Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Should I get the Canon 17-40?

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Should I get the Canon 17-40?

JesseShotland wrote:
I would probably mostly use it for landscape work, so the f/4 doesn't bother me much. How is this lens? should I save a little more and get the 16-35 f/4 IS? Is that better? How does the lens fair with filters for landscapes?

at f8 and smaller: after DPP digital lens optimizer plugin you hardly tell the differences between them on 32" screen but of course, new lens is better for larger print

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:46 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Should I get the Canon 17-40?

JesseShotland wrote:

should I save a little more and get the 16-35 f/4 IS? Is that better?

Yes. And yes.

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:10 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Should I get the Canon 17-40?

molson wrote:
Yes. And yes.

Well, the lens has only just been released so is still at a premium, I think it will settle back in price

Plus if you don't need IS and can stop down the 17-40L is the same IQ more or less with a more useful, slightly sharper long end.

No doubt the 16-35 f4IS is making a lot of heat right now, but that's right at the margins of lens performance. Is that worth twice the price to you?

I could trade up and my business would pay but I'm not going to.

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:38 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Should I get the Canon 17-40?

dhphoto wrote:
Plus if you don't need IS and can stop down the 17-40L is the same IQ more or less with a more useful, slightly sharper long end.

No doubt the 16-35 f4IS is making a lot of heat right now, but that's right at the margins of lens performance. Is that worth twice the price to you?

The 17-40L doesn't get as sharp as the 16-35 f4L IS at any aperture, at the wide end... and I have plenty of better choices at the long end of that range... and the price difference was only about C$250, not double... so yes, it was well worth it to me.

Jul 09, 2014 at 03:55 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Should I get the Canon 17-40?

Google the lens.....I have read several reviews in the past so they must be out there somewhere.

I own one and it does fine for exhibition prints to A2 size.....my max.

Jul 09, 2014 at 08:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.