New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              25       26       end

Archive 2014 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

ggreene wrote:
If I wasn't shooting a lot of sports and equestrian I might agree but even in DX mode 7FPS is still a little too low and you give up pixel density as well. Hoping the 7D2 is 24MP and 10FPS. I want a 1DX companion.

Yeah, but compared to my 1D X, 36MP is double the pixel density, so I'd have to use a 1.4x TC on the same lens to get the same pixels per duck if FL limited. The 7D pixel density is 2.56x the 1D X and so the D810 is not that far behind for reach, has massively better IQ and DR, and allows a full 36MP when not FL limited. 7fps in DX crop mode is only 1fps behind 7D and IMO 7fps is fine for most purposes. I rarely use my 1D X in 12fps and have mapped the low speed mode to 7fps anyway.

Now if only Nikon made a 400 f/5.6 VR. If the Tamron 150-600 works well on Nikon, it'd make a very good wildlife combo IMO and you have the best landscape camera currently on the market.

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:25 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

I think the 7D has equal or greater buffer depth for JPEGS with the version 2 firmware. The Raw frame rate is better with the 1D MKIII with 30 frame buffer compared to the 7D's 25 frame Raw buffer. The 7D beats the 1D MkIIn with 25 Raw frames vs. 22 Raw frames.

I agree that the "old" 45 point AF is superior to the 7D 19 point AF under most,if not all conditions.

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:32 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

jcolwell wrote:
I think that 8 fps is pretty good for most action shooting, but the most important performance metric is how long the camera can sustain this frame rate, before the "write buffer" is full (and how fast does it empty). My 1DX and 1DIV both offer faster fps (12 fps and 10 fps), plus they can sustain that for a long time (forever, if you shoot in bursts, and have fast and capacious cards). The 1DII (8.5 fps) and 1DIII (10 fps) that I previously owned also had relatively "deep" buffers - way deeper than the 40D and 7D cameras
...Show more

I shoot mixed martial arts with 6fps 5D3s right now. I still have a 1DIV but I am slowly transitioning away from my 1DIV bodies (only one left) and I am going to eventually get 1DXs.

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:39 PM
adamx12m
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

The 7D's 8fps is pretty speedy already; compared to my 40D, if Canon bumped it up to ten it would be quite sweet. I wonder if they will though that's getting close to the 1DX's FPS. Also, the DIGIC6 CPU has been used on a point-n-shoot, but nothing else I'm aware of, maybe we'll see it in this still phantom body, you might need it and more trying to push 24MP at 10FPS...

I wouldn't expect to see the next 7D going beyond 8.5fps. 1D4 10fps is great until you try 1DX 12fps, just like moving from a 40D to 7D, you notice it. I hope the next 1DX gets up to 14fps.

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

RobertLynn wrote:
I shoot mixed martial arts with 6fps 5D3s right now. I still have a 1DIV but I am slowly transitioning away from my 1DIV bodies (only one left) and I am going to eventually get 1DXs.

IMO, the 1DX is way more gooder. I'll probably sell my 1DIV later this year, to help "sponsor" a second 1DX, if I get back into field sports.

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:45 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

adamx12m wrote:
I wouldn't expect to see the next 7D going beyond 8.5fps. 1D4 10fps is great until you try 1DX 12fps, just like moving from a 40D to 7D, you notice it. I hope the next 1DX gets up to 14fps.

Expected camera to be choked @ high frame rate because of AF/metering sensor blindness from fast mirror reflection. Better wait for mirror less cam to by pass this loop hole

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

mttran wrote:
Expected camera to be choked @ high frame rate because of AF/metering sensor blindness from fast mirror reflection. Better wait for mirror less cam to by pass this loop hole

Yeah. Right.

My 1DX is fine at 12 fps. With best-in-class (i.e. the world) auto-focus that actually works at 12 fps.

Too bad it's not mirrorless. That way it could have lower fps and AF that sucks, too (says a devoted Fujifilm X-camera shooter).

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:02 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

jcolwell wrote:
Yeah. Right.

My 1DX is fine at 12 fps. With best-in-class (i.e. the world) auto-focus that actually works at 12 fps.

