FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2014 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

melcat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

I'd rather see more "favourite" landscapes than read an arid techical argument that neither side is making properly. The OP merely said "many" people think the camera is the best, and that it is a good landscape camera. I don't think either statement could seriously be disputed, and neither implies it is the best.

Jul 23, 2014 at 02:56 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

melcat wrote:
I'd rather see more "favourite" landscapes .... .

+1

So, here are a few views from God's country

Y Meini Hirion, Penmaenmawr, Conwy

St Michael's , Cefnllys, Radnorshire

Tryfan, Snowdonia National Park

Llyn Llydaw, Snowdonia National Park

Jul 23, 2014 at 03:03 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Jon Tainton wrote:
+1

So, here are a few views from God's country

Great shots Jon!

Jul 25, 2014 at 02:24 PM
JesseShotland
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Anther shot from Coney Island -

Jul 26, 2014 at 06:31 PM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Jon - Nice series, I like the softness of the shot titled "Tryfan, Snowdonia National Park" Very nice!

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Hungle

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Jeffrey wrote:
Well, I've been shooting landscapes with that body for over 7 years so where to start? I'm sure there will be over a million images shown in this thread if anyone participates.

I suggest you change your request to just your ONE best landscape per member or this will become a dumpster.

Here's one from my first year of ownership, with the 500mm f4L IS and a 1.4x, in Tanzania.

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/zebragroup2a.jpg

Wow, I like this one a lot, it looks so impressive! Good job!

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Leslie168
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

I just wonder how it work if using 1DS3 for wedding jobs? any idea? thanks

Jul 28, 2014 at 05:05 AM
JesseShotland
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Leslie168 wrote:
I just wonder how it work if using 1DS3 for wedding jobs? any idea? thanks

I've used mine on a few events. It looks great, but is big and clunky. If you don't have the arms, I'd bring a 5/6D.

Jul 28, 2014 at 09:44 AM
Leslie168
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

JesseShotland wrote:
I've used mine on a few events. It looks great, but is big and clunky. If you don't have the arms, I'd bring a 5/6D.

thanks for reply.
Now I mainly bring 1ds2+1d2n for the wedding jobs but this year I think I need change to bring 5D3...etc smaller cameras.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Thanks, kaycephoto and Zeph

Some images from Scotland

Loch Clair, Glen Torridon

The causeway between Fionn Loch and Dubh Loch, Letterewe Forest

Black Cuillin and the Small Isles

Meall an Triubhais Dhuibh, Flowerdale Forest

Loch Beinn A' Mheadhoin, Glen Affric

Jul 28, 2014 at 03:59 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Another from the 1DsIII.

Jul 28, 2014 at 04:26 PM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Before Sun Up...
I think what I like the most about the 1Ds3 is its build quality. Mine has been used extensively in the rain, snow and dust, it's been knocked and dropped and it's still flawless, well worth the money...
I think it's biggest short coming even when it came out, was its low-light noise, even six years ago there was a huge move toward low light photography...

Painted Hills, Oregon

Jul 28, 2014 at 07:57 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

some really, really great shots from Jon, Jeffrey & Zeph - definitely hope to get to that level someday!

JesseShotland wrote:

It might be my sports/media upbringing, but I personally love the responsiveness of 1-series cameras for weddings.. dual cards + quick AF + minimal shutter lag are all key points that help me "do my best" - the weight is annoying but I put up with it / got used to it.

a few wedding examples, the former was 1Ds3+1D3, the latter was 1Ds3+1D4:
http://kevinchung.ca/connie-matt-toronto-wedding-photography/
http://kevinchung.ca/susanne-roger-vancouver-wedding-photography/

Jul 28, 2014 at 08:46 PM
Leslie168
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

kaycephoto wrote:
some really, really great shots from Jon, Jeffrey & Zeph - definitely hope to get to that level someday!

It might be my sports/media upbringing, but I personally love the responsiveness of 1-series cameras for weddings.. dual cards + quick AF + minimal shutter lag are all key points that help me "do my best" - the weight is annoying but I put up with it / got used to it.

a few wedding examples, the former was 1Ds3+1D3, the latter was 1Ds3+1D4:
http://kevinchung.ca/connie-matt-toronto-wedding-photography/
http://kevinchung.ca/susanne-roger-vancouver-wedding-photography/

thanks for share.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM
macrobild
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Interesting to read all comments here about colors, color reproduction and Canon.
1dsmk3 has a different color filter than the later Canon where the CFA is thinner.
The old 1dsmk3 has In other words, better conditions to reproduce colors than the current Canon cameras in day light, the modern Canon has better conditions to reproduce colors in low light due been more sensitive in lights with lower color temperature ,around 2800K and up where the need of a a tight color filter is lower due the wavelength of light. It is in other words a choice Canon has made​​, improve high iso performance by providing cameras with a more permeable CFA. If we are looking at 1dsmk3 , the camera is very good at mid tones and higher color temperatures as 5500K and to reproduce smooth even color tones .
So yes, the 1dsmk3 and also the old 5d MK1 has a different color reproduction in daylight than the newer Canon digital SLR.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Leslie168
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

macrobild wrote:
Interesting to read all comments here about colors, color reproduction and Canon.
1dsmk3 has a different color filter than the later Canon where the CFA is thinner.
The old 1dsmk3 has In other words, better conditions to reproduce colors than the current Canon cameras in day light, the modern Canon has better conditions to reproduce colors in low light due been more sensitive in lights with lower color temperature ,around 2800K and up where the need of a a tight color filter is lower due the wavelength of light. It is in other words a choice Canon has made​​, improve high iso
...Show more

sorry, can I ask how about 1ds2 compare with 1ds3? thanks.

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:02 AM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

To compare the two I would suggest This Site.
The low light noise difference is very noticeable, but the programmable AF menu is awesome, controlling the focus depending on the motion and it's direction, a nice bit of tech. For weddings/portraiture, shutter speeds might be a help, you could always be ready to blast a dozen shots in no time, but might not be worth the camera's extra expense.
Personally I avoid having a camera at weddings at all costs, I would prefer driving a school bus full screaming children or for that matter, a tanker truck with twenty tons of fuel on board.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:15 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

Leslie168 wrote:
sorry, can I ask how about 1ds2 compare with 1ds3? thanks.

Different controls (very different), different DR distribution (but overall it has pretty similar DR). A lot different colors (1DsMK2 shared CFA with 5Dc, 1DsMK3 shares it with 5DMK2 - it doesnt mean its identical, it means producing similar colors). Noise is bit meh in MK2. Its 12bit camera, not 14bit like MK3. No LiveView. Uses NiMH.

But its not a bad camera. Just MK3 was really different level, especially colorwise and ability to survive heavy post-processing (1DMK3 is even slightly better, but 10 mpix usually isnt enough for most, plus its APS-H).

Changes in technology are usually pretty overblown. There are some landmarks, like LiveView, video. And very recently (right now), having truly improved higher ISO without loosing much of other image qualities (D4s, D810, A7s .. on Canon front nothing so far, but they are pretty surely working on something).

But till now, nothing really happened, except getting higher ISO at cost of color/resolution degradation. Or getting much higher resolution at cost of pretty much everything. Yea and DR is finally starting to really be interesting (not just on paper).

Now Im just curious what will Canon show..

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:28 PM
JesseShotland
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · The 1Ds Mk III landscape thread

One on the tip of Cape Cod.

That moss just naturally grew in a straight line like that, I guess!

Aug 18, 2014 at 08:07 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.