Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

Dear Fellow Photographers,

My upcoming photo travel to NorthWest, Oregon and Washington States needs to be finalized soon.

After my photo journey at Bend, OR, I will leave early in the morning of 9/22 after a sunrise shot possibly near Bend and need to arrive Forks, WA on 9/25 afternoon. During those few days in between, I would like to explore either Mt. Rainier or the Palouse. Looking at the Map, the Mt Rainier would have better proximity, 10 total hours vs 14 hours driving, but the Palouse which is so unique seems attracting as well. In case it should be the Palouse, then I would like to know any good photography location on the way from Bend to the Palouse, which is over 6.5 hours driving.

This is my first travel to these areas and I would appreciate very much if you could advise me with your experience. Both areas.. I will need lodging information as well.

And one more.. I would like to stay near the Trillium Lake one night before heading down to the Crater Lake/Bend. It seems not easy to find any lodging near that area. Should I consider staying in Hood River area and drive to the Trillium for a sunrise?

Again, thanks in advance for your helping hands.

Kee

Jul 07, 2014 at 12:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

You might easily have missed it, but FM recent created a new forum for questions like this one: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/51

Take care,

Dan

Jul 07, 2014 at 02:14 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

Seems like you are trying to fit too much into a short amount of time.

From Forks, WA to Mt, Rainier is a bit of a haul. What part of Rainier? If you are going to Sunrise, I bet it would take you 7 hours or more.

I would cut out Palouse altogether. Simply too much driving. Other than the hills and falls, not much else out there. Do you just want to see the places, or experience them? You only have 2 days to explore?

Jul 07, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

In fact I fly into PDX on 9/12 and out on 9/29.
I have made arrangement to spend 4 days at Crater/Bend area and 4 days at Forks, WA.
And time in between those two arrangement is to spend in Columbia River Gorge 9/12-9/16,
and at some place in 9/21-9/25. That is where I had this lingering question where.
Initially after Bend area, I was going to Mt. Rainier for 3 days before heading to Forks, WA for ONP.
I may even have to give up that area as well, and visit Mt. St. Helens instead.
My plan is open. However, perhaps I will need to make arrangement soon.
Yes, somewhere easy hike and do some landscape and enjoy the scenery would be great.
It will be nice if someone can give me a local guide to areas like CRG, Mt. Rainier, or Mt. St. Helens.
Thanks, Dustin. I hope your shoulder pain is less nowadays.

Jul 07, 2014 at 02:36 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

I am in Colfax at the moment (n the Palouse) on my way to Auburn on a family visit so no chance for photography. Other than the the falls, the Palouse is just boring green farmland. I would choose Rainier in a heartbeat. But it is too soon for flowers, August is the best time, and unless you like long hikes, Paradise is the best place.

Jul 07, 2014 at 02:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

What Dan said.

Jul 07, 2014 at 03:09 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

Thanks Ben for your input. Very much like I will have to plan on to Mt. Rainier for 2-3 days before heading to ONP. After ONP, on the way to Portland to take a flight out, I may have a chance to stop by Mt. St. Helens for sunrise? or sunset.

Have a healthy summer.

Kee

Edited on Jul 08, 2014 at 10:52 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2014 at 06:42 PM
Raven Falls
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

You're talking about late September -- by that time, I think the Palouse will be pretty much tapped-out. The wildflowers at Rainier will be gone as well, but autumn foliage should be reaching its peak there around then. Given that, I'd definitely go with Rainier.

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mt. Rainier or The Palouse?

Hello James,
Thanks for your suggestion. I am very convinced that I would take Mt. Rainier over the Palouse.
I am very fortunate enough getting wealth of information that I need from your site, especially Columbia River Gorge... :-) how to 'walk' to take some wonderful waterfalls!
Kee

Jul 08, 2014 at 12:23 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password