pay them for 5hrs of work including travel. (hope that makes sense) I'm trying to figure out a way to charge the B&G for a portion of there time. I think $400 for travel is expensive when paying your 2nd $50/hr.

How do you guys handle this. I'm trying to picture myself in my guys shoes and kinda sucks if the wedding is far.

Thanks for you help

Jul 12, 2014 at 08:40 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel Fees question

A 4h round trip for 5h of work? After paying for gas there's not much left over, seems unfair to the second.
Even if they travel with you, they still don't get paid for the 4h travel time

To me, the second should get travel compensated. Charge the couple more for travel if you have to

Jul 12, 2014 at 04:02 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel Fees question

do you always use the same second shooters/assistants? could you find some local to the other areas you often shoot?

it's up to them if it's worth it or not to take the job, knowing the distance. if you don't think you could easily find seconds/assistants who are more local to those locations, then maybe it's worth throwing in an extra $50 or even $100 for out of town jobs.

but whatever you do, don't charge the clients for it as an itemized charge, they'll feel like you're nickel and diming them. change your charge to a flat $2/mi if you like.

Jul 12, 2014 at 09:31 PM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel Fees question

this is just this specific wedding thats 4hrs away. Do you pay them there normal hourly rate?

Jul 12, 2014 at 09:52 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel Fees question

If you're putting out a call to a bunch of photographers to see who can second shoot for you, present the job, location, and pay, and they can decide if they're interested.

if you have a regular second shooter, or just a few regulars, tell them about the wedding and location, tell them you're paying $50 more than usual, and they can ride with you if they like. they're always free to turn down the job.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:47 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel Fees question

brett maxwell wrote:
If you're putting out a call to a bunch of photographers to see who can second shoot for you, present the job, location, and pay, and they can decide if they're interested.

if you have a regular second shooter, or just a few regulars, tell them about the wedding and location, tell them you're paying $50 more than usual, and they can ride with you if they like. they're always free to turn down the job.

That, or just go to 1$/mile per shooter.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel Fees question

I 2nd shot a wedding that was about 2 hours away from me. Main photographer posted that the job was $350 for an 8 hr shoot. I chose to take it and it worked out really well. Would I have loved to get paid for my time traveling? Heck yea, but I chose to take the job as it was.

Fri I 2nd shot a wedding at a place ~ 2 hours away. $400 total for the job. I drove 45 mins away and caught a ride with the main photog the rest of the way. It just worked out that way.

Another guy I shoot with doesn't own a car. When I 2nd shoot for him in the Napa area or places North of SF I normally pick him up on my way up and I get paid a little extra to do so.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM
jmimages

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel Fees question

This is a case of having a network of photographers in a region and not just your local area. I have a second shooter I use almost exclusively. I pay him $300-$500 per wedding depending on distance and length of wedding day. HE never complains because, well, I do the same for him when I second shoot for him. If its a far wedding I look for friends in those areas and see what I can dig up.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel Fees question

Thanks for the input guys! I originally was going to pay him a lower hourly rate but he talked me up $5/hrs. In return I told him he either rides with me or he finds his own way. He agreed! I like the idea of kicking in a few extra as a flat rate to my guys. Good Idea

Jul 15, 2014 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.