New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Used 7D

1nitro901
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Used 7D

My local camera shop has a used 7D with battery & charger for $649 and is said to be in good condition. They also have a deal if you buy a used camera or lens you can take it to another local very reputable camera repair shop and have it inspected for free and if there is a problem the the camera shop will refund your money.

I was holding out for maybe a 7D ii or 1DIV but this price for a 7D is very tempting.

I'd be upgrading from a Rebel T2i and I mainly shoot birds and wildlife but would shoot landscapes etc as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jul 09, 2014 at 12:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Used 7D

Sounds like a good deal. The price is in line with recent eBay sales. The opportunity for you to handle it in person, and to get it checked out by an independent shop is a bonus.

Jul 09, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Used 7D

first off its a great camera . know its limits and you will be very happy with it .

now as to the price , I have no idea if its a good deal . But as per a couple of posts on here it would seem you can pick up a new one from BH & Adorama for $999 (i think that was the price)

so is a $350 saving enough ? only you can say . But you would get a FULL YEARS warranty with the new one

now against a 7D2 . I would think if we ever do see one (i still have my doubts) it could make that 650 bucks seem quite small change . I wouldnt be too surprised to see it just of $2k .

Jul 09, 2014 at 12:23 PM
1nitro901
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Used 7D

I didn't realize the new prices had dropped, that is really tempting and I saw B&H is giving 2% Rewards plus a spare battery and a San Disk CF card. That really cuts the difference between a new for $1k and a used for $650.

I think my biggest fear (maybe real maybe not) with going to a 7D is that if I buy one, learn it and have no doubts that i will love it over my Rebel but in the end still wishing I had something with a bit cleaner files like the 1DIV etc. Although, realistically and being honest with myself, my better half wouldn't go for me spending close to 3k for the 1DIV.

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:56 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Used 7D

The files you are going to see are going to be identical to the t2i that you already have. No difference. If you're happy with the files from your t2i, you'll be equally happy with the files from your 7D. The difference is that there will be way more of them potentially (8fps is fast) and there will be more of them in focus (the 7D is great for AF).

Jul 09, 2014 at 02:02 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Used 7D

Plus, the 7D can handle bumps and splashes from beer and unmentionable liquids without flinching. However, if you want cleaner files from a cropper, spring for a 70D. It's the same price as a new 7D but has better noise control, besting the 7D by about a stop of useful high ISO. Plus the noise it has is more grain-like and less prone to patterned artifacts (so NR plugins work are more effective).

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:07 PM
mjphoto2013

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Used 7D

Sounds like C. E. and H's in SA. In years past have gone that same route with nothing but good experiences with either shop. No relationship to either I might add...

Jul 09, 2014 at 06:12 PM
Nitro901

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Used 7D

yes sir!

Jul 09, 2014 at 06:20 PM
1nitro901
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Used 7D

Well for grins I ran by the store to look at the used 7d and to be honest it looked immaculate. I asked them about the new 7d's selling for $999 and they sell them for the same price as B&H...until they are all gone.

Then we got on the subject of the 7d mkii and he "said" they would be out in September and eluded that he expected they would sell for $1700-$1800 range. I would think an authorized dealer would have some clue as to if and when it does come out but who knows.

Nonetheless, I convinced myself to hold off for another few months to see what transpires, then make a decision on a purchase.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Used 7D

That's a good deal right now, but they're only going to get cheaper in a couple of months when the the 7D2 comes out.....

Your choice whether to buy it now or wait......

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Used 7D

An alternative suggestion:

Buy the local deal (get a shutter count BTW) and start shooting now.

The 7D II is at least three months out --- maybe more: use the time to master the 7D and enjoy the vastly improved performance. The transition from the T2i will be more than you might expect.

Even if the new 7D comes out in Sept/Oct with specs you want, availability may be weeks or months later and it might be Christmas (or longer) before prices come off 'full retail."

If the 7D fits your needs you are all set, but if you decide to upgrade prices of the '7D classic" will be high enough to keep you from losing a ton of money in the upgrade. (or maybe even trade in at the camera store.)

just sayin'

Good Luck

Charles

Jul 10, 2014 at 01:25 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Used 7D

If she ain't going along with a MKIV a 7dII isn't very likely, either. I would never wait for vaporware but that's just me.

Jul 10, 2014 at 07:00 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Used 7D

I've had one of my 7D bodies, along with an EF-S 17-85 lens on local Craigs list for $650, & not one response.

When the 7D ii arrives, you may very well get an even better deal.

Leigh,
www.leighwax.com

Jul 10, 2014 at 08:01 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Used 7D

Sy Sez wrote:
I've had one of my 7D bodies, along with an EF-S 17-85 lens on local Craigs list for $650, & not one response.

When the 7D ii arrives, you may very well get an even better deal.

Leigh,
www.leighwax.com

Maybe you should list it here and see what happens.

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:19 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Used 7D

To the OP, since you already have a body, I would hold out and see what, if anything, materializes. Keep in mind though, when the 7D2 comes out (if it does), you're camera becomes market value, which could be lower than what you paid and you take a loss selling it to get newer.

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:25 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Used 7D

Get the 7D and use it for the summer and resell it for not much less than you paid. Selling your T2i should get you $250-300 so you are only talking a few hundred dollars.

Jul 11, 2014 at 04:48 AM
1nitro901
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Used 7D

Great points from everyone on both sides...Thanks! I had made up my mind to hold off for the summer but as campy mentioned I could basically get into a 7d for $400 or less now and get some great improvements, then in the future upgrade to something and maybe just keep the 7d as a second body depending on the future purchase.

Since I am also in the market to purchase a 70-200 2.8 IS II before next summer I'd hate to dump a ton of cash on a body now and put off a 70-200 purchase.

Thanks again for the input!

Jul 11, 2014 at 07:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.