New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

This morning as I was cleaning the imaging sensor of 1DX camera using a Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner" (see picture below), the felt tip partly separated (unglued) from its rubber base which came in contact with the sensor surface and left a small smudge on it. The smudge I cleaned up easily, without any trace as far as I could tell by looking at it with a naked eye. I hope the sensor is OK as one would not expect rubber to be able to abrade the sensor filter surface that easily, however, one never knows, and I shall take some test shots soon to find out.

I believe the cause of the felt tip separation is a manufacturing defect, thus I shall not be using that particular Lenspen type again, as I've never experienced anything of the sort with a wide variety of similar products used in the past.

Edited on Jul 19, 2014 at 09:51 AM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2014 at 05:31 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

Yikes. I can't say I'd ever suggest that anyone use a lens pen for sensor cleaning.

As a reusable and unsealed device, it's basically impossible to ensure that the tip is going to be completely free of anything that might damage the sensor. Not to mention the lenspen uses fine carbon powder, and I don't really want to put anything into the sensor area that doesn't evaporate.

Only packaged clean swabs for me, thanks... hope your sensor is okay.

Jul 05, 2014 at 06:47 AM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

PetKal wrote:
This morning as I was cleaning the imaging sensor of 1DX camera using a Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner" (see picture below), the felt tip partly separated (unglued) from its rubber base which came in contact with the sensor surface and left a small smudge on it. The smudge I cleaned up easily, without any trace as far as I could tell by looking at it with a naked eye. I hope the sensor is OK as one would not expect rubber to be able to abrade the sensor filter surface that easily, however, one never knows, and I shall take
...Show more

Not sure why you were using a "lens" cleaning tool on your sensor, big no-no. A typical LensPen has a slight concave profile whereas the SensorKlear is flatter with 3 pointed corners. Maybe the felt piece hooked onto a sidewall and got pulled off. Yes, take a test shot to see what the sensor looks like, I'll be interested. It's not good when a hard object touches the surface, but hopefully you didn't mark it.

Nicholas
www.copperhillimages.com

Jul 05, 2014 at 06:50 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

One note from my personal experience of 9 years of camera CMOS cleaning: broad tipped lenspens have been the best tool for imaging sensor cleaning I have tried, in conjunction with finer tip lenspens for sensor edges and corners. "Sensorklear" I have tried and not impressed with it.

Incidentally, my 1DX sensor surface is OK, no marring of any sort can be seen in the images.

Jul 05, 2014 at 08:31 AM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

PetKal wrote:
One note from my personal experience of 9 years of camera CMOS cleaning: broad tipped lenspens have been the best tool for imaging sensor cleaning I have tried, in conjunction with finer tip lenspens for sensor edges and corners. "Sensorklear" I have tried and not impressed with it.

Incidentally, my 1DX sensor surface is OK, no marring of any sort can be seen in the images.

PetKal,

The tips are identical material and the graphite cleaning compound is the same. The only difference is in the shape of the head. I believe you're getting the products mixed up.

That's good news about the sensor.

Nicholas

Jul 05, 2014 at 08:51 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

Sensorklear:
*small area tip, requires multiple cleaning passes,
*overly loose adjustable arm joint,
*too expensive.

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:46 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

If you've been cleaning sensors for 9 years with a lens pen, you've been extremely lucky but it seems your luck just ran out...

Jul 05, 2014 at 03:33 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problem with Lenspen "Compact lens cleaner"

Let me clarify here something: my intent has not been to initiate a discussion of your (or my) preferred imaging sensor cleaning methods.

I merely wanted to alert lenspen users, whether they may be using lenspens to clean camera sensors, lens front elements or what have you, that the above described lenspen failure mode can happen, and in fact has happened to me this morning on a freshly unpacked/brand new lenspen of the type specified above.
I think that objective has been fulfilled, and now I wish you all a good day.

Jul 05, 2014 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.