Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Safari Tips

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Safari Tips

Hi everyone!

It looks like I'll be taking a trip next month to visit South Africa, and one of the things we're going to try to do is go on a safari.

Can anyone let me know what I should definitely have (or try to have) in my bag to maximize the experience?

Currently I'm using a Canon 5D2 and my longest focal length lens is a 70-200 f4. I was planning on buying a 1.4x extender to pull a little more range.

From those who have done it - what are some things that I should bring along? Will the 70-200 get me into the action enough without having to go nuts with cropping?

Forgive me if this question has been asked to death.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jul 07, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Wayne Crumm
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Safari Tips

Rent a 100mm-400mm zoom lense. It would cover most of what you will be photographing. I've been to Tanzania twice and that's what I used but your guides will help you out when getting closer to the animals without disrupting them. Enjoy!

Jul 14, 2014 at 01:41 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Safari Tips

Thanks Wayne! I'm actually going to snag one of the Tammy 150-600s for the trip.

Feel free to post any tips or stories from your trips that you feel might help prepare me for getting the most out of the experience.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 14, 2014 at 01:51 PM
UKbadger

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Safari Tips

It all depends on whether you go for a self-drive hire car safari in somewhere like Ado or Kruger NP, or pay up for the “big bucks” luxury private reserves and have someone else drive you around in a safari vehicle and find the animals for you. Everyone seems to know about the latter, but haven’t always considered the SA self drive option. Go to the “Sanparks” web site forum and explore the trip reports section to find out what you might expect.
If you are challenged in the $ department or you just can’t stand someone else having all the fun finding the game for you, this is a surprisingly inexpensive option, if a little adventurous for some!
100-400 is the best bet for Kruger unless you want to spend big, or very big indeed [200-400 ----]!
A big been bag is essential for self drive, I take a spare!
Have a great trip
UKB

Jul 14, 2014 at 02:18 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Safari Tips

UKB,

At the moment it looks like we'll be self-driving in Kruger NP and will be tasked to track down all the lovely creatures ourselves.

A beanbag + spare is definitely on the list of must-haves.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jul 14, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Safari Tips

If you're self driving Kruger, you want all the lens you can get. I don't know much about the Tammy, but I think it would be a great choice. I self drove Kruger with my family last year, the 100-400 with a 7D was used for the reach, 5D3 when I could get away with it. 7D's are cheap enough now you might consider getting one for the trip and selling it when you get back.

A bean bag is crucial, I have never used the "molar" bag, but those look superior for shooting from a car.

You're restricted to roads and there's no telling where the wildlife will be. Be sure to bring something wider for closer shots, just keeping a P&S handy is worthwhile.

I would check into one of the guided game drives from camp. The cost is nominal.
We heard Sanparks was starting a camp in Kruger that is more like the private camps in that they included game drives and they go off road, but I couldn't find it on their website, so don't know if it's up and running.

Bring good binoculars and spend time looking...or just drive around and see what you find, which works also. The pic below was with my iphone, it's just for perspective as it was pretty exciting that they were so close. I was driving, my wife had no interest in driving on the wrong side of the road. These guys (gals?) were walking perpendicular to the road, so we were at the right place, right time...the whole encounter was just a minute or two.

Happy to answer any questions about the camps or the logistics, though I've only been once and there's a wealth of knowledge on the forum.

Jul 16, 2014 at 01:01 AM
Kruger01

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Safari Tips

I've been to Kruger 8x in last 7yrs, all self drive, August will be cold in the evening but the weather will be warm and dry as you are towards the end of winter.
The other benefit is the low grass heights at this time and the increased chance of seeing predators near rivers. If not in a high vehicle (4*4, SUV) then suggest you get an auto trans not stick as it's easier to manouvre near sightings.
There are sightings boards at main camps, picnic spots and gate entrances but talk to people re sightings as lions are very lethargic during the day and will remain insitu for most of the day.
Drive at about 50-60% of advised speed limits or you will drive by sightings.

see the link for a good map, just keep clicking to expand.

