New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Strange problem reading CF card

bmannon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange problem reading CF card

This is kinda long so hang in there,,,,,

I have a weird problem going on with my 16gb Sandisk Extreme CF card.

I was out shooting with my 40D tonight and took about 15 images. Everything was working properly. When I got home I put the card into my Lexar card reader and the PC locked up. After rebooting the PC I am unable to read the card. The computer acts like there isn't even a card in the reader.

I put the card back into the 40D and it says 'Cannot create folder' and when I hit the review button it says 'No Image'.

So at this point I am figuring the card is toast and I will format it and see if I can get it working, but first I decide to stick it in my 20D just for kicks. This is the crazy part, when I power up the 20D I can preview the images. They are all there. Now I am somewhat relieved as I haven't lost the pics.

Sooo now I hook the 20D to the computer thinking I will be able to transfer my pics off the card. No such luck, when I go into the camera thru Windows it says there are no images. I also tried reading them thru the EOS utility program, but it also says there are no images.

Anyone have a clue how to get this pics off the card? I have also tried two different computers just to make sure it wasn't an issue with the PC. The only way I can see the pics at all is on the 20D. Not on the 40D that they were taken with or either PC.

HELP!!!!!!

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange problem reading CF card

Your Sandisk card may have come with software (on a CD) for image recovery. If not, you can download a free app from Transcend's website.

Even if the computer doesn't show the card mounted, the recovery software might see it and it should be able to recover the images.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM
bmannon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange problem reading CF card

Ron, Thanks! for the info.

I went to the Transcend web site and found a program called RecoveRx.

I downloaded it and it is running now. It says it has recovered 42 files so far. The progress bar is only at about 25%. It looks hopeful. I will keep my fingers crossed and let you know.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange problem reading CF card

rscheffler wrote:
Your Sandisk card may have come with software (on a CD) for image recovery. If not, you can download a free app from Transcend's website.

Even if the computer doesn't show the card mounted, the recovery software might see it and it should be able to recover the images.

+1

The images are on the card, the question is if the recovery software can retrieve them. If the card is actually bad, you may not be able to.

If the software doesn't work the first go round, reboot your PC, and try formatting the card. If that is successful, then try the recovery software.

How important are the images?

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM
bmannon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange problem reading CF card

Well they aren't important, but I went to some trouble to get them and was really looking forward to editing them and hopefully having a few keepers. Looks Like the recovery is at about 60%, should know the results shortly.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
bmannon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strange problem reading CF card

Great news I got the images off the card! Thanks for the recommendation of the Transcend s/w Ron!

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:24 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strange problem reading CF card

I did that with a 32 gig card corrupted by a bad computer. It retrieved files that survived several formats.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strange problem reading CF card

Try a different card reader, it worked for me. Some are more friendly with some of the faster cards.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.