Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Colorado in September

RobCD
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colorado in September

Visiting Colorado in September for the first time. I'll be flying in to Denver and since I only have about 3 1/2 days I'm looking for suggestions for landscape spots not too far away from Denver (maybe 4 hours or less drive time). Moderate hiking is no problem but I'm also open to scenic drives or locations that aren't far from the car.

And speaking of the car (rental car that is).. would you recommend an SUV with more clearance and possibly AWD/4WD? I realize that it will depend on the location, conditions, etc but I'm just looking for general advice as to whether you would recommend it even if I don't plan to visit any locations that are considered off road.

Thanks,
Rob

Jul 07, 2014 at 11:46 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Colorado in September

Hey Rob,

When in Sept are you going? Since it's your first time there, probably a car will be just fine. majority of the roads will be paved or gravel.

2 suggestions....

Maroon Bells

Ridgway area (Mt Sneffels, Dallas Divide, etc)

Both places are probably about 4 hours from Denver.

Jim

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:08 AM
RobCD
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Colorado in September

JimFox wrote:
Hey Rob,

When in Sept are you going? Since it's your first time there, probably a car will be just fine. majority of the roads will be paved or gravel.

2 suggestions....

Maroon Bells

Ridgway area (Mt Sneffels, Dallas Divide, etc)

Both places are probably about 4 hours from Denver.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like it will be around September 20th give or take a few days. I've done some research on Maroon Bells and I plan to try to get there early in the week. I'll have to check out the Ridgway area though.

Thanks,
Rob

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Darren K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Colorado in September

Ridgway is a 5.5-hour drive via both I-70 and 285 (and an additional 8-15 minutes by way of Carbondale and Delta off of 70). Certainly an easy and likely a must-see destination for a three-day trip, but not if you're day-tripping from Denver, or are set on the four-hour limit; Aspen is right at four hours.

That being said, you would be kicking yourself later for going that early (around the 20th) unless you are stuck with those dates. Otherwise, aim for around October 1st if at all possible, assuming you're planning this trip for fall colors. If you're stuck around the ~20th-23rd, then the Twin Lakes area and the forest roads off of the South Mt. Elbert Trailhead out of Leadville and the Cottonwood Lake area out of Buena Vista will be in good color, as these are amongst the earliest areas in the state to turn and are great options.

If you're able to swing the later dates, then the Aspen area (Maroon Creek and Castle Creek roads) would have to make the list as well as McClure Pass (3.5 hour drive via Glenwood Springs). Just a little bit on the south side of McClure Pass is CR 265 that leads up Grand Mesa, where there are aspen forests a plenty starting about eight miles up.

Another great four-hour option is in the Flat Tops out of Yampa, which is three hours from Denver. Head up the scenic byway to Dunckley Pass (four hrs) area for some great aspen forests. This is a quieter and more relaxed area than the areas south of I-70, which have more tourists during that time of year.

Those would be my top suggestions for the driving criteria. If possible, though, definitely plan to drive to the Ridgway and Telluride areas as well if you aren't stuck in Denver.

A passenger car will be perfectly suitable for all roads listed here except further sections at the base of Mt. Elbert. If your criteria is subject to change, additional input can be given.

Jul 08, 2014 at 06:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobCD
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Colorado in September

Darren K wrote:
Ridgway is a 5.5-hour drive via both I-70 and 285 (and an additional 8-15 minutes by way of Carbondale and Delta off of 70). Certainly an easy and likely a must-see destination for a three-day trip, but not if you're day-tripping from Denver, or are set on the four-hour limit; Aspen is right at four hours.

That being said, you would be kicking yourself later for going that early (around the 20th) unless you are stuck with those dates. Otherwise, aim for around October 1st if at all possible, assuming you're planning this trip for fall colors. If you're stuck
...Show more

Darren - Thanks for your detailed post and yes unfortunately I'm not able to adjust the schedule for later in Sept or early Oct. But I'm happy to have an opportunity just to visit and I'm going to consider this a scouting trip . If I do find some good fall color then that will be icing on the cake. So right now I'm thinking about Leadville/Twin Lakes, Aspen, Ridgway/Dallas Divide, Telluride.

Thanks again,
Rob

Jul 09, 2014 at 05:04 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Colorado in September

The obvious place is Rocky Mountain National Park, about 90 minutes from downtown Denver. Trail Ridge Road goes up over 12000 feet and offers spectacular mountain scenery. You should see some elk, maybe a moose on the east side, and maybe mountain sheep on the west side. If you're a hiker there are many short trails that lead to very nice lakes. You can drive to Bear Lake and Sprague Lake. The 20th may be just a tiny bit early, but you'll undoubtedly see some color. The downside is crowds -- for hiking get up and get to the trailhead early. For Trail Ridge Road any time is fine but you won't be the only car on the road.

The places you mention are much farther from Denver than RMNP and if memory serves, Telluride is at least 7 hours? to the southwest corner of the state. If you get down that way, though, you should ride the Durango and Silverton train. Close to Denver, though, in the world of trains (steam, of course!) is the Georgetown Loop Railroad which I think is running (check to make sure). In any case the drive up I-70 to the pass and beyond is nice.

Hope this helps,
Keith

Jul 10, 2014 at 01:46 AM
RobCD
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Colorado in September

beanpkk wrote:
The obvious place is Rocky Mountain National Park, about 90 minutes from downtown Denver. Trail Ridge Road goes up over 12000 feet and offers spectacular mountain scenery. You should see some elk, maybe a moose on the east side, and maybe mountain sheep on the west side. If you're a hiker there are many short trails that lead to very nice lakes. You can drive to Bear Lake and Sprague Lake. The 20th may be just a tiny bit early, but you'll undoubtedly see some color. The downside is crowds -- for hiking get up and get to the trailhead
...Show more

Thank you Keith. I do have RMNP on my list and thought about spending some time there when I get back to Denver on my way out. Telluride looks like it is about 6 to 6 1/2 hours which is workable but I may end up getting only as far as the Ridgway/Dallas Divide area which looks to be just over 5 hours.

Thanks again for your help!
Rob

Jul 10, 2014 at 04:13 PM
jalamiller

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Colorado in September

Hi All, I'm bumming now, I booked a flight for Sept. 20, after reading that should be good time for fall color in CO. Will I see decent color? We are having a very cool summer, so it may be earlier this year. I was looking at going to the Crested Butte area, but may need to modify that.

Thanks Darren for great info!

Jul 16, 2014 at 08:35 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password