New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              25       26       end

Archive 2014 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

adamx12m wrote:
Not to sound negative about this rumor, but I think alot of people are expecting to this camera to surpass the 1D4 but I really don't think that will happen. The 1d3 is better than the 7d, the 1d4 will be better than the next 7d, and the 1DX will still be better than the next 5d3. I'm looking at this from a marketing viewpoint and of course I'd like to see all the 7d, 5d3, and 1dx updated soon.

I'd hope the 5D4 sensor is better than the 1DX, the video far better too. The 1DX will still have speed but otherwise I'd expect the 5D4 to be all around better, just slower trigger time and mirror return and less fps and maybe can't drive some super-tele AF quite as fast.

Jul 07, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

anthonygh wrote:
Hope that when the new camera finally arrives people can improve their photography with it...never mind the cost......new gear always equals becoming a better photographer.....

Some photographers may be limited by their gear. Try being a bird photographer or sports photographer and a 50mm lens being your longest lens. Or perhaps being physically limited by age or disability and needing 4 stop IS to get a sharp image. I take photos now that I never could have 25 years ago because of the technological improvements.

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

skibum5 wrote:
I'd hope the 5D4 sensor is better than the 1DX, the video far better too. The 1DX will still have speed but otherwise I'd expect the 5D4 to be all around better, just slower trigger time and mirror return and less fps and maybe can't drive some super-tele AF quite as fast.

If 5D4 is 39MP+ as I expect, you'll be lucky to have any more than 6fps anyway. Nikon is doing 5fps with D810 @36MP and 6fps @ 25MP, so it should be possible for digic 6 to offer same fps as current 5D III even if they almost double pixels. Hopefully 1D X II is 24MP while still offering 12fps and same per pixel noise as current sensor.

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

As a generation skipper I am more interested in the 5D Mark V. Or a great FF mirrorless carrying a Toshiba sensor - whichever comes first.

Any word on the Mark V? Guys? Anything?

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:56 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Paul Mo wrote:
As a generation skipper I am more interested in the 5D Mark V. Or a great FF mirrorless carrying a Toshiba sensor - whichever comes first.

Any word on the Mark V? Guys? Anything?

The word on the street, "It's going to be a game-changer!!!"

Jul 08, 2014 at 01:16 AM
nntnam
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

I would like to see a 5D4 or 3D or whatever FF boby that has new high-res sensor, great dynamic range at low ISO .

Jul 08, 2014 at 02:21 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Jeff Donald wrote:
Some photographers may be limited by their gear. Try being a bird photographer or sports photographer and a 50mm lens being your longest lens. Or perhaps being physically limited by age or disability and needing 4 stop IS to get a sharp image. I take photos now that I never could have 25 years ago because of the technological improvements.

I sign this. 30 years ago I shot life gigs at ISO 1600 color slides or ISO 3200 b/w negative with 1.4 at 1/15th and could be happy if 2 shots of a 36 exposures where "usable". Even those shots where more grainy than a 6MP digital shot 10 years ago at 1600. Todays ISO 12k performence is so clean, that I would not call it "noisy".

Jul 08, 2014 at 05:04 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Everyone that has breathed has died...does that mean breathing is the cause of death?

Jul 08, 2014 at 06:45 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The 1D IV will still have the much better build, sealing, integrated grip and better battery and customisability, but feature wise the 1 series are often out specced especially in resolution. And as technology improves it's not unusual at all to see far lesser cameras appear to offer better specs. You need to compare the 7D II to a 1D X not a 3 yo 1D IV.

Will be interesting to see what happens because Canon has created a lot of pent up expectations for this body. The rumor mill for this has been over the top and Canon themselves have fueled it by releasing vague info on how it will use "new" technology. Peoples perception of what it "should" be could come back to bite Canon in the ass if they try to cripple it too much.

The key for me will be the AF. If it's not at the 5D3 level then forget it. I will wait and see if the new 1DX2 offers greater pixel density. Would be nice to see an actual illuminated AF point as well instead of a black one that you can't see in a lot of cases.

Jul 08, 2014 at 07:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

RobertLynn wrote:
Everyone that has breathed has died...does that mean breathing is the cause of death?

Yes. That's obvious.

Jul 08, 2014 at 07:56 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

RobertLynn wrote:

jcolwell wrote:
Yes. That's obvious.

Actually, ... wrong.

Many people who have breathed are still alive, perhaps even close to a majority. I think Robert meant to say that everyone who has died has breathed.

But we both get Robert's point, which is essentially that correlation is not causation.

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

I think that Robert meant to say, "does that mean breathing is the cause of death?".

Further, I think that his statement was completely tongue-in-cheek, as was my reply. There is no right or wrong, in this case.

I'm not quite sure what you said, Alan, but it's good that we agree about it.

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:54 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

I'd rather see a Canon answer to the D8** series. Thats been far too long coming. A vastly improved (over the 7D) 7Dmk2 would be great as well

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:58 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Good catch. I type a lot on my mobile and miss mistakes, OR I see them and deleting is a PITA.

That was exactly my point, you're correct.

Monito wrote:
Actually, ... wrong.

Many people who have breathed are still alive, perhaps even close to a majority. I think Robert meant to say that everyone who has died has breathed.

But we both get Robert's point, which is essentially that correlation is not causation.

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Bones74 wrote:
I'd rather see a Canon answer to the D8** series. Thats been far too long coming. A vastly improved (over the 7D) 7Dmk2 would be great as well

If 7D II does not have new gen sensor, the Nikon D810 may well be my new crop camera

Jul 08, 2014 at 05:42 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Bones74 wrote:
I'd rather see a Canon answer to the D8** series. Thats been far too long coming.

Which is funny, because Nikon just released the D810 to better answer the 5D III, which they previously had no alternative for (the D700 being long discontinued).

Jul 08, 2014 at 05:59 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

Pixel Perfect wrote:
If 7D II does not have new gen sensor, the Nikon D810 may well be my new crop camera

If I wasn't shooting a lot of sports and equestrian I might agree but even in DX mode 7FPS is still a little too low and you give up pixel density as well. Hoping the 7D2 is 24MP and 10FPS. I want a 1DX companion.

Jul 08, 2014 at 07:01 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

It's a minor point, but Nikon's spec sheet for the 810 states 7fps is possible with the add-on grip, plus they list a specific battery that must be used.

The 7D's 8fps is pretty speedy already; compared to my 40D, if Canon bumped it up to ten it would be quite sweet. I wonder if they will though that's getting close to the 1DX's FPS. Also, the DIGIC6 CPU has been used on a point-n-shoot, but nothing else I'm aware of, maybe we'll see it in this still phantom body, you might need it and more trying to push 24MP at 10FPS...

Jul 08, 2014 at 07:56 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

I think like the 7D, it'll need dual DIGIC 6 processors and a DIGIC 5 for the AFfunctions.

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · OMG - 7D II is coming...

I think that 8 fps is pretty good for most action shooting, but the most important performance metric is how long the camera can sustain this frame rate, before the "write buffer" is full (and how fast does it empty). My 1DX and 1DIV both offer faster fps (12 fps and 10 fps), plus they can sustain that for a long time (forever, if you shoot in bursts, and have fast and capacious cards). The 1DII (8.5 fps) and 1DIII (10 fps) that I previously owned also had relatively "deep" buffers - way deeper than the 40D and 7D cameras that I also owned.

So, 8 fps on a 7D is nowhere nearly as good as 8.5 fps on a 1DII, because the 1DII can sustain this frame rate for much longer than the 7D. Plus, the 1DII had better AF than the 7D.

Jul 08, 2014 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.