Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

  

First time posting - Off to High School
  
 
Spectrum Photo
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · First time posting - Off to High School


So this is the first time that I'm posting pics for C&C but I figure it''s important so here goes.

Here are a couple from a recent shoot of my friends daughter who's off to high school. Anything that you can offer would be awesome.

Cheers,
Sean



Spectrum Photo 2014

  SLT-A77V    DT 30mm F1.4 lens    30mm    f/1.4    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  





Spectrum Photo 2014

  SLT-A77V    DT 30mm F1.4 lens    30mm    f/1.4    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  





Spectrum Photo 2014

  SLT-A77V    DT 30mm F1.4 lens    30mm    f/1.4    1/1600s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  





Spectrum Photo 2014

  SLT-A77V    DT 30mm F1.4 lens    30mm    f/1.7    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jul 03, 2014 at 02:50 PM
Prettym1k3
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · First time posting - Off to High School


#4 is really beautiful. Her expression, the lighting, the pose, all well done.

The bottom of her dress is a little blown out, but that really doesn't bother me.



Jul 03, 2014 at 05:28 PM
dmacmillan
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · First time posting - Off to High School


I really like the last one, but it needs a little help. You are shooting in open shade and there's lots of foliage around, which is causing a green cast to the skin. It needs a little white balance work.

How are you editing these? I like the light, pastel look, but the hot hand, dress and book detracts from the face. I think they should be toned down a little.

Here's some suggestions for the next shoot. Have her pull her right arm away from her body slightly. Holding a bare arm next to the body flattens it out and makes it look larger than it actually is. Your Sony did a good job, but 30mm on a crop body like that is still a little short for portrait work this close. Notice the relative size of her hand compared to her face. When you have the hand so much closer to the camera than the face, it is going to distort the size. A longer lens will minimize the effect. Even on a crop body, I'd use a lens of 85mm, 100mm or even longer to prevent this.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing more!



Jul 03, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Prevelige
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · First time posting - Off to High School


I'd suggest a different crop in number 2. Her knee has a distinctly different skin tone that immediately caught my eye. Cropping out her bare knee would only "cost" a small portion of the book she's holding and the one on the sofa that's not integral to the image IMO.

Bob



Jul 03, 2014 at 06:59 PM
Spectrum Photo
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · First time posting - Off to High School




Prettym1k3 wrote:
#4 is really beautiful. Her expression, the lighting, the pose, all well done.

The bottom of her dress is a little blown out, but that really doesn't bother me.


Thanks! I thought about toning down the sun spot on her dress but opted to hold off.



Jul 03, 2014 at 07:37 PM
 



Spectrum Photo
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · First time posting - Off to High School




dmacmillan wrote:
I really like the last one, but it needs a little help. You are shooting in open shade and there's lots of foliage around, which is causing a green cast to the skin. It needs a little white balance work.

How are you editing these? I like the light, pastel look, but the hot hand, dress and book detracts from the face. I think they should be toned down a little.

Here's some suggestions for the next shoot. Have her pull her right arm away from her body slightly. Holding a bare arm next to the body flattens it out and
...Show more

Awesome! Thanks so much for the reply.
I use LR5 for the editing. I didn't notice the green cast on her face but I'll go into it again and play with it.
Great advice, that's exactly why I wanted to post for some feedback. Cheers!



Jul 03, 2014 at 07:40 PM
Spectrum Photo
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · First time posting - Off to High School




Prevelige wrote:
I'd suggest a different crop in number 2. Her knee has a distinctly different skin tone that immediately caught my eye. Cropping out her bare knee would only "cost" a small portion of the book she's holding and the one on the sofa that's not integral to the image IMO.

Bob


Yeah, I didn't catch that before. That's me trying to cheat with a post crop vignette instead of dodge and burning it properly. :-). Thanks!



Jul 03, 2014 at 07:41 PM
slickrick
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · First time posting - Off to High School


Great job....


Jul 03, 2014 at 10:23 PM
unclechuck
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · First time posting - Off to High School



This is a great series --- you beautifully capture her youth, personality and emerging future.

You'll get ideas for all sorts of tweaks --- which ones apply are up to you --- but in these images you have diamonds to work with.

Look forward to more of your work.



Jul 04, 2014 at 02:07 AM
Richard
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · First time posting - Off to High School


A great first effort you have mixed up the composition which is good agree a 50 or 85 would have given a different perspective


Jul 06, 2014 at 09:08 AM





FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password