Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Any photography teachers/professors?

JesseShotland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any photography teachers/professors?

Hey all,

I'm currently a freelance photographer in NYC doing weddings, mitzvahs, etc., but I've always been intrigued by the idea of being a photography professor. Does anyone know what kind of education you need for that? Any other helpful info or tips?

I'm 21 and the thought of having a stable career is starting to really appeal to me. I used to tutor photography at the highschool I went to and I loved it.

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any photography teachers/professors?

The usual academic route in my part of the world is degree - master's - doctorate. One can teach in many institutions with a master's (and a master's may be a prerequisite for a teaching licence in some tertiary institutes).

Remember that as you teach you must conduct ongoing research - which keeps you engaged and alive. In photography that can be long form documentary projects supported by written work - all peer reviewed/vetted.

If you can find a school whose vibe you like, fostering a working relationship (as a technician or similar) with them can really pay off.

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:49 PM
jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any photography teachers/professors?

I worked in the camera business for most of my life. I decided I wanted to teach, went back to school at age 58 and got my MFA. If you want to teach on the college level you will need
this degree or you won't be considered. If you want to teach in k-12 you will need a BA+
additional credits in education. An MFA would also be advantageous.There is an organization called The Society for Photographic Education. If you are interested in the profession it would be worthwhile to join. Now for the bad news! Don't do it unless you have an independant source of income! In todays world there are very few full time faculty positions. Most slots are filled by temporary adjunct faculty who are paid very little and have no benefits. If still want to proceed, you need to exhibit and publish extensively. It wouldn't hurt to have some articles published in well known art journals. It would also be useful if you could teach multiple subjects like sculpture, painting, ceramics, lithography or graphic arts.
It can be a very rewarding way to live your life, if you are willing to makes substanial sacrifices. Hope this helps.

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.