New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Silly question about lighting

OO7MIKE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Silly question about lighting

I recently did a test shoot as a proof of concept for a client. The shoot went well and the client signed on but I had a problem. My kicker light running at full power the entire time. I had it running off of battery packs so the cycle rate was slower than I wanted it to be. For me this creates a problem because I need to be able to pop off shots quickly and not have to wait on my light to cycle. The real shoot is scheduled to happen in a month.

I have an idea but I haven't had time to test it.

My question to you in simplest form:

Will two identical lights at half power = 1 light at full power?

It makes sense to me but I wanted to check with others. If true this would solve my problem as the cycle rate for half power is much faster.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Silly question about lighting

Simple answer is yes or should be nearly identical..

Why not UP your ISO from 100 to 200 and that will give you another option or cut your aperture by 1 stop.

They are all the same. They all give you 1 more stop of light.

Ryan G

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:18 AM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Silly question about lighting

Thank you sir.

Conditions requires me to stay at ISO 1600 on my D3s in order to get the desired lighting look on the stone walls in the tunnel. I suppose I could use two lights at almost full power and lower my ISO.

Here is an example of what I did:

http://www.michaelbrinkerhoff.com/photos/MBP_7423_7.jpg

The light is very far back there so it requires a lot of power out of my AB1600. There is only enough light in there to achieve focus. Pretty much everything you see is lit with two flashes.

Jul 12, 2014 at 01:07 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Silly question about lighting

You might gain efficiency by changing your reflectors, with the key attributes being bigger and more parabolic. With such frontal lighting, I don't think that hardness is an issue!

Jul 12, 2014 at 01:13 AM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Silly question about lighting

Do you think using my parabolic silver umbrella would be better than the cone I am currently using for the light behind my subject?

Jul 12, 2014 at 01:48 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Silly question about lighting

I doubt it. Once the bulb is enclosed and directing all the light in a beam, the maximum efficiency has been reached. Larger for larger's sake is not the goal. I use the Narrow Beam reflector (Profoto), but the PCB equivalent is the Long Throw Reflector (11", shiny, cheap as dirt): http://www.paulcbuff.com/11ltr.php

Jul 12, 2014 at 06:26 AM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Silly question about lighting

I would say that the narrow beam reflector (is that what you are using?) is pretty efficient, however

The silver of a parabolic can add 1 - 1.5 stops..

Why do you HAVE to be at ISO 1600?

Ryan G

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:18 PM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Silly question about lighting

Thanks! I'm totally game for the long throw reflector. It looks like it might help out quite a bit.

I have to use ISo 1600 in order to see the rear light show up on the rocks near the dancer. To me it feels a bit magical and adds an extra 3d effect to the cement rocks. With the long throw reflector or two kicker lights I might just be able to use lower ISO settings. I've tried moving the light closer to the subject but then I get a large black hole effect if the subject dead center. I spent 3 hours on that shoot trying different settings. What you see above turned out the best.

I did want to point out that the softbox behind me was only at 1/8 power.

Jul 13, 2014 at 03:02 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Silly question about lighting

Move the light closer? She is obscuring the tunnel 'exit' anyway, at worst you'd have to PS out the lightstand feet.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Silly question about lighting

Cool photo

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Silly question about lighting

Mark_L wrote:
Move the light closer? She is obscuring the tunnel 'exit' anyway, at worst you'd have to PS out the lightstand feet.

I've tried moving the light closer to the subject but then I get a large black hole effect if the subject isn't dead center. Here is an example of the black hole effect. The farther away the light is the less likely chance of the black hole effect.

http://www.michaelbrinkerhoff.com/photos/MBP_7075_.jpg

This was an early lighting test shot, I later moved the light further back and had much better results for off center subject poses. I tried my best to position myself so the black hole was blocked but it didn't always work out that way.

Seems to me I need a brighter light from farther away or a bigger light that is closer.

So far the 11-inch Long Throw Reflector looks to be my best bet.

Jul 13, 2014 at 01:16 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Silly question about lighting

You realize that the black hole effect has nothing to do with where that light is but totally to do with the subject and where they are right?

In your first example the subject is dead center and there is no black hole effect. The light doesn't change that, the subject changes that.

You don't have to be at ISO1600 you just need more or less light as the settings are based on how much light there is. Does that make sense? Why can't you go up to ISO3200 and leave the flash settings the same and you will have 1 stop more of light.

Real quick and don't take this the wrong way. Do you know that if you go from 1/2 power to 1/1 power it's 1 stop of light? Same with going from ISO1600 to ISO3200.

Ryan G

Jul 13, 2014 at 05:58 PM
OO7MIKE
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Silly question about lighting

Yes I do realize these things and I do understand your reasons for clarifying

I think we might be talking about symantecs here. My subjects (20 of them) wont always block the black hole as they are responsible for their own poses and how they want to look in these shots. To me its a problem that I have to fix. I think it looks better if I fix it with light rather than with photoshop.

I'm going to purchase two Long Throw Reflectors and bring my 86" extreme silver PLM umbrella and see if I can't produce something that fixes both problems.

Jul 13, 2014 at 09:32 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Silly question about lighting

Is it possible to light THE ENTIRE black hole with a HUGE umbrella? Moving that umbrella back so it fills the entire hole?

That might be the best idea.

Ryan G

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:24 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Silly question about lighting

I'd go with the 11" or the Retro laser reflector. The Laser may be a bit better for the black hole effect. I wouldn't think a large umbrella would be a good choice for the background. http://www.paulcbuff.com/22rlr.php

Jul 15, 2014 at 01:14 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.