Too bad it's not mirrorless. That way it could have lower fps and AF that sucks, too (says a devoted Fujifilm X-camera shooter).

Jim, sure canon can build more delicate mirror to support the extra frame but it will be one expensive cam than last one. Currently, does our 1DX support 14fps tracking

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

mttran wrote:
Jim, sure canon can build more delicate mirror to support the extra frame but it will be one expensive cam than last one.

Michael, I don't need more fps. I could use more MPx for some applications, but that's generally for more-or-less static subjects. In other situations, I use 6D and/or Fuji X cameras.

I figure I'll decide where to lay my "high MPx" (low fps) bucks, later this year. I could even (possibly) hold my breath until next spring. It's all good.

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:12 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Jim, i am waiting for canon to bring out a bomb so I can steal one of 1DX dirt cheap

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Me too.

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:20 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yeah, but compared to my 1D X, 36MP is double the pixel density, so I'd have to use a 1.4x TC on the same lens to get the same pixels per duck if FL limited. The 7D pixel density is 2.56x the 1D X and so the D810 is not that far behind for reach, has massively better IQ and DR, and allows a full 36MP when not FL limited. 7fps in DX crop mode is only 1fps behind 7D and IMO 7fps is fine for most purposes. I rarely use my 1D X in 12fps and have mapped
...Show more

Yeah. I thought 8 FPS was fine when I was shooting 1D2's, but experience shooting sports/equestrian showed me that the 1D4 at 10FPS gave me more keepers and the 1DX at 12FPS gave me even more. Especially gymnastics, volleyball, and track. You wouldn't think equestrian shots were that demanding on frames but riders are very picky about body position.

D810 may be a great camera but it's not the action crop body that I'm looking for. 7D2 at 24MP and 10FPS is in the sweet spot. Sadly, those specs are only rumors but I'm hoping.

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

ggreene wrote:
D810 may be a great camera but it's not the action crop body that I'm looking for. 7D2 at 24MP and 10FPS is in the sweet spot. Sadly, those specs are only rumors but I'm hoping.

No it's not an action cam per se, and it's only an idea if the 7D II does not have truly improved sensor tech. I guess the other answer will be Nikon's own 7D II challenger. Rumours persist of D9300 coming soon and basically crop version of D810 with much faster shooting speed, but same AF and 24MP.

Still let's wait and see what Canon have cooked up. I'll forgive a "slightly" inferior (to Sony) sensor if AF is 1D X class, and it's 9-10fps. As long as noise is improved 1 stop in RAW, better DR and less shadow noise, then fine by me. But cannot be tiny incremental improvements like has happened (or not happened depending on your POV) for last 8 years.

Jul 09, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

StillFingerz wrote:
It's a minor point, but Nikon's spec sheet for the 810 states 7fps is possible with the add-on grip, plus they list a specific battery that must be used.

The 7D's 8fps is pretty speedy already; compared to my 40D, if Canon bumped it up to ten it would be quite sweet. I wonder if they will though that's getting close to the 1DX's FPS. Also, the DIGIC6 CPU has been used on a point-n-shoot, but nothing else I'm aware of, maybe we'll see it in this still phantom body, you might need it and more trying to push 24MP at
...Show more

Jerry thats a trick Nikon pulled with the D700/D300 as well . im all for a grip giving you extra benefits rather than being a battery tube (id like a grip that offered more cards slots for example ) . But the Old D700/D300 grip reqired you to purchase the battery from a D3 (not cheap at all) plus the charger (again not cheap) and i think a special end cap for the battery .
or you could run it on AA's and get the same higher FPS (but from past experience of AA's in a grip i bet for not very long )

so if you didnt already own a D3 it was quite an outlay to get a couple more FPS . and to my mind if the camera is capable of the higher FPS but just needs the extra juice from a more powerfull battery then they should supply the higher power (wouldnt have to be high capacity D3 battery) battery
but then the synic in me thinks it probably didnt have to have the extra power , more like the camera recognising the D3 type battery just turned on a mode that was already there

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:36 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Rumours persist of D9300 coming soon and basically crop version of D810 with much faster shooting speed, but same AF and 24MP.

