Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

steve g
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

1st ever African Safari coming up in September and I'm thinking about camera/telephoto support in a safari vehicle.

We will be in southern Africa where, I believe, the vehicles aren't well suited to beanbag support (open vehicles, no sides, or roof).

I've read some folks tether a monopod to the rail across the seat row in front of them, and indeed there appears to be a RRS system that is designed for this: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.601/it.C/.f

Like all RRS stuff it looks superb but expensive.

I'm wondering if there is a simpler way.

I have heard of folks strapping the monopod to the rail with tyre inner tubing but not sure how to make this work.

I've wondered if 2 interlaced strips of Velcro (One wrapped tight around the seat rail, the other wrapped around the monopod tube) might work. I will have less than 5Kg cam + lens (more like <3kg) so it doesn't have to be super rigid, I think.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this.

Thanks

Jul 05, 2014 at 10:21 PM
phcorrigan

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

I know it means carrying extra gear, but have you considered a window mount?

Jul 06, 2014 at 12:33 AM
steve g
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

No windows on these vehicles either!

Jul 06, 2014 at 01:22 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

RRS has the gear few have thought about. and this scenario is one of them.
designed for roll bar clamping and such. it is a limited production run product.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.601/it.C/.f

Jul 06, 2014 at 07:38 AM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

If it were me......I'd mount this lighting clamp onto the post and figure out a way to attach a heavy ballhead or Gimbal or big lens head.

Al

Jul 06, 2014 at 03:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

what if the tube diameters vary? you are assuming one uniform size.

Jul 06, 2014 at 04:20 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

sjms wrote:
what if the tube diameters vary? you are assuming one uniform size.

Common! I'm from NJ! You underestimate me. Considering the price.... I would bring the 1 1/2" and a 1". The 1" would practically fit any size since it would be smaller. This is why I don't spend rediculous amounts of money to mount my big lenses. I just go into my shop and manufacture my own. It's not rocket science.
Here's an example of a homemade window mount which cost about $ 20.00, minus the Acratech. It works better than anything I've seen on the market for a lot less.

Al

Jul 06, 2014 at 06:28 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

Something like this would fit just about any round tubular vehicle support.

Al

Jul 06, 2014 at 06:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

kbarrera wrote:
Common! I'm from NJ! You underestimate me. Considering the price.... I would bring the 1 1/2" and a 1". The 1" would practically fit any size since it would be smaller. This is why I don't spend rediculous amounts of money to mount my big lenses. I just go into my shop and manufacture my own. It's not rocket science.
Here's an example of a homemade window mount which cost about $ 20.00, minus the Acratech. It works better than anything I've seen on the market for a lot less.

Al

come on! maybe but common! not at all
you are correct to an extent, though fixed diameters products might be an issue, and i needed a little kick especially since the answer was just a few feet from me.

Manfrotto, also available in Oz, makes a clamp called the super clamp. you will need to adapt to your mount as needed. relatively cheap and darned stable when snugged up. has various points to adapt to. there are also copies out there too.

http://www.manfrotto.com/lighting-clamps-super-clamps

used in the film industry a lot

Edited on Jul 07, 2014 at 12:25 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2014 at 09:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

Yes, super clamps are great!

A quick g-oogle shows roll bar tubes are often 1.75" diameter, which should be OK for the normal super clamp. Here's two shots of one of my super clamps; the first with a 2 1/16" diameter, and the second with 2 3/8" diameter. The first is no problem; excellent grip. The second is a bit more than I would want to use.

So, if the roll bar tubes (or whatever) are 2" or less in diameter, you'll be fine with a super clamp.

The double-ball head shown in the last two images makes a nice partner for the super clamp. You can even attach an A-S clamp at one end.

Jul 07, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

Steve,
I've made several trips to Africa, 20 days plus in South Africa and recently central Africa. Shooting out of the vehicles in S.A. were no problems with monpod and or I used a Puffin Pad or bean bag. The problem with tethering is you now have limited mobility. Many times my FOV needed a quick change and had I been stationary I would have missed more than a few shots. The ability to turn around and stand up makes a difference. If you are on a safari geared to photography you should have access to both sides of the vehicle, not all companies work this way but that also is important.

I've also seen some of the tethered units come loose while moving, not a good thing. Kruger is maintained fairly well should you be heading there but off the path is like any off road, can get rough.

The 500/4 is my longest lens and very easy to manage w/monpod or HH. I always take a light weight tripod for those late night, early morning shots but in the vehicle its at least two bodies w/lens, one prime and one zoom. As you know dust can be an issue so no lens change till I'm in camp, and a monpod.

