Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

TJ Thorne
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

~Let It Shine~

I don't have many chances to get out to nature currently. "Life gets in the way of living" kind of stuff. When my friend Tula invited me on a hike on one of the busiest trails in Oregon on the Fourth of July... I felt no hesitation about tagging along.

I think my favorite image from the day is this one right here. I was hanging out in a cave when I noticed the backlit ferns. Not thinking anything of it.. I just started shooting. I was lucky enough to catch the sun peeking through the space between the top of the cave and the opposing ridge line. Water dripping down the outside cliff face adds another pleasing element to the scene.

Yeah.. there was a line at the payment box in the parking lot. Yeah.. there was barely any parking. Yup... there was a highway of people walking up the trail and cooling off in the waters. Yes.. I shot Punchbowl Falls. But sometimes when you have those chances to get out and immerse yourself in natural beauty you just need to suck it up and let that opportunity shine.

Jul 08, 2014 at 07:33 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

What a cool shot! That is one amazing take away, and one you wouldn't have gotten had you the attitude that you didn't want to shoot icons or shoot with crowds. Most often when I am in crowded locations, the beauty of the place allows me not to focus on the people but on the place.

Jim

Jul 08, 2014 at 07:39 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Way to be in tune with what was really happening, TJ.

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:01 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Very nice! Great work.

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:07 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Great eye TJ. Lovely shot.
Harsha

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:17 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

This is getting creative and seeing what most don't! Love it!

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:50 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Very well seen and well executed.

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:04 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Nicely seen & executed!

Dan

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:43 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

i like, very cool

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:13 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Well seen!

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:52 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Even in Disneygorge you seem to find the harmony of nature. Great image and great vision.

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:22 AM
ho kwak

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Very nice. What a shot !

Jul 09, 2014 at 08:12 AM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Thanks everyone! Sorry I haven't responded to the comments. I'm working two jobs now and don't have a lot of time.

I appreciate your response!

Jul 09, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Awesome Photo TJ. Love the lighting here and like Scott said, something completely different than the norm!

Jul 09, 2014 at 05:47 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

TJ,

I like this photo and you've brought a different look from your usual shots. I love those love streaks of water drops.

Jason

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Thanks again everyone!

roguecoolman wrote:
I like this photo and you've brought a different look from your usual shots. I love those love streaks of water drops.

Can you elaborate on this? Is it more my processing or the vision in the photo? I just want to keep tabs on my pro/regression. :-)

Jul 15, 2014 at 09:57 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

TJ,

It's more of the Vision. It's a very small scale landscape shot but very focused on an idea. It's not your usual grand vista shot (which are great as well). I enjoy both types of Vision

Jason

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:26 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Backlit Fern, weeping wall, and sunstar in the Columbia Gorge

Thanks for replying. That's what I thought you meant but wanted to make sure. I am trying to think differently nowadays and get outside of my comfort zone with images I decide to process.

Thanks Jason!

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:35 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.