Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mt. Denali On a Recent Nice Afternoon

© DocsPics 2014

Jul 07, 2014 at 10:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mt. Denali On a Recent Nice Afternoon

A nice view here of Mt. McKinley. I like the clouds, the overall look of the B&W. But it does seem to be a bit oversharpened. Though, the one thing that bothers me most here with this is the blotchy dark sky areas that are scattered throughout the sky. There is no uniformity to the clear sky behind the clouds. Did you use HDR to process this?

Jim

Jul 07, 2014 at 11:26 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mt. Denali On a Recent Nice Afternoon

Sure Did. Looks great on metallic paper though. Here is the "Plain Jane" version.

Thanks for your comments Jim.

Jul 07, 2014 at 11:37 PM
armyjoe

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mt. Denali On a Recent Nice Afternoon

I like the color version better. Shows better separation of the environment I think.

Jul 10, 2014 at 09:04 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mt. Denali On a Recent Nice Afternoon

The shot technique and composition are good but the post processing detracts a bit from the overall scene which is majestic. I would balance the exposure differently. I am sure there is plenty of data in the raw file to make a superb file and print.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mt. Denali On a Recent Nice Afternoon

That's a great view of Denali. I would skip the HDR processing though, it's doing some strange things with the clouds and makes the midtones a bit muddy. That scene is well within the range of what your camera can do. If you are looking to give it the more classic B&W look, I would consider using the B&W conversion in photoshop/lightroom to darken the blues similar to if you had used a red filter with B&W film.

I really like the color version because it has so much more depth. I do see a hard grad line across the middle of the frame on that one though -- it's especially apparent along the tree line, and as you look at the tall tree on the right side of the frame. I could also see darkening the foreground, and adding a hair of contrast. It feels a bit flat at the moment.

Jul 10, 2014 at 03:26 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mt. Denali On a Recent Nice Afternoon

I agree with Ben's advice. When I approach a bw conversion I often mimic using a red filter with bw film.

Jul 10, 2014 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.