Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Moths of the infamous night of 7/6/14

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moths of the infamous night of 7/6/14

5D3+100L+MR14-EX

It's cool how much stuff you can find in just a very short while if you just leave back room light on and then go outside and see what is on the glass doors. All sorts of stuff! (although perhaps it matters where you live a bit)

Many of these are more ID photos than anything else, although a few are perhaps decent as something else.

An unknown species of ultra micro almost gnat-sized moth, can't yet find it in guides or MPG or BugGuide, although I may just be looking in the wrong places:

Probably a slightly odd (Microcrambus minor - Hodges #5422) but perhaps a very odd Elegant Grass-Veneer (Microcrambus elegans - Hodges #5420):

Undetermined species - perhaps a Drab Brown Wave (cool ruby eyes in flash):

Probably (Glyphidocera septentrionella - Hodges #1142):

Perhaps a (Homosetia bifasciella - Hodges #0287) or perhaps some other Homosetia?? or even, but less likely, (Stenoptinea auriferella - Hodges #0296)?:

A (Taygete attributella - Hodges #1842):

A Common Acleris (Acleris subnivana - Hodges #3517):

A Pink-masked Pyralid Moth (Aglossa disciferalis - Hodges #5512):

A Small White Grass-veneer (Crambus albellus - Hodges #5361):

A (Microcrambus minor - Hodges #5422) - This might be a first record for NJ:

A Large Maple Spanworm (Prochoerodes lineola - Hodges #6982) with a damaged left wing; cool leaf mimic:

A Lesser Maple Spanworm (Speranza pustularia - Hodges #6273):

Jul 11, 2014 at 03:26 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moths of the infamous night of 7/6/14

skibum5 wrote:
It's cool how much stuff you can find in just a very short while if you just leave back room light on and then go outside and see what is on the glass doors. All sorts of stuff! (although perhaps it matters where you live a bit).

It obviously helps to live in, or close to, diverse habitat, which can include suburban gardens. I understand that, for moths in general, warm, humid nights with little wind are best. A white sheet or board which is directly illuminated might be very productive.

Also, look around the house in daytime (plain walls and ceilings are best) for moths which have entered at night and are resting i.e. sit still!

It is instructive to see the diversity of micros in your images.

Harold

Jul 11, 2014 at 06:32 AM
gwaww
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moths of the infamous night of 7/6/14

Sometimes when one of my grand kids has a sleepover I will hang a white bed sheet on my clothesline, spray some water with honey on it, put a large work light behind it and watch and wait. One evening I had 2 Luna moths, several other large moths and uncounted smaller ones at the same time. It is always quite an experience!

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password