Have a great trip and feel free to ask for any advice.

Bill

http://www.ecotravel.co.za/Guides/Reserves/KNP/KNP_Map_Full.htm

Jul 16, 2014 at 05:34 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Safari Tips

Scott and Bill - thanks for the tips!

I actually just picked up a 7D from another FM user, so I should be covered with extra reach from the crop sensor as well as have a backup.

How much of a factor will dust be at this time of year? I was told that it would be a good idea to bring a couple pillow cases to keep the dust away from the gear between shooting.

Should we try to rent a specific vehicle (SUV vs sedan/etc)?

We watched some Youtube videos on the various camps throughout the park. I've read that the southern area tends to be the best for spotting most of the bigger stuff. We are probably limited due to availability at this point, but are there certain camps that you suggest over others? I noticed that some offered a lot more to see than others after you are required to head back into camp for the night.

In addition to the self-driving, we also wanted to look into a morning walk and night drive. What are you opinions on those activities?

Again, THANKS!!

Jeff

Jul 16, 2014 at 06:21 AM
braam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Safari Tips

A week ago I was in KNP around Orpen and Satara on self drive safari. Grass is low. In sections they already did the burning and the green shoots are out attracting some game. In a 10 hour visit we saw 4 of big 5 (except leopard) and a large variety of animals and birds. Generally the south does have more animals.

Advice given above is good. Try convince your wife to drive and then sit in rear seats so that you have access to both sides. With the grass short a sedan vehicle is fine - gives you a lower perspective ( more eye level) on animals which is more pleasing in my view than a top down perspective.

Enjoy KNP. Been there dozens of times and it is outstanding for low budget and self drive safari as the wildlife are very accustomed to vehicles and people.

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:28 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Safari Tips

Thank you braam!

I'll do my best to reserve an automatic rental car so the wife can drive.

I agree in regards to the perspective - closer to the ground makes you feel more "there".

Jul 16, 2014 at 07:32 AM
Kruger01

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Safari Tips

Just a thought, will you be there for more than 6 days in the park. San Parks offer a "Wild Card" for 2360Rand which covers a couple for 12 months entrance at all 19 Gov'nmt parks and is cheaper than paying daily for the Kruger.

Recommended is Satara, Lower Sabie and Berg en Dal. If you can sit still for a while, I recommend the bird hide at Lake Panic (3m north of Skukuza) for hippos, crocs and birds.
Just outside Lower Sabie is Sunset dam, great for hippos, storks and this year 2 Black Rhino.
Previous contrib said go on san parks website see link for access where you will soon become addicted

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=b4e8265ffc2745199f30118499be3ba7

Jul 16, 2014 at 01:14 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Safari Tips

Thanks Kruger! Unfortunately our trip is split between Cape Town and Kruger, so we'll only be in the park for about 4 days total.

How easy is it to navigate the park via map? Plenty of landmarks or signs?

Jul 16, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Kruger01

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Safari Tips

When you first enter the park, buy a map in the shop when you pay your entrance fees, gas is available at Satara, Skukuza and Lower Sabie. You have to pay in cash as a non ZA resident, a Bank is available at Skukuza. There are signposts at every junction on the tar roads with mileages, the park map books have good miles and waypoints marked but do not plan on driving at the limits 50kph on tar and 40Kph on dirt
to reach a camp. Don't underestimate the time to travel distances, when you get to a good sighting, time flies as does the shutter button. Look at the map link and start guessing possible routes. Don't worry about going on the dirt roads, as long as you have a light throttle saloon cars are perfectly capable. Just remember, visibilty is often poor on bends so be prepared for elephants crossing roads right in front/next to you. Just be patient, give them space and wait for stragglers before proceeding. Lions can walk right next to you 3ft or closer if lucky and just ignore you. Rhinos are generally very placid especially the white as are buffalo so just take care and give the animals space.