Gerard

Jul 07, 2014 at 02:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

Taoguy wrote:
...no problems with monpod and or I used a Puffin Pad or bean bag. The problem with tethering is you now have limited mobility.

Hey Gerard,

Good points, all. I'm still not sure why Steve wants to 'tether' his monopod. I was caught up in answering the question.

I use monopods in a wide variety of situations, but I've never 'tethered' one (that's what a tripod is for). I sometimes stabilize the monopod by 'clamping' its foot against my foot, while leaning in a bit on the camera/lens to push the middle or upper part of the monopod against a railing, or put the monopod foot 'way out' in front, so that it leans back into me.

I've used the "double-ball head on an oak plank" system (third photo in my post above) tied to a railing, for long exposures at night, from a hotel balcony, but that's a different situation, for sure.

P.S. I used a Puffin Pad to support the ABS pipe used in the second super clamp photo, above. It's a very versatile and very light weight support solution.

Jul 07, 2014 at 04:04 PM
steve g
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

Thanks for the great advice and efforts made to post pics etc.

My interest in "tethering" was really to increase stability in low light situations (early morning and evening drives) where fast shutter speed may be a problem.

Have never done this before so I really don't know how much an issue this is.

Also the RRS Safari Kit really got me interested, plus the videos on their site of the kit in use in Botswana.

I appreciate the flexibility of not having anything tethered however, and it would be less gear to take if you thought I get get away without it in low light.

Thanks again.

Jul 07, 2014 at 06:40 PM
irreversible

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

Gotta agree with Taoguy on the whole no tethering thing. I just got back from a South Africa and Kruger National Park trip and rented a monopod for exactly your purposes, but ended up just ditching it and shooting handheld. In my case, all the vehicles I were in were covered with canvas roofs with metal framed windowless doors. Maybe a bean bag would have been useful but often found myself moving about and shooting at angles where it would not have helped much. ISO performance became the critical factor to allow for fast shutter speeds regardless of light.

It was only my first time out there and I was totally winging it, so YMMV. Good luck!

Edited on Jul 12, 2014 at 01:53 PM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2014 at 01:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

steve g wrote:
1st ever African Safari coming up in September and I'm thinking about camera/telephoto support in a safari vehicle.

We will be in southern Africa where, I believe, the vehicles aren't well suited to beanbag support (open vehicles, no sides, or roof).

I've read some folks tether a monopod to the rail across the seat row in front of them, and indeed there appears to be a RRS system that is designed for this: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/sc.26/category.601/it.C/.f

Like all RRS stuff it looks superb but expensive.

I'm wondering if there is a simpler way.

I have heard of folks strapping the monopod to the rail with tyre
...Show more

Which lens are you using? I've done over a dozen safari trips in various vehicles. Usually the people who bring tripods or monopods on a vehicle abandon them after the second day. If you do bring a monopod, tethering is of limited use. Some people use clamps but they are also quite limiting in mobility. I'll use beanbags, molar bags, even a folding window type clamp to support a lens, but normally only the larger lenses. Lenses such as an 80-400 are often used handheld with my body or arm leaning on the vehicle as needed. There are some different types of vehicles used by different operators, so you may want to contact them for information.

EBH

Jul 12, 2014 at 01:44 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

My set-up (which I have now used successfully for many safaris):

I use two Manfrotto Super Clamps bolted permanently together: one clamps to the seat-rail in front of me and the other clamps to a Monopod which is then wedged tightly to the floor of the land-cruiser.

The upper section of the monopod provides instant adjustment for height.

A Wimberley head (with Arca clamp) on the monopod supports a D3S camera and 200-400 mm lens and provides perfect balance and finger-tip control.

The lens foot is fitted with an Arca Swiss plate. This set-up copes with off-road conditions and the Arca system permits very quck mounting and dismounting.

My second camera, often with the 70-200 on it, is used hand-held.

Jul 15, 2014 at 04:42 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

I was in SA in April and never used support. At equal intervals, I was shooting out the front, side, or even opposite side of the vehicle. A monopod would have simply impeded my shots. Obviously my experience may not mirror everyone, but I had no use for a 'pod of any sort while in the vehicles.

Bob

Jul 15, 2014 at 05:19 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

Forget all the clamp suggestions and just go with the Velcro straps. They can adapt to any size and shape, are light, cheap, and easy to pack around.

A no-brainer.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:17 AM
steve g
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tethering a Monopod to Safari Vehicle?

Thanks for all the advice.

This time I'll go with velcro and post back here my thoughts!

Thanks

Jul 18, 2014 at 07:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.