Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032306-REG/sandisk_sdcfsp_060g_a46_60gb_extreme_pro_cfast.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032305-REG/sandisk_sdcfsp_120g_a46_120gb_extreme_pro_cfast.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Interesting. the usual incredibly ridiculous new kid on the block pricing too.

a company called Atmos revives the dead and brings out "affordable" CFast 1.0 cards for their recorder. which by todays CF standards are "not so CFast"

http://www.photographybay.com/2014/07/07/atomos-releases-affordable-cfast-cards-for-ninja-star-prores-recorder/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=0&InitialSearch=yes&Ntt=ATCF*&sts=ma

i wonder what the XQD 2.0 spec cards will come out of the gate at?

Jul 07, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

are there any Cfast compliant cameras out there ?

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:02 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

Have we not gotten to the point with STILL cameras where a faster card speed announcement is just another "Yawn" event.

Jul 09, 2014 at 06:37 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
are there any Cfast compliant cameras out there ?

+1
No...so this doesn't relate to digital photography in any way other than "I wish...". I expressed this before when Nikon went to XQD for their other card slot and there weren't ANY of them on the market yet. CFast has been out for quite some time.

Jul 09, 2014 at 06:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

there are more then subtle differences between CFast1 and CFast2.
as far as the CFst2/XQD debate one or both of these will be the next gen whether we like it or not. the next years will NOT be about the STILL image it will be about high resolution motion capture. for the still image world it will be first a capacity trickle down with overall higher reliability. then the opportunity to tune still cameras to a another level. there are CFast 2.0 products in the pipeline. as far as XQD it is updating too to its 2.0 rendition.

CFast should have been in CF based cameras years ago. FUD took care of that though.

opinion: CFast 2 is wringing out the what ever they can from SATA which is showing its age. XQD 1/2 chose a better bus to work on PCIe. but then we are still using PATA/UDMA so either would be a much better option at the moment.

in either instance both are substantial mechanical and electrical improvements over their predecessors. could/would lead to elimination of issues in still cameras today like buffering limits and lower power consumption and other things.

yup, a yawn it is until the things actually change. but some changes require a little disruption in the flow.

and at least lately we haven't heard of the bent pin syndrome on that wonderful CF parallel i/o array

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

RoyC wrote:
Have we not gotten to the point with STILL cameras where a faster card speed announcement is just another "Yawn" event.

---------------------------------------------

irish-george wrote:
+1
No...so this doesn't relate to digital photography in any way other than "I wish...". I expressed this before when Nikon went to XQD for their other card slot and there weren't ANY of them on the market yet. CFast has been out for quite some time.

actually it does for the reasons stated above. still cameras are no longer just still cameras now

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:44 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

sjms wrote:
and at least lately we haven't heard of the bent pin syndrome on that wonderful CF parallel i/o array

That's over my head - what connectors do these new cards use?

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

modified SATA as it is SATA based rather then the old PATA parallel interface. this is not new. been around for more then a few years

CFast v1

Receiver module (typical base design) various configs that are more compact available

Edited on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM
farski
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

RoyC wrote:

Outside of fairly esoteric cameras, who is releasing new still camera models?

Jul 10, 2014 at 02:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CFast 2.0 cards starting to show up.

again, at the moment, that's irrelevant. the laws of inevitability will have their way and day(paradigm shift). this is also an opportunity for SD to make a play with UHS 2 (and even there you need to change a few things)

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.