Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · #613 "classic selfie"

DianeinCR
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #613 "classic selfie"

I really struggled with this theme. I wasn't sure what the difference between a selfie and a self portrait actually is, so I had to look it up.

Oxford Dictionary - A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website:

Urban Dictionary - A picture taken of yourself that is planned to be uploaded to Facebook, Myspace or any other sort of social networking website. You can usually see the person's arm holding out the camera in which case you can clearly tell that this person does not have any friends to take pictures of them so they resort to Myspace to find internet friends and post pictures of themselves, taken by themselves. A selfie is usually accompanied by a kissy face or the individual looking in a direction that is not towards the camera.

Wikipedia - A selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a hand-held digital camera or camera phone. Selfies are often shared on social networking services such as Instagram, Snapchat, and Tumblr. They are often casual, and are typically taken either with a camera held at arm's length or in a mirror.

OK, so that lead me to examine the faces that grace my friends social media pages. The greatest majority of these pics are grainy, poorly lit and composed, and largely unflattering. It's obvious that they are in front of a mirror and/or are often shot from overhead by point and shoots or their phones.

I grabbed my point and shoot and here's what I got! Hope you like it, and my best to all who brave this challenging assignment! : D

Canon Power Shot 5mm f 3.1 ISO 400

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #613 "classic selfie"

I love it!

Jul 08, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #613 "classic selfie"

Bravely done Dianne and thanks for the definitions. Your entry certainly meets those dictionary meanings. However, they might also have included timed pics taken by oneself with the camera on a tripod, which is what I did.

Jul 08, 2014 at 07:22 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #613 "classic selfie"

Thanks Joseph and Bill.

Yup, timers and tripods are other ways to get the job done.

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:12 PM
Scot S.

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #613 "classic selfie"

Great job and thanks for the info. I hope nobody does a "kissy face" one... or do I?

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:32 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #613 "classic selfie"

Ah, the duck lips!! Nope, I just couldn't make myself do it.

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:37 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #613 "classic selfie"

Great angle on the 'selfie'.
Looking good!
Greg

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:54 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #613 "classic selfie"

Thanks Greg.

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #613 "classic selfie"

DianeinCR wrote:
Ah, the duck lips!! Nope, I just couldn't make myself do it.

Judging from all the "selfies" I see floating around ... I didn't know it was even possible to take a "selfie" without duck lips. I just thought it was one of those face recognition "gesture" controls that triggered the shutter release.

Nicely captured spirit, even without the duck lips ... although, I'm still wondering how you got the camera to take the picture without them.

Jul 12, 2014 at 09:10 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #613 "classic selfie"

Rusty, you use the "gesture" control to activate the trigger, but also apply a delayed timer... works beautifully!

Jul 17, 2014 at 09:10 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.