New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Live view exposure vs not live view

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Live view exposure vs not live view

I have been using live view with 1Dx and set with Tv mode setting.

When I use live view the exposure recorded on the photo was 8" at f5.6

When I use regular capture the exposure recorded was 8" at f11

Camera was on a tripod and the only difference was live mode on vs off

I then went to manual settings and the exposure with or without live mode was exactly the same.

Anyone got an idea?

Photo one with live mode off

Photo two is with live mode on

Jul 04, 2014 at 12:37 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Live view exposure vs not live view

Live View meters using the image sensor vs the traditional metering sensor when not in LV. Both use similar metering algorithms and typically meter within 1/3 stop of each other. One thing to check is if you're using evaluative metering, which applies a heavy bias toward the active AF point. Outside of LV the active AF point is the one you see in the viewfinder. Inside of LV the active AF point is determined by the bounding box that you can move around the field of view. If the two are different then you'll get significantly different meter readings, the same as you would if you moved the active AF point outside of LV.

Jul 04, 2014 at 12:55 PM
JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Live view exposure vs not live view

Liveview meters the rectangle, not the entire scene. Try moving this and see the exposure change. With liveview off, the metering depends on the setting (evaluate, average, spot).

Jul 04, 2014 at 02:16 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Live view exposure vs not live view

So how do I get them to meter the same.....maybe I just need to put it in manual and be in control.

I have my CamRanger and was using it which is how I found this difference. I was getting ready for fire works tonight which is now tomorrow night. In order to get prepared I was trying things out. I had my 200 f2 and put in a 10 stop filter to simulate darker conditions. So I could figure out what I wanted for various settings....and any delays I might have to deal with. The live view with CamRanger has the same delay as though you push the button on the camera during live view. When I put the camera in normal view finder mode, the exposure was immediate just like triggering the camera with the button.

So I just tried without the ND 10 stop filter and while the difference in exposure wasn't as great, there was a difference, one stop difference.....

So short of manual mode, anyone have an idea how to make them the same? Or maybe the only way is with manual settings......

Thoughts? Or maybe it is what it is.....

Jul 04, 2014 at 03:16 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Live view exposure vs not live view

The AF point selected was as close to being on top of each other as I could make it........

JameelH wrote:
Liveview meters the rectangle, not the entire scene. Try moving this and see the exposure change. With liveview off, the metering depends on the setting (evaluate, average, spot).

Jul 04, 2014 at 03:17 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Live view exposure vs not live view

To make them consistently match, you'll have to use Manual exposure. You'll probably find it preferable anyway for fireworks. Find the best f/stop for exposure, leave it locked in, and play with shutter to tailor the results of bursts.

Jul 04, 2014 at 03:49 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Live view exposure vs not live view

I think I was arriving at that conclusion....raining today in Kennebunkport, Maine. Effects from the hurricane.....maybe tomorrow now!

Photon wrote:
To make them consistently match, you'll have to use Manual exposure. You'll probably find it preferable anyway for fireworks. Find the best f/stop for exposure, leave it locked in, and play with shutter to tailor the results of bursts.

Jul 04, 2014 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.