Now that would be worth a look, especially if the build quality is up there.

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Still let's wait and see what Canon have cooked up. I'll forgive a "slightly" inferior (to Sony) sensor if AF is 1D X class, and it's 9-10fps. As long as noise is improved 1 stop in RAW, better DR and less shadow noise, then fine by me. But cannot be tiny incremental improvements like has happened (or not happened depending on your POV) for last 8 years.

My worry is that the initial price rumor is low. If the rumors pointed to $3000 I'd be much happier as then I would be more confident of 1DX like AF, 10FPS, better build, better high ISO, better buffer. It's iffy whether Canon will do all that at $2000.

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:33 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Jerry thats a trick Nikon pulled with the D700/D300 as well . im all for a grip giving you extra benefits rather than being a battery tube (id like a grip that offered more cards slots for example ) . But the Old D700/D300 grip reqired you to purchase the battery from a D3 (not cheap at all) plus the charger (again not cheap) and i think a special end cap for the battery .
or you could run it on AA's and get the same higher FPS (but from past experience of AA's in a grip i bet for
...Show more

Just curious I tried pricing an actual EN-EL15a Nikon battery and charger for the 810 and so far no one has any listed. Nikon has the grip listed as an accessory for the 810, but no pricing for the special battery or charger to get 7fps; even tho the spec sheet mentions the battery as necessary. It's early, guess we have to wait for all of the 810's accessories to be available. It still looks like a cool upgrade/fix for the D800 series...

Back to 7D2 discussions

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:52 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

StillFingerz wrote:
Back to 7D2 discussions

Jul 09, 2014 at 08:04 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Pixel Perfect wrote:
No it's not an action cam per se, and it's only an idea if the 7D II does not have truly improved sensor tech. I guess the other answer will be Nikon's own 7D II challenger. Rumours persist of D9300 coming soon and basically crop version of D810 with much faster shooting speed, but same AF and 24MP.

Still let's wait and see what Canon have cooked up. I'll forgive a "slightly" inferior (to Sony) sensor if AF is 1D X class, and it's 9-10fps. As long as noise is improved 1 stop in RAW, better DR and less shadow
...Show more

I agree. Otherwise, I would contend one would be better off buying a 7D (cheap right now) & 6D and having the best of both worlds, while obviously missing out on low-light high-FPS shooting. But Canon is going to have to come a LONG way from where the 7D is on that front to make a real difference. I'm hoping we're all floored by the improvements they introduce when the time comes, but I can't help but be a little skeptical.

Jul 09, 2014 at 08:13 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

StillFingerz wrote:
Just curious I tried pricing an actual EN-EL15a Nikon battery and charger for the 810 and so far no one has any listed. Nikon has the grip listed as an accessory for the 810, but no pricing for the special battery or charger to get 7fps; even tho the spec sheet mentions the battery as necessary. It's early, guess we have to wait for all of the 810's accessories to be available. It still looks like a cool upgrade/fix for the D800 series...

Back to 7D2 discussions

Jerry , I think its the Battery from the D4 thats needed (EN-EL18 ?)
looking at BH prices that makes a battery about $130 and the charger $330 (it does charge 2 batteries though) and thats on top of the grip itself which is $350 PLUS a special cap BL-5 which attaches to the battery $25

so all up thats north of 800 bucks to gain that extra 2fps and just short of a grand if you wanted a spare battery as well .

Im glad canon havn't thought of that one yet . My old 7D ran at a decent 8fps out of the box and my 5D3 manages a good 6ps with needing to spend the extra . although its been shown (I had it happen) the 5D3 slows down the FPS a bit (i think mine drops to about 5) when the battery depletes past 50% .

Jul 09, 2014 at 08:55 AM
Jos Light

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

jcolwell wrote:
I just bought a new SL1 (100D) from Simon's in Montreal for about $390 US (free shipping, before sales tax). Does that mean the SL2 is coming... ?

HAHA..
Yeah, seriously. I picked up my t5i for $499. So, the t6i is due any second now.

Jul 09, 2014 at 08:25 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.