Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1.4x TC for Sigma 400mm f/5.6??

Stilltime
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1.4x TC for Sigma 400mm f/5.6??

I picked up a Sigma 400mm f/5.6D Tele Macro a few months ago based on the reviews here on the forum and elsewhere. On it's own, the lens is amazing - but have found a couple times where a little more reach would be nice.

I ordered a used (KEH EX+) Kenko 1.4x TC Pro 300 DG and when mounted to the lens and my D600, there is a slight loose wobble somewhere. I think it is the TC to D600 mount.

I would like a 1.4x TC that retains AF, as the Kenko one does, but I don't think that slop can be good...

Will the slop hurt anything? I have read other accounts online of the same situation. What other teleconverters will work on a Sigma 400/5.6 to Nikon body and retain AF?

Thanks in advance!

Chris C.

Jul 09, 2014 at 02:24 PM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1.4x TC for Sigma 400mm f/5.6??

Nobody shoots the 400/5.6 with a TC? This is a stellar lens!!

Chris C.

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:19 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1.4x TC for Sigma 400mm f/5.6??

All the TC's I've ever used had some kind of movement or slop as you say in them. Mostly between the lens and the TC is where I've seen it. As long is it works with no problems then you should be fine. I believe only the Kenko TC's have AF on the older screw drive AF lenses. This if your lens is a screw drive or HSM drive?

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1.4x TC for Sigma 400mm f/5.6??

My copy is the non-HSM screw drive. As long as it's not an issue I'll leave it as is. I didn't notice anything odd in the images. Thanks for the reassurance, saved me $150+ picking up a DGX version to try out!!

Chris C.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.