Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

CAlbertson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

Apple is abandoning Aperture. I might go with a $10/month CC subscription except for one detail I cannot find on Adobe's web site:

How much space do you get on Adobe's "cloud"?

Could I fit an entire 10,000 still image library there? What about video? I'm currently paying $5/month for an on-line backup service so $10 for a backup AND the software is not bad. But only if all my files will fit. The $5 backup service (back blaze) is unlimited. They will store whatever I can upload.

If I missed this, just give me a link to where Adobe explains this.

Jul 07, 2014 at 03:52 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

Zero, zilch, nada, and none. (To be more accurate, I think even a free membership may include something paltry like 1GB right now, but it's certainly not enough to hold anything of note.)

The old limited-time Photoshop Photography Program included 20GB and a Behance ProSite.

The new permanent Photoshop Photography Plan is just Photoshop and Lightroom. If you want the cloud space or Behance, you now need to jump up to either a single-application plan or the suite.

Some people have apparently begged their way onto the old plan, but I wouldn't base your buying decision on chasing that unicorn.

Aperture will be supported for at least another year and fully supported in Mac OS X Yosemite. If you're not in a hurry, you can just keep on keeping on and deal with it as clearer upgrade paths appear. For all anybody knows at this stage, Photos could include 90% of Aperture's features.

Jul 07, 2014 at 04:34 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

colinm wrote:
For all anybody knows at this stage, Photos could include 90% of Aperture's features.

It could even include them *all* plus more.... we just don't know. I've waited this long, I can wait a few months more.

Jul 07, 2014 at 05:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

from the press release ( i found on DPR) when the 'new' PS & LR $10/month was announced

-----"The new plan does come with a catch though - cloud storage is only 2GB, compared to 20GB for anyone signed up to the complete plan (it's currently unclear if existing $49.99 customers will see their storage 'downgraded' if they switch plans)."-------

so now you only get 2gig . obviously they will charge you for more should want it . I just cant seem to find how much they charge .

that is quite a downer really . I wouldnt suggest using Adobe Cloud as a storage for your entire image library . online Backup (im not a fan of that either) will still be the better repository if you have RAW and work in progress PSD files to store .
the 2gig limit is too small if you want to use their LR to LR mobile (on the ipad) in any meaningfull way . even 20gig isnt really enough if you want to have access to more than a few synced folders . for example I shot 2000 images (actually just over) in a 1 day shoot last week (not something I would do all that often but its an example) . now just that days shoot alone as smart previews (which is what the LR mobile app is using) for me to work on on my surface pro while I was away this weekend was over 2gig (about 2.3gig i think)
My LR cat has a litttle over 80k of images . which I think is about 80gig or so in smart previews . even taking out all my rejects (which i disscard the smarts for) im still around 60gig

For the CC / LR / LRmobile thing to be of any use to alot of users Adobe really need to increase the storage allowance to a usable size . even if they said the extra storage space was for work in progress (PSD files) and smart previews as there are plenty of places that will let you store loads of jpegs/tiffs for little or no cost .
or they could just let you use other services as your storage and not have to worry about providing all that extra storage space themselves

Jul 07, 2014 at 06:30 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

Well, so much for the cloud in Creative Cloud.You download and install the application on your computer just like you did with cs6, the application still uses the resources on your computer like cpu and memory just like cs6 does, you still get major updates at X - month intervals just like cs6. Where is the cloud in all this, I wonder.

Jul 07, 2014 at 06:41 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

I agree with colin and Dave ... go ahead and do your research so you know what is out there ... but I'm going to wait and see exactly what it is that Apple is actually going to offer come 2015 before I make a decision. Aperture still works the same as it did before the announcement. It's not like it's a subscription that's going to expire at the end of the month.

It could be well worth the wait. If not, the other options will still be there. No sense in spending money, time and effort until there is a reason to do so. Bide your time, study and save up. Then you can make a more informed decision.

Best of all ... if the Photos app and Apples plan for maximizing third party support does pan out ... all your Aperture edits can be moved over ... that can't be done with any other option. Plus Apple is going to offer what seems to be reasonable pricing for iCloud image storage if you need more than the allotted free space.

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:43 AM
CAlbertson
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

butchM wrote:
I agree with colin and Dave ... go ahead and do your research so you know what is out there ... but I'm going to wait and see exactly what it is that Apple is actually going to offer come 2015 before I make a decision. Aperture still works the same as it did before the announcement. It's not like it's a subscription that's going to expire at the end of the month.

