New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Need some advice on ebay sale

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I sold a Leica R 60mm macro on ebay and I listed it as excellent. The buyer has 100% feedback but something doesn't feel right. After I shipped the lens I sent him the tracking number but I made a mistake and didn't tell him it was a UPS tracking number. He contacted me asking if I sent it USPS or Fedex. I checked the tracking on it and it said it was delivered and left on the porch (6/18/14). I responded to let him what I found and never heard back from him until today. Now he sent me a couple of pictures claiming there is heavy haze in the lens and it's not excellent as described. He hasn't ask for a refund as of yet but I looked at the pictures I posted and I don't see any haze. I guess my question is would it be possible to manipulate a photo to show haze or possibly swapping out the lenses glass?
Here are a couple of photos I have of the lens.

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some advice on ebay sale

Mayhaps Rover left a doggie nose imprint when he wasn't looking? If stored in plastic, outgassing can produce a haze on glass elements. However, it's easy to clean off.

Jul 03, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I can't see it, but the pictures are not that great either
Maybe I would ask him to take the lens to the a professional and reliable camera repair shop. Better yet, you can do a research in his town, and if indeed there is one, call them directly and make arrangments directly with them for an evaluation - this way they will report directly to you.

It's possible that lens acquired some condensation internally, but a bit strange that it was not reported right away ( assuming the buyer tolf you yesterday about it)

Jul 03, 2014 at 04:28 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I am going to have him email me the pictures so I can post them here for your review.

Jul 03, 2014 at 04:32 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some advice on ebay sale

This goes on endlessly now on ebay that you can't leave negative feedback for the buyer. He could have done this to 10 sellers and gotten big refunds from them and you would never know it.

Jul 03, 2014 at 05:08 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some advice on ebay sale

What I have done in the past is simply have them send it back "as received". It's worth it to lose the shipping charges/fees and resell to a better buyer.

If you start to haggle back and forth over it you'll probably lose more anyway.

If he doesn't want to return it-then you can at least say "I offered buyer full refund but buyer refused my offer"-if he attempts to leave poor feedback.

Stinks though and I can feel your pain...

Jul 03, 2014 at 07:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I agree with Mongrel. Offer to take it back, and cover the insured/tracking shipping yourself. Do not offer a partial refund.

I sell a lot of gears on eBay and offer a seven-day return period for any reason, at the buyer's expense. I will cover the cost for return shipping if the lens is substantially different from the description. I've only provided a partial refund twice in 167 eBay sales (plus dozens of local sales). In both cases, I missed something that did affect resale value, but not optical or mechanical performance.

Jul 03, 2014 at 08:08 PM
clmusic
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I won two Elmarit R 60mm lenses from the bay and both have haze and I returned them to the sellers (they were happy to take it back, even paid the return shipping). It seems haze is common with that lens. It is hard to take photos of haze, some time you need to do a careful flash light test to check if haze is there.
IMHO, it is not worth to swap the glass. Just take the lens back or offer partial refund for cleaning.

Jul 04, 2014 at 01:31 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I will third what Mongrel and "the Jcolwell" have said.

Jul 04, 2014 at 01:49 AM
trebor1180

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some advice on ebay sale

Does the Lens have a serial number? He could be trying to pull a shifty and replacing his own lens with yours. I had someone try to do that to me once but I had a photo of the serial number to prove that it was my lens and that they were in fact trying to do a cheeky switch.

Jul 04, 2014 at 02:17 AM
campy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I have only had to give a partial refund once and have never had to take anything back. I asked him to send me larger pictures and informed him that if he sends it back I will have to inspect it before I issue a refund. I want to see if any of the screws were removed since it hard to remove a screw on a lens that old without marking the screw head up.

Jul 04, 2014 at 04:25 AM
baseballtwin

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I would just tell them to send it back and avoid the hassle.

Jul 04, 2014 at 10:05 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need some advice on ebay sale

baseballtwin wrote:
I would just tell them to send it back and avoid the hassle.

+1

Jul 04, 2014 at 01:42 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need some advice on ebay sale

If the buyer opens and wins a case with ebay, you will not only not have any onspection before refunding, he will get a refund as soon as online delivery back to you occurs. And you will end up covering shipping both ways. Just another screw job by ebay.

campy wrote:
I have only had to give a partial refund once and have never had to take anything back. I asked him to send me larger pictures and informed him that if he sends it back I will have to inspect it before I issue a refund. I want to see if any of the screws were removed since it hard to remove a screw on a lens that old without marking the screw head up.

Jul 04, 2014 at 07:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need some advice on ebay sale

Ed Sawyer wrote:
If the buyer opens and wins a case with ebay, you will not only not have any onspection before refunding, he will get a refund as soon as online delivery back to you occurs. And you will end up covering shipping both ways. Just another screw job by ebay.

I don't see how the seller gets hit for the original shipping to the buyer, when the buyer paid for that, on top of the selling price.

Jul 04, 2014 at 07:48 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I would just request the lens back, hopefully you took notes of the serial to ensure they aren't pulling a switch on you. I agree, usually Ebay "protection" will go to the buyers. take the small loss right now (the shipping and insurance back to you) and sell to someone else that is more reliable. also try to ask for signature in the future for your packages and not left in the front door. I thought paypal needed a signature for a certain amount to cover you

Jul 04, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need some advice on ebay sale

I find Japanese sellers on eBay aren't afraid to disclose the merest defects - to the point that you struggle to find said 'defects'.

Full disclosure and a solid description will go some way to finding more reasonable buyers - if you have described it well, even overstated problems (if any), then willing buyers of such items are usually decent people who won't be too anal.

Jul 04, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need some advice on ebay sale

Ebay will force the refund to cover the original shipping. Just another great shafting from eprey.

jcolwell wrote:
I don't see how the seller gets hit for the original shipping to the buyer, when the buyer paid for that, on top of the selling price.

Jul 05, 2014 at 08:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need some advice on ebay sale

Ed Sawyer wrote:
Ebay will force the refund to cover the original shipping. Just another great shafting from eprey.

That's why the buyer has to pay for return shipping when it's a "no questions asked" return. That way, we share the costs for shipping. I'm out of pocket for the original shipping, and the buyer is out of pocket for the return shipping.

If I made a mistake in the item description, then all of the shipping expenses are on me, as it should be.

I've only had a few returns of either type, in my 12 years and 668 Buy + Sell transactions (100% positive) on eBay.

Jul 05, 2014 at 10:53 AM
campy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need some advice on ebay sale

He has asked for a partial refund of $200. I asked him to ship it back for a refund.

Jul 05, 2014 at 01:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.