Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

markp99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

I had just noticed a tiny purposed hole in the LCD monitor cover for my D610, thinking, "It would probably be a good idea to tether this thing somehow." Later that SAME day, I returned home only to find the cover was MISSING!

D'oh! A replacement is on the way.

I had the camera slung over my shoulder for the day with just my 35mm prime attached - vs my sling bag. I do recall bumping the camera body lightly on an iron railing while walking on a busy sidewalk in Boston - that might have been the event that dislodged the cover (?)

Anyway, have any of you attempted to tether the cover to your camera? A thick length of thread seems like it would to the trick, but then I wonder if that loop would just get hung-up on everything else? I've never lost the cover before on any of my prior Nikons - maybe I should just be more careful?

Any suggestions?

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:51 AM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

I actually hate that plastic LCD protector!

I find there is too much reflection coming off it to view the screen the way it should be.
Other camera manufacturers do not use it.

What I have done is to cut a clear iphone screen protector down in size to fit the screen.
It is virtually transparent and I can replace it yearly if it does get scratched for very cheap.

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:03 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

DavidM5 wrote:
I actually hate that plastic LCD protector!

I find there is too much reflection coming off it to view the screen the way it should be.
Other camera manufacturers do not use it.

What I have done is to cut a clear iphone screen protector down in size to fit the screen.
It is virtually transparent and I can replace it yearly if it does get scratched for very cheap.

It's not meant for VIEWING...rather for protecting during TRANSPORT.
It's even stated as such in the manual.

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:06 PM
markp99

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

My "viewing" of the LCD monitor is very limited. I can make no real assessment of the focus or exposure on that tiny thing, other than gross errors.

I leave the cover ON all the time. Thinking of full time protection (for resale purposes), and not dealing with the thing during the course of the day.

Lens cap is another story; I don't tether those

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

In all my years of shooting digital, thousands and thousands of frames from the D70 to the D800, I have never scratched the display. I have never even heard anybody complain about scratching the LCD.

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:59 PM
markp99

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

runamuck,

Good to know. Guess I am just paranoid

Jul 08, 2014 at 01:00 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

The D7100 doesn't have one and I took the one off my D800 the day it arrived. The gorilla glass on the rear LCD is almost indestructible.....

Jul 08, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

Why don't you just install one of those glass screen protectors available on EBay for a few dollars?

They're 1/2mm thin, coated and can be easily removed if needed. I've been using these glass protectors for close to 10 years, usually as soon as I get a different body.

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:39 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

You will find that if you start doing a significant amount of live view focusing, then you will want it off to have a clear sharp image back there.

And, if you use a RRS L-Bracket then it locks the LCD cover on and you need to remove or significantly loosen the L-bracket to remove the cover, then tighten back up.

I was hesitant to travel without mine for a long time, and with a long line of cameras, but now it's in the camera box. When my camera is in my Lowepro pack I just stuff a soft cotton handkerchief in between the LCD and the inner pack. Probably not even necessary, but helps my paranoia. Same for my D7100

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:41 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

I use RRS D700 L-bracket on my D610 and it has problem with the LCD cover..but anyway, I don't use that cover and I put a glass screen protector on the LCD and IMO it works better than the LCD cover.
The gorilla glass on the rear LCD is almost indestructible.....
I broke a Samsung Note2, which has gorilla glass, earlier this year so I'm not so confident on that kind of glass now.

Edited on Jul 09, 2014 at 03:36 AM · View previous versions

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LCD Monitor Cover - Tether?

I use Zagg shields on my D7100 and D600. expensive, non-obtrusive, and they work great!

Jul 09, 2014 at 12:50 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.