p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fireworks Au Naturel

Sunset off the coast of Waldport, OR on the 4th of July

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fireworks Au Naturel

Hi Therese,

It looked like a kind of cool sunset. I do have a few suggestions here for you.

1st, I would add some more saturation or vibrancy while processing these. They seem a bit flat. Did you convert the color profile of these to sRGB?

2nd, perhaps there would be more interest if there was something more going on in the foreground.

3rd, there is a cyan cast to most of these, especially the first ones. Warming the WB up on these would help also.

#3 is probably my favorite as the slight rays you have, and the better patch of color in the clouds gives that one more interest.

In #4, I think you should have had the sun with that bit of sunstar its making at the top of the frame. All of the clouds above the sun are really quite boring, and add nothing to the shot. So angling the camera down more, removing the boring clouds, and instead fill the frame with a reflection on the beach, Or you could have added an ND filter on your lens to have shot a little slower, say 1/5th to 1sec of a shutter speed and get some motion from the water in the foreground to add interest.

It's not always easy to get really cool scenes we see in person to then translate through the camera and then onto the web for others to few. Similar to the photographers of old, who added so much to their shots in the darkroom, we today have a digital darkroom we use as we process. So it's in that darkroom, that we take the raw image of what we shot and mold back into the wonderful image our eyes were seeing as we shot it.

Jim

Jul 11, 2014 at 04:03 PM
Therese Lombar

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fireworks Au Naturel

Thanks for the advice.

Jul 11, 2014 at 08:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fireworks Au Naturel

When I saw the title of this thread, I was expecting something else entirely. ;-)

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fireworks Au Naturel

gdanmitchell wrote:
When I saw the title of this thread, I was expecting something else entirely. ;-)

Hey Dan,

Boy.... not sure which of those definitions your mind was thinking, myself I was simply thinking there were fireworks that were caught in a totally natural environment (ie. Landscape)...

But not sure how helpful that comment was to the OP. How about telling her which shot you liked or what she could do to improve these if you didn't like any of the shots?? Those comments would be much more helpful.

Thanks,

Jim

Jul 12, 2014 at 01:03 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fireworks Au Naturel

JimFox wrote:
But not sure how helpful that comment was to the OP. How about telling her which shot you liked or what she could do to improve these if you didn't like any of the shots??

Now, Jim, a little sense of humor in the landscape forum is nothing new! :-)

However, since you asked and since it is a good idea, here is some response to the photographs, too.

I love seascapes and I love these straightforward shots of water, horizon, and sky — to me they evoke the sense of vast space of water and sky and a bit of the mystery that the sea holds for us landlubbers. I like your interpretation in terms of how you use color and how you go with the subtle light and colors rather than trying to turn the scenes into something that they are not. I like the softness of the light and the color palette and what I think is your attention to relationships between angles and shapes and forms and textures. (It is harder to shoot such seemingly simple scenes than might first be apparent, right?)

I think that my favorite may be the last one. The upper part of the sky in #4 pulls my attention away from the more subtle stuff going on in the lower 3/4 or so of the frame — in fact, I'd consider a crop that removes that bright stuff at the top and leaves only the darker area of sky. To me that seems to give more prominence to that dark wave and to the glow in the clouds above the horizon. I like #3, too, though I wonder if the whole thing might be lightened just a bit, perhaps with a curve adjustment that is targeted to some of the darker areas? That smooth reflecting area at the bottom of #2 is very beautiful, and it forms a sort of counterpoint to the bright clouds at the top of the frame. I may like the color palette of the first one most of all, though there is something about the shapes and positions of the clouds that works a bit less well for me.

All in all, very nice work and it presents a consistent and compelling way of seeing the shoreline and ocean.

Dan

Jul 12, 2014 at 08:05 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.