Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

I don't mind collecting gear--and other objects--as owning and playing with toys are all part of the fun. And I certainly have plenty of things I don't need and rarely or never use, e.g., my front yard, a tux and a three legged dog...

Jul 10, 2014 at 04:23 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

justruss wrote:
I don't hang on to things I have no intention of using. I will hang on to things I intend to use infrequently but are hard to replace. I don't hang on to things I use very infrequently that are easy to replace.

I'm a photographer, not a collector of gear.

Same here. I use to keep a lot of gear around but a few years back I sold it all off as it just made no sense to have it collecting dust in a gear bag. Far better to sell it to someone who can make use of it.

Jul 10, 2014 at 04:29 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

I do have some old Canon AE1 and A1 cameras, but primarly I started and used Yashica and Contax cameras back then - I still have some, but donīt use them.

But cameras are "only" the instruments to capture the image and store it - the lens is for me the main part.
So I do have a lot of lenses, my wife recently said I could use 3 lenses every day, for a whole year without using a lens twice. But thats is exaggerated - at least I think that.
I am not a collector, but I need some stuff for experiments - I am an imaging engineer at a camera manufacturer. And I have still a lot of fun doing crazy things with my gear.
For my current main project I bought about 50 lenses.

Most lenses I disassemble or modify without hesitation.
But I honour the quality, look and rarity of some of my lenses, so those are handeld extra carefull - without tinkering. Others that I want to sell some time in the future are "safe" too.

Jul 10, 2014 at 04:44 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

Still own and keep my fist Canon FTb camera with a bunch of FD lenses. I never sold the FD lenses because their value was just not worth selling a few years back. Now they all are back in use with my mirrorless A7R, and I am really glad that I kept my MF lens gear (which even increased in value)!

I sold my first digital DSLR, the Rebel XT and a few cropped-sensor based lenses. I rarely use focal lengths above 135 mm - I might sell my 100-400 at some point. Certainly holding on to my wide and ultra-wide, fast, and TSE plus macro lenses.

Jul 10, 2014 at 07:14 AM
gatorine
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

Let's see. I still have my first 35mm Canon (EOS 3), my first point and shoot (G2) and my first digital video camera (Optura Pi). I just sent my 1D Mk IV to CPS for a clean and check and shutter count. That's too much money to leave sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I want to sell it to someone who will put it to much more use than I ever did.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM
racoll
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

ggreene wrote:
Same here. I use to keep a lot of gear around but a few years back I sold it all off as it just made no sense to have it collecting dust in a gear bag. Far better to sell it to someone who can make use of it.

I happen to be both, a photographer and a collector of gear, and I thoroughly enjoy both. I tend to buy, sell, and sometimes buy again depending on what the camera is. I sold my 10D a long time ago, back when the 20D came out, but I bought another one recently just because the 10D held so many really great memories for me. I held onto my 1vHS for a long time too, but sold it last Fall; now I'd like to replace that camera as well. I have a number of classic cameras anyway. I find them to be very intriguing tools and enjoy trying to get the best out of them, no matter how old. But there are a number of older cameras that I hold onto for purely sentimental reasons. Along with the aforementioned 10D and 1vHS are a Nikon FE that my father gave to me, as well as the Pentax ME Super that was my very first SLR. I also have an Olympus InfinityZoom 230 point and shoot camera from around 1991 or 92 (that I got right after realizing what a horrible camera my Kodak Disc camera was at the time!) that, along with the ME Super, was one of the cameras that helped me to take photography seriously. I should probably let these go sometime but I still use them occasionally just for fun.

Andy

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM
cmyb

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

I still have my Canon AE-1 and A1 that I purchase brand new. Then an Elan7e when I switched to EOS and still have my 20d when I switched to digital.
I also have an Canon T90, EOS RT, Olympus XAII with flash, Hasselblad 500cm, various EOS bodies and Kodak Brownie in my collection.

Jul 12, 2014 at 01:01 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

Just a photographer here. If something is not being used...out it goes. With that said, I do buy older used equipment...but I use this older equipment to make photographs...not to sit on shelves.

Jul 12, 2014 at 04:12 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

I'll probably keep my 50mm f/2.5 macro, I don't use it much, but it is a great little lens.

Jul 12, 2014 at 04:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

The oldest Canon gear I have is a 1Ds camera (purchased this year) and an EF 200/1.8L lens. Soon after getting a 20D in 2004, I sold off my Pentax and Contax 35mm cameras (LX, MZ, RTS II, 139Q). I continued using larger format film cameras for a couple of years, until getting a 5D, and then I sold my Fujifilm MF rangefinders (GW670II, GDW690II), and a Shen Hao 4x5 (with mostly Fuji LF lenses). I still have a couple of "museum pieces"; Zeiss Ikon Ikonta (521), Daci Royal, Universal Meteor, Olympus 35 SP, Rollei 35 SE, and Topcon uni (most in working condition).

Jul 12, 2014 at 05:39 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

FTb and several lenses. Kept them because they are not worth much. Everything works like new. Just started using the FD lenses on a Fuji X Pro. Never shoot film anymore.

Had a 40D which I liked a lot. Sold it to a friend when I upgraded to a 6D.

They just keep getting better....

