FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Small, yellow-faced fly Sicus ferrugineus

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small, yellow-faced fly Sicus ferrugineus

I have been delayed in posting this, due to the power supply of my PC failing. So I cannot be sure of the exact lighting used. (While the PC was being repaired I took the opportunity to increase the RAM by 1GB and can now process large files at an acceptable speed).

I was doing non-photographic things around my garden when I looked down and saw this small fly which somehow seemed different from the usual ones. I grabbed my camera and took a couple of quick shots before it flew away.

The fly was apparently about 5mm long but I can now see a considerable length of abdomen folded forwards underneath. I have no idea what species this is and must try to identify it sometime.

E-M1, Kiron 105mm macro, f11 1/200 ISO 640, single flash TTL on hot shoe, hand-held. Both cropped by ca 50%.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2014

© Harold Gough 2014

Edited on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2014 at 02:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small, yellow-faced fly Sicus ferrugineus

Its characteristics, not least the underslung genitalia, suggest it is in the family Micropezidae, perhaps a Calobata species female.

Harold

Jul 10, 2014 at 07:36 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small, yellow-faced fly Sicus ferrugineus

e6filmuser wrote:
Its characteristics, not least the underslung genitalia, suggest it is in the family Micropezidae, perhaps a Calobata species female.

So much for my (tentative) diagnosis:

I am advised that it is a conopid fly - Sicus ferrugineus. Parasitic on bumble bees. Recently we have noticed that there are far fewer bumble bees in our garden than we would expect in summer.

It sems that I should see this species around, as I have very suitable habitat in my garden.

Harold

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.