New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · RX1 newbie question

Enro

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX1 newbie question

Hi all. Just wanted to say there's some amazing images on the RX1 Image thread from John Mondy, Brody, Jochenb and of course Sebboh, among many, many others, that sealed the deal in me ordering an RX1.

I was wondering if someone could give me any tips on a basic setup function that I can't seem to figure out.

My RX1 arrived today -- a refurbished model from Amazon with a 1 year Sony warranty. I saved quite a bit off the new price (almost $900) and based on the warranty figured it was too good a deal to pass up. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences buying refurbished?

So my basic question is: how do you set it so that the exposure meter level indicator -- (the + or - bar that you adjust to be in the middle) is visible on the display? I like to shoot manual or aperture mode, and I can't figure out how to set it.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm driving up to San Francisco and nearby wine country next week and can't wait to use it. Thanks!

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX1 newbie question

Congrats on your new RX1!
Sorry, I do not know if there is an option to display that in the EVF. I usually modify exposure compensation after chimping after taking a shot and seeing if exposure is ok or not. The back screen displays the exposure comp as you probably know.
Enjoy wine country with your RX1!

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Enro

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RX1 newbie question

Thanks. I did mean the back screen, I didn't get the EVF.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RX1 newbie question

Sadly according to the manual the bar is only available in the EVF. I'm pretty sure though that you can get the numeric indication of the exposure level when used in manual mode, it will be instead of the exposure compensation.

Jul 10, 2014 at 07:17 AM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RX1 newbie question

SoulNibbler is correct - in S, A and P exposure modes the third number from the left at the bottom of the LCD (in all display modes) is the exposure compensation, but in M exposure mode that value is the +/- exposure differential from the metered optimal value. The exposure differential bar is available only in the EVF, and has the exact same meanings as above in the four exposure modes, but in the different format. Not clear why it inconsistent, and it does take some gettin' used to... You will also find that the Exposure Compensation dial does nothing when in Manual mode, unless also in Auto ISO mode, and then it compensates exposure by off-setting ISO.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Enro

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RX1 newbie question

Thanks. Yeah, will take a little getting used to, maybe I'll end up getting the EVF.

Of course, they'll probably announcer the RX2 with built in EVF the next day lol!

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RX1 newbie question

Enro, I bought a used EVF here on B&S for a reasonable price. I can really see better with it and thus generally take more time to get things right, and when used with the level indicator I find it improves my compositions quite a bit. So it could be worth a lot more to you than just that particular display option.

Jul 11, 2014 at 09:39 AM
Enro

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RX1 newbie question

Thanks everyone. Using it on vacation right now and really liking it. Although I may have to get the EVF for very bright outdoor shooting.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:31 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.