Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #2

Something new for me... wondering what people think

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #2

My first question is "What's the message?" that you are trying to convey to your viewer.

Aside from that, the geometric relationship of symmetry has an appeal, but I'm not quite sure what to read of the hue variance (obviously intentional), which has kind of a vintage color vibe to me. It holds my interest as a bit of a brain tease @ why you did it, but it doesn't deliver much of a message for me atm.

As color decor for mood I could see it in certain applications (although the hues choices seem a bit conflicting) where you don't really expect anyone to derive a message from the image itself, beyond that I'm at a bit of a

Maybe a bit of backstory could help.

Edited on Jul 09, 2014 at 08:34 AM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:45 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #2

RustyBug wrote:
My first question is "What's the message?" that you are trying to convey to your viewer.

Aside from that, the geometric relationship of symmetry has an appeal, but I'm not quite sure what to read of the hue variance (obviously intentional), which has kind of a vintage color vibe to me. It holds my interest as a bit of a brain tease @ why you did it, but it doesn't deliver much of a message for me atm.

As color decor for mood I could see it in certain applications where you don't really expect anyone to derive a message from the
...Show more

I agree with Kent. Other than wondering why you took it I find little of interest. Sorry, I do not get it. Jim

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:56 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #2

Here are some random thoughts:

1.) You've purposely made a diptych putting 2 framed photos up against one another, leading us into considering the relationship between the two.

2.) For me, the clouds seem to flow from the left photo into the right photo, but the roadways and the distant hills are on different levels.which seems awkward positioning to me, making the two photos more independent as opposed to one cohesive message. Unless that was your intention...

3.) In the left photo the truck on the roadway grabs my attention and gives me a sense of scale even though I would prefer that it was traveling in the other direction and not taking us out of the photo. Even though there are telephone poles on the roadway in the right image, they don't hold my interest.

4.) I assume that a major part of your message has to do with color which I do find engaging. Might be reading into things too deeply, but was there a reason that you put "blue" on the left and "purple" on the right?

Have to agree with Rusty though about refining your message.

Jul 09, 2014 at 08:46 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #2

+1 what the others said about "interesting, but not quite getting it"

The first thing that bothered me was that the roadways do not align horizontally.
Looking at it closer, even if the roadways were aligned, the line of the mountain on the left would not line up with the hills on the right. Wondering why something is missing? I would expect continuity...

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:55 PM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #2

Thank you for your comments.
This was meant to be a study in proportions, and different shapes of colors and shades. More of an abstract image than a normal photograph -- although I was intrigued by the scale provided by the truck overwhelmed by the blue sky.

I see that the horizons not aligning can be source of distraction. So perhaps this presentation might be better...

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:29 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #2

I agree with the feedback you had above.
The new presentation eliminates the broken lines of beach, mountains, cloud.
The two images do not relate strongly to me, except by crop (which I like), general subject, and a bit of tonal interplay found in the magentas in a lighter area in the sky on the upper image, left side. I think a variation in color processing/temp, time of day of the same scene might be stronger. Or two images with a bit more tonal interaction.
I think the two image presentation is worth continuing to play with.
Scott

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:23 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #2

As a diptych, the vertical orientation of the two photos doesn't work for me. Both of your photos read horizontally, following the roadway left to right and right to left. My eye is not guided "naturally" up and down, therefore it seems a forced relationship. Even with the compositional points discussed above, it works better side by side.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM
tommycrow

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #2

I like the horizontal layout better; maybe with the beach / horizons lined up.

Jul 10, 2014 at 02:02 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.