Jul 12, 2014 at 08:52 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

I didn't mean to belittle gear collectors, by the way. That's a pursuit of its own. Just not my thing...

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:38 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

I have an Olympus OM-3 and OM-2SP, and some lenses, sitting in a cupboard. I got rid of most of the OM lenses, including all the rare "cult" ones, within the last year after the spike in value/demand due to their popularity on mirrorless. The OM-3 is in working order and remains unsold after it proved to be a magnet for fraudulent buyers (three cheers to eBay for detecting the one who won and cancelling the sale before I shipped - and a big boo to all the pests who messaged me with ridiculous lowball offers - do you suppose I don't know how to search for completed auctions?).

The OM-2SP needs servicing and is really just sitting there in case values move and it becomes worth fixing. I regard this as the best 35mm SLR ever made, and my favourite of all I've owned, so I suppose there's some nostalgia/stubbornness involved. It's not as if I'll ever be using it again, since it lacks diopter adjustment.

Some of the OM kit got thrown out. There was an OM-4 that was far beyond economic repair, and various flash accessories that were stinky from a previous owner who smoked. I am quite unsentimental and believe that as long as a few copies of some piece exist in museums somewhere I have no responsibility to save my copy.

The Varimagni Finder is part of my Canon 5D kit, and the cable release part of my Sony RX-1 kit. The T-20 was going to be part of my Sony kit but it, too, smells funny, so isn't allowed to play with the "nice" gear area any more.

I do think we're living through the best era in camera design and there's very little reason to keep bodies made before ~2005, unless you want to shoot film. Lenses of course are different.

Jul 13, 2014 at 01:39 AM
voltaire
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

I still have my Canon F-1, T90, and an A2 but haven't shot film in a long time. With DSLRs, I started with a 20D but have sold and upgraded through the years. I currently have the 1DX, 5D III and 100D. I see the gear more now as tools although I do take very good care of my gear.

Haven't upgraded superteles, it just got too expensive for me.

Jul 13, 2014 at 02:03 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

Although I almost exclusively use Nikon professionally (still have a Hasselblad 500CM + several lenses that I use, be it very seldomly) I'm still holding on the my Canon TX with 1.8/50mm FD and especially 1.8/85mm FL

The latter lens was a very expensive and quite exclusive item in it's day ( late sixties early seventies) where I lived, and when my brother sold his FT/QL with 50, 85 and 135mm lenses I bought it from him considering the relative low (but for a young boy who was still in high school still very steep) price.

Gave the FT/QL and 50 and 135mm to a girlfriend, but held on to the 85mm FL lens, even if it didn't allow fully open aperture TTL light metering, a feature that only came with the FD mount. Later got a TX so I could use the 85mm again, even if against today's standards the IQ might be inferior to eg a 1.4/85mm Nikkor or whatever Canon has in that range.

Haven't used it in ages especially since I have fully embraced digital, but not willing to sell it or give away, in anticipation of that one great picture I'm going to shoot with it one day ....

Jul 13, 2014 at 04:18 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

As others have noted, "I'm a photographer, not a collector." There is of course nothing wrong with being a collector - I just don't have the time nor interest in amassing a pile of any particular thing. I am an unreconstructed tool user.

I've had to build my gear by "trading up" for newer used equipment. I sold off my 20D long ago to get my first very used 1DIIn. Pre L lenses were sold to upgrade to L replacements. Nearly all my lenses were purchased used and several are quite old. I do upgrade bodies when they become affordable, but have only replaced 3 L lenses over the last 12 years. I traded a 17-40mm f/4.0L for a 24-70mm f/2.8L +$. The 24-70 was a far more useful FL and it is still in constant use. The other was a battered pre-IS 70-200mm f/2.8L known among some FMers as the "ugly duck." You'd swear some guy had tried to open beer bottles with the front flange. It was crisp, but the demands of my sports reporting finally drove me to sell and buy up to the new 70-200m f/2.8L IS ver. II. It's a better lens and I don't regret the move at all. Oh, I had the 180mm f/3.5L macro for a while, but it never seemed to work for me. I ended up with the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro. Very happy with it.

So what do I keep? L lenses. They don't seem to wear out, they hold value, and most important they really do help me get the job done.

Robert

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Dono T

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

I shoot all my professional gigs with Canon. I am fairly invested into their systems, so unless there is something ground-breaking from someone else, I anticipate sticking with Canon for life.

The piece of equipment that I will hold onto for life is my Pentax k1000.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What gear do Canon DSLR users hang on to?

Oh my. In the basement is a Canon 35mm SLR that I have had for 40 years.....when it comes to digital, I have a very old digital camera made by Polaroid that used their ultrasonic sensor to determine focal distance.

When it comes to Canon DSLR I have my Canon D30, the first DSLR that Canon produced. I had sold it to a friend and when he bought a new camera I bought it back. Why? Nostalgia?

Then I bought a 1D when it came out, also have 1DII, 20D, 7D, 5DII and 1Dx.

Only cameras I had of the bunch that I sold was the 40D and 1DsIII. The 1DsIII convinced me to get the 1Dx.

Why do I keep all those cameras? Good question.

I don't sell my lenses either but I did give my daughter my 17-35 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8 and my 70-200 f2.8. She has a 5D she bought used.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.