Try not to do too much, if you are flying up to KMIA airport, it's about an hour to Numbi Gate and the same to Malalene. Go for the one nearest the camp you book first if staying in the park and not day visiting. It's a near 5hr drive from Jo'burg on good roads except for the last 50m.

The rand is dirt cheap at the moment, food in the camp restaurants has improved but not great and service can be slow. rest stops at Tshokwane, Afsaal and Nkhule have great snacks. General accommodation in the park is not a high standard but you get an extra 30mins at the start and end of each day over a day visitor and you don't waste time travelling in and out.

If you don't like "slumming it", a cheapish alternative is Jock Safari lodge/Lukimbi safari lodge within the actual park, rates are reasonable 2 game drives a day excellent food and accommodation and a better chance of seeing what you want. This saves car hire as you can get a taxi to and from KMIA airport. You will still have to pay park fees. They have their own website so check it out.

Don't miss Table Mountain and the Waterfront/Robben Island in Cape Town, the surrounding area is beautiful especially the wine regions and the coast road to Hout Bay via Chapmans peak is not to be missed. Continuing on will bring you to Simonstown and Boulders Beach for the African Penguins

Have a great time, PM me if you have specific queries.

Jul 16, 2014 at 02:18 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Safari Tips

Kruger,

Thanks for all of this info - it's definitely helpful!

Expect a PM or three.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 16, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Safari Tips

How long are you in Cape Town? Are you visiting any of the surrounding areas?

Kruger01's Capetown advice is spot on, if you have the time I would add a trip up to Hermanus and some of the garden route.

Btw, I didn't figure it out for an embarrassingly long time, but it is common/expected to tip the gas station attendants, some of whom practically wash your car (especially in kruger) when filling up. Once I learned of my unintentional stinginess, it explained a lot of disappointed looks. We drove a lot and our Hyundai mini-suv didn't get very good mileage for as underpowered as it was.

And thanks Kruger01 for mentioning Jock's Lodge, I think those are the vehicles I saw that are the Sanparks version of a private safari - sounds like a good alternative to self driving if you only have a few days.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:34 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Safari Tips

We'll be in CT/Simonstown for about 5-6 days for the white shark cage diving with Apex. Each day has either a morning or afternoon dive, so we'll have some solid time for exploring the area.

We are definitely going to go to Table Mountain, Boulder Beach and the Cape of Good Hope.

Thanks for the tip about tipping!

Jeff

Scott T wrote:
How long are you in Cape Town? Are you visiting any of the surrounding areas?

Kruger01's Capetown advice is spot on, if you have the time I would add a trip up to Hermanus and some of the garden route.

Btw, I didn't figure it out for an embarrassingly long time, but it is common/expected to tip the gas station attendants, some of whom practically wash your car (especially in kruger) when filling up. Once I learned of my unintentional stinginess, it explained a lot of disappointed looks. We drove a lot and our Hyundai mini-suv didn't get very good mileage
...Show more

Jul 17, 2014 at 06:11 AM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Safari Tips

Wow - you're in for a treat. Funny, I wrote a that you should check them out, but they fill up so far in advance it wasn't likely you'd find a spot, so I deleted it. We went with Apex on one trip, we had gorgeous weather, nicest winter day in a long time many of them remarked. Water visibility was 30-40 feet and was beautiful and clear. Turns out those conditions are lousy for shark watching.

Needless to say, I was really disappointed and we wanted to go again, but they were booked solid the rest of our trip, the Discovery team was there shooting shark week 2014. Below is the Discovery film crew getting ready to go out after us.

I'll have to get some notes together for you, when do you leave?

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Safari Tips

Thanks Scott! We are crazy psyched for it all - apparently there has been a ton of action in False Bay and Seal Island lately!

We head out mid-August.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.