It could be well worth the wait. If not, the other options will still be there. No sense in spending money, time and effort until there is a
...Show more

That's what I'm doing, researching options. Moving the library is not easy at this time unless I want to "flatten" all the images to TIFF or loose any edits. I think Adobe might offer a tool to move the non-destrucive edits but it does not exist today.

The Apple Photos app might be good enough but I suspect it is aimed at people who use cell phone cameras. and will be a dumbed down version of iPhoto.

Jul 08, 2014 at 01:18 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

CAlbertson wrote:

The Apple Photos app might be good enough but I suspect it is aimed at people who use cell phone cameras. and will be a dumbed down version of iPhoto.

I really dislike the term "dumbed down" ... especially when not even Apple management or the engineers working on the app currently knows exactly what they will be able to include or have ready when the app is launched for OS X ...

With what little info we know for sure, the new Photos app is going to have much more in the manner of image adjustments than iPhoto has ever had. While it may not be all or on par with Aperture, or what we had expected from a new version of Aperture ... it won't be all that much less either ... I think it will be far from "dumb" ...at least it has been mentioned and observed by what was shared at WWDC, to include at least some lens correction capabilities and substantially improved noise reduction.

I really do think we need to wait and actually see and use the app before we label it "dumbed down" ... if that is indeed what it turns out to be ... I will willingly join the chorus ... until then, I'm going to reserve judgement.

Jul 08, 2014 at 01:38 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

OK re the storage used by LR mobile .

It seems I may have been a bit hard on Adobe . reading various posts on a few forums and looking at adobe's blur and videos on LR mobile it seemed as if Mobile used your Cloud allowance .
But I just gave it a go anyway and it looks like you can sync your collections and still have all you allotted cloud space left .

Im tempted by the Photog's CC deal and maybe LR mobile will push me towards that move . But currently i have 2 paid copies of LR5 (got 1 free with my 5D3) and use CS so little its hard to justify the purchase of the upgrade .

but I'll give mobile a go over the next 30days to see if its close to being what I want .

Jul 08, 2014 at 01:43 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

I have images that are certainly more than 2GB each. Obviously it depends on the file size.

EBH

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:11 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

Wasn't one of the huge down falls in the start of CC it's licensing terms?
I remember http://diglloyd.com/ and others disliking the terms.
Something about, Adobe has the right to use your cloud images in their ads, etc.?
No, I am not try to start anything, just wanting confirmation that this never came about, or is still there?

Jul 10, 2014 at 03:46 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

Cloud Storage would be a lot more enticing to me if the upload speeds from cable providers were a lot faster then they are. They really throttle uploads.

If I'm an iPhone user with a few images then Cloud Storage sounds great but if you have a larger multi year photo archive it's pretty much a no go. Which brings us back to Apple focusing on the new Photos app as tightly tied to the Cloud. This wreaks of a consumer focus with little regard to pro level needs.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How much space do you get with Adobe CC?

ggreene wrote:
Cloud Storage would be a lot more enticing to me if the upload speeds from cable providers were a lot faster then they are. They really throttle uploads.

If I'm an iPhone user with a few images then Cloud Storage sounds great but if you have a larger multi year photo archive it's pretty much a no go. Which brings us back to Apple focusing on the new Photos app as tightly tied to the Cloud. This wreaks of a consumer focus with little regard to pro level needs.

I think that does depend on your ISP and probably where you live .
Here in the uk , yes typicaly uploads tend to be much slower than downloads . I have bt infinity which gives me about 38meg down but only 8meg up

But I've heard other countries that get the same (or close) up speeds as they do down .

That aside I have to say having played with LR mobile for a few days now it's not the thing that will make me turn to the CC model considering I already have LR5 paid for twice and only use cs6 a little bit .

The LR mobile thing has too many limitations that need to be ironed out .

1: its uploads of the smart previews is VERY slow

2: the iPad app while good for what it is needs some work .

3: it only works with the iPad app . I run LR on 2 machines and work with smart previews a lot on my 2nd machine .
It would be great (in fact it could be the thing that would convert me to the CC way ) if I could 'mobile' the collections I want (even better if it did folders or smart collections but hey ) and then take my lrcat over to my 2nd machine and still have access to all the smart previews via the cloud .
For me this would be more like 'true' cloud computing . But it doesn't see any of thos smart previews

I did work out though that the LR collections DONT impact on any of you allotted cloud space

Jul 11, 2014 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.