Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

Is there any reason to buy a Nikon 1 instead of the Sony RX100 for a small, pocket camera? (I already have a D610 DSLR).

Jul 05, 2014 at 02:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

The Nikon 1 system has a raft of compact, lightweight, portable, high-quality lenses that work great with the system's fast autofocus. None, however, will give you the compactness and flexibility offered by the RX100s- so there's that.

I'd expect the decision to hinge on why you'd want a compact camera to complement your D610.

Jul 05, 2014 at 02:53 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

I wish my RX100 had more zoom length, however it's small and very pocket-able. I have thought about replacing my RX100 with a Nikon 1 to be able to have more reach when needed.

Jul 05, 2014 at 03:57 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

I want a compact camera to complement my D610 for hiking and for "stealth" type crowd shots.

Good IQ, low noise at high ISO... I just can't get over the 1" sensor in that little camera -- despite the lack of a longer zoom.

Jul 05, 2014 at 04:48 PM
Rags Hef
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

I have the V2, had the V1 & that didn't work for me

It's a 1" sensor so the low light performance is not as good as others and there is noise.

That said, if you want blazing speed AF and blazing fps; it can't be beat

There is now a 70/300 for the N1. I have the 10 2.8 and the 30/100.

I like the ability to use my dslr lenses - but you lose your compactness

I have the 610 and don't like the focus point in the viewfinder, but the V2 is fantastic

Rags

Jul 05, 2014 at 07:28 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

The Nikon 1 cameras are not pocketable like the Sony RX 100. I think the Sony has also tweaked the sensor to get better results than the Nikon.

Jul 06, 2014 at 06:14 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

rw11 wrote:
I want a compact camera to complement my D610 for hiking and for "stealth" type crowd shots.

Good IQ, low noise at high ISO... I just can't get over the 1" sensor in that little camera -- despite the lack of a longer zoom.

Yeah, I notice noise/IQ loss with the RX100, and I would expect the Nikon 1 to not be as good in that department. But for hiking, you can just slip the RX100 in a pocket and forget it's there while you are carrying your D610, too.

I have not had much fun using the RX100 for street, but mine doesn't have the articulated LCD (it's the version 1). I much prefer using my old NEX 5N for street with the articulated touch screen... That little camera is really stealthy for street.

Jul 06, 2014 at 10:47 AM
kinconorb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

If you're hiking most likely you're carrying a backpack with a plentiful amount of space. In all honesty just take the D610 along for the journey I've hiked quite a bit and always take my D700 along - most of the time carrying it around my neck or holding it with the strap wrapped around my wrist.

Personally I don't care much for the RX100 images. I have an RX100 II that I take along hiking to shoot video from various summits, so guess it's warranted but the photo quality IMHO doesn't compare to the D700 in the slightest! It's a great camera for sunsets and random photos or stealthy photos but I still prefer a DSLR.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Canyonlands
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

This original post was WAY back in July. rx11, did you decide? I own both the RX100II and a Nikon 1 system.

In short, my view is that the RX100II or RX100III is what you're looking for if we are talking about inside (event) stealth shots…. but if it's around camp, I'd likely have my DSLR. The scenery, sunsets and sunrises warrant lugging at least a DSLR along, IMHO. My Nikon 1 system is great for the middle ground.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

I bought the RX100M3 and am pretty happy with it. The Nikon one doesn't really make sense to me. It is seemingly designed for fast action shooting but the sensor just does not yield high IQ.

The D610 is obviously much better in every way except for wt.

Sep 13, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Canyonlands
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

rw11 wrote:
I bought the RX100M3 and am pretty happy with it. The Nikon one doesn't really make sense to me. It is seemingly designed for fast action shooting but the sensor just does not yield high IQ.

The D610 is obviously much better in every way except for wt.

Cool. The RX100 is amazing for its size. The Nikon 1 AW1 is amazing in that it's waterproof and pretty fast into action. I've had it in the ocean, lakes and pool. Wouldn't try that with the RX100.

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:19 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon One vs. Sony RX100??

I didn't realize the Nikon had that degree of waterproofing. My main use for a small camera is for walking around, candids, hiking, etc.

The Nikon One was interesting as you can put a nice Nikon tele on it with the FT-1 and get huge reach.

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.