Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Chimayo Hills

Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chimayo Hills

Monsoon season has started this year in New Mexico. Last night just North of Santa Fe brought on some very cool weather. This one if from just outside of Chimayo. Taken with an IR modified Sony a7r and Nikon 14-24mm lens Hope you all can enjoy it

Chimayo Hills

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:29 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chimayo Hills

Hey klaus,

Great shot! Awesome start to the monsoon season. How many takes just to get the lighting strike in the middle

Jason

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:38 PM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chimayo Hills

Awesome. Really nice.

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:40 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chimayo Hills

Thats pretty cool!

Was it luck or perseverance to get the strike in the middle?

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:42 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chimayo Hills

Intense! Love it!

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:50 PM
danthebiker
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chimayo Hills

Wow

Jul 03, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chimayo Hills

Very cool Klaus! I saw some thunderstorms in Santa fe on June 13th. Grand scenery

Jul 03, 2014 at 06:17 PM
sangdabom73
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Chimayo Hills

Great shot, Klaus!!

I wonder if you captured the lightning with longer exposure? The IR gives special effect on the shrubs for sure.
Can you tell me if the textures on the dark clouds are actually from the scene or somehow put into the image due to IR or jpeg conversion or post process?

Awesome shot regardless =)

Jul 03, 2014 at 06:28 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Chimayo Hills

Ok, it is very nice fantastic stunning shot, but, i have one question

I can't see that IR effect much in this shot, i feel it is like a converted to B&W, even some can do better with B&W than this, so what as the point to convert the camera to IR when the results are not that much impressive as IR? really if you didn't say IR i will never know it is IR, so how can you convince me to convert my camera to IR when i don't see something really great about it?

If i am wrong, then how can i know what is IR different than B&W in mono B&W and not of colored IR?

Also, what will be a big difference between converted camera IR and IR filters used on lenses beside taking very long time long exposure with filters? I mean the result and not the procedure or shutter time.

Jul 03, 2014 at 07:26 PM
kellyakinsart
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Chimayo Hills

Beautiful Klaus.
Tareq, it is B&W, but the light and dark contrasts change with IR compared to non IR.

Kelly

Jul 03, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Chimayo Hills

Thanks for the comments everyone. Glad you have enjoyed it.
I set up the camera where the most lightning action is taking place. I usually center it where the bolts are generally coming out for the cloud base. This leaves room on either side of the storm if the bolts happen off the center area of the storm. Bolts generally come out of the cloud near the rain shafts. Not always but often enough to use that as a guideline for composition.

Tareq wrote:
Ok, it is very nice fantastic stunning shot, but, i have one question

I can't see that IR effect much in this shot, i feel it is like a converted to B&W, even some can do better with B&W than this, so what as the point to convert the camera to IR when the results are not that much impressive as IR? really if you didn't say IR i will never know it is IR, so how can you convince me to convert my camera to IR when i don't see something really great about it?

If i am wrong, then how
...Show more

Thanks and the things that IR does is cuts though haze and turns foliage white. It looks pretty obvious with the foliage in the shot that it is IR. Its not as pronounced as looking at a cottonwood tree or any other large leaf tree but its still there.
There are many other benefit in shooting IR but I wont go into them at this time.
The camera have been modified with an IR filter which is much different then using an IR filter in front of the lens. The filter in front of the lens works but is not very efficient and will often take many, many seconds of exposure time to capture an image.
I use an 830NM filter on my mod and will not make a very nice "color" IR image. The super color and blue IR filters are around 560nm + -. Therefore I process them in monochrome.

Jul 03, 2014 at 08:15 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Chimayo Hills

Amazing shot Klaus.

Phil

Jul 03, 2014 at 08:26 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Chimayo Hills

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. Glad you have enjoyed it.
I set up the camera where the most lightning action is taking place. I usually center it where the bolts are generally coming out for the cloud base. This leaves room on either side of the storm if the bolts happen off the center area of the storm. Bolts generally come out of the cloud near the rain shafts. Not always but often enough to use that as a guideline for composition.

Thanks and the things that IR does is cuts though haze and turns foliage white. It looks pretty
...Show more

I understand, thank you very much for clarification or explanation, learning new things!!!

Jul 04, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Chimayo Hills

AWESOME!!!! Bravo!

Fond regards,

Endre

Jul 04, 2014 at 01:24 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Chimayo Hills

Klaus,
Awesome shot ,great cloud detail which completely conveys the intensity of this storm ..the lighting strike brings the whole comp together. fantastic image regards Dean

Jul 04, 2014 at 07:01 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Chimayo Hills

Hey Klaus,

A cool shot here, you nailed a cool scene. I don't always care for the IR look, but with the B&W conversion the IR camera can make really sweet B&W's.

But.... you already Converted a A7R to IR? It makes sense, but remember in the old days people pretty much only converted their last generation backup cameras to IR.

Jim

Jul 04, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Chimayo Hills

Thank you all so very much for the comments. You are all very kind.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Klaus,

A cool shot here, you nailed a cool scene. I don't always care for the IR look, but with the B&W conversion the IR camera can make really sweet B&W's.

But.... you already Converted a A7R to IR? It makes sense, but remember in the old days people pretty much only converted their last generation backup cameras to IR.

Jim

Jim, Thanks and I have one of my a7r bodies converted to IR. I was hesitant in doing it but I am glad I did it. The quality of IR with this sensor is pretty amazing!
Now, other than the Nikon 14-24 I need to find a nice WA lens that will take filters for long exposure images. I have the Nikon 10-24mm which is a great lens on a crop body but only works from about 18-24mm on the full frame body. There are a lot of lenses out there but many don't work well with IR due to hotspot issues.

Jul 05, 2014 at 07:28 AM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Chimayo Hills

Another beauty Klaus!!

Jul 05, 2014 at 07:55 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Chimayo Hills

Excellent Klaus!
You seem to be one or two steps ahead of most of us here!

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:27 AM
berenosphoto
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Chimayo Hills

What an amazing shot! Sorry, but I can't come up with anything more constructive

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:45 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.