New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Was that so difficult?

butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Was that so difficult?

Watch this video report:

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Lr CC 5.5

I, and others, on this (and other forums) were regularly scolded for complaining about Adobe CC lacking an equitable exit strategy.

We were told for $10 a month we should either sign up or shut up as it wasn't worth it (or it was purely unfair) to request such an option. Apparently, Adobe thought it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities.

This option (as well as the $10 deal) was not going to show up if we didn't ask for it. At least a few of us thought that if Adobe did in fact "listen" and come up with the the PhotoPackage offering the Ps and Lr combo ... they could take it a step further ... though I never dreamed it would be offered gratis.

Now, even I am going to strongly consider the possibility of adopting CC ... at least it merits further investigation.

Jul 11, 2014 at 08:34 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Was that so difficult?

Although late in coming, good job Adobe. More options is always a benefit especially when you are trying to migrate a user base. I'd like to see more bundles as well. A PS/AI combo would seem like a natural, and they have video and web programs they could pair up as well. People don't want to pay for things they don't use.

Jul 11, 2014 at 08:58 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Was that so difficult?

Does anyone know if the limited LR will continue to receive CC updates or will its version be somehow frozen at the time the customer stopped paying the subscription?

Jul 11, 2014 at 09:26 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Was that so difficult?

Eyeball wrote:
Does anyone know if the limited LR will continue to receive CC updates or will its version be somehow frozen at the time the customer stopped paying the subscription?

I don't know for sure ... but I would assume that updates would not be offered. Considering the user stopped paying, I wouldn't think Adobe would be obligated to offer any additional support whatsoever.

"the desktop application will continue to launch and provide access to the photographs managed within Lightroom as well as the Slideshow, Web, Book or Print creations that we know many photographers painstakingly create.

Jul 11, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Was that so difficult?

Well, it's sort of only halfway where you wanted them to go with it. It's not really an exit strategy that leaves you with full functionality at a certain development point but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Does anybody else wonder why, for a podcast (or whatever you want to call it) about photography and Photoshop, that the lighting on their set is so atrocious - unless they're trying to emphasize Kelby's nose. And someone should take a Sharpie to all the little nicks in the desk. Just saying...

Jul 11, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Was that so difficult?

butchM wrote:
Watch this video report:

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Lr CC 5.5

I, and others, on this (and other forums) were regularly scolded for complaining about Adobe CC lacking an equitable exit strategy.

We were told for $10 a month we should either sign up or shut up as it wasn't worth it (or it was purely unfair) to request such an option. Apparently, Adobe thought it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities.

This option (as well as the $10 deal) was not going to show up if we didn't ask for it. At least a few of us thought that if Adobe did in fact "listen" and
...Show more

Hmmm.... now if only they could do this for ALL their apps.

Jul 11, 2014 at 02:20 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Was that so difficult?

Peter Figen wrote:
Well, it's sort of only halfway where you wanted them to go with it. It's not really an exit strategy that leaves you with full functionality at a certain development point but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Given that their goal seems to be a more predictable stream of revenue through the subscription model I don't think that will ever occur. It would undermine the whole license model. You would just have people signing up for a period of time and then canceling to get the software perpetually. From their standpoint that brings them back to square one.

Jul 11, 2014 at 02:21 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Was that so difficult?

a reasonable thing I suppose. they could do te same w/ PS. Let you open an existing image/psd/tiff and you can resave it into something else or some minor re-editing but most edit tools would be blocked. At least it lets you get your images out.

Jul 11, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Was that so difficult?

I think this is excellent. It removes the biggest obstacle that I saw for the subscription model. That was the lack of access to my edits when the subscription isn't renewed. I will have to consider the subscription model in the future when LR or PS offers something that I feel I need. I'm currently satisfied with LR5.5 and PS CS6.

Jul 11, 2014 at 04:40 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Was that so difficult?

ggreene wrote:
Given that their goal seems to be a more predictable stream of revenue through the subscription model I don't think that will ever occur. It would undermine the whole license model. You would just have people signing up for a period of time and then canceling to get the software perpetually. From their standpoint that brings them back to square one.

Many lease/rental models offer the the client a "buyout" option when certain criteria are met and agreed upon. Usually accompanied by a lump sum payment. ... That is what I more or less was seeking. A transaction on equal footing. Where both parties benefit.

I don't ever expect any business to offer something for nothing ... my biggest complaint of the CC subscription was the subscriber was left empty handed if they ever decided that either Adobe was no longer offering what they promised or what was expected ... or if the subscriber suffered a catastrophic financial setback and had to forego their subscription even temporarily you were left with absolutely nothing but the fond memories of using the software ... even if you had been paying monthly payments for decades.

This move is at least something recognizing at least a partially equitable solution that doesn't leave customers high and dry. Though, this does indicate at least some willingness to address some concerns ... even though some early adopters did try to tell us it was likely very improbable or even unnecessary.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Was that so difficult?

Its agood move on adobe's part ,but would probably more significant if (god forbid) Lightroom goes CC only . Because at the moment you could quit the CC model and pick up a full copy of Lightroom 5 for not a huge sum .

I think it may have been better to have given CC quitters access to a full functioning BRIDGE as there are many PS users that don't like or want to use LIGHTROOM

Jul 12, 2014 at 